Refurb desktop help

Posted 7th Nov
Hello everyone

after a but of advice, my son wants a computer for xmas to play minecraft, roblox and hello neighbour on for xmas, he already has a tablet and xbox one but is adamant on a pc to play these games on. I dont want to spend alot as he has other xmas presents

currently I'm looking at

itzoo.co.uk/pro…-10

and adding extra ram, a ssd and a cheap graphics card

would that be sufficient for what he wants to use it for or is the any another options for around same price?

thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
You'd have to up your budget to get a PC set-up that would be a step up from his Xbox One. By the time you added extra RAM and a graphics card to something like that you'd probably be better off just saving the money and putting it towards a mid-range gaming build PC eventually.
It's a small form factor so avoid like the plague.
Look at Intel i5 or better i7 to start.
And not small form factor either or you have compatibility issues.
Unfortunately, that is a 2014 CPU aimed at simple spreadsheets. Also, being an SFF desktop PC, it will have a very weak PSU (240W, I think) and won't support most GPUs.
Sorry, to get a mid-range gaming PC you are more like in the £400 - £500 range.
Would he be happy trying to build one? Could probably build something around a 2200g just to get up and running.
In the past I have built computer but been out of the game for like 5 years so dont know what good processors are anymore Haha, I can stretch to around 200 but doubt that is gonna get me anywhere near where I need to be, my son is only 5 but watches these minecraft videos on YouTube and wants mods etc Haha kids these days
jfoxon07/11/2019 17:05

In the past I have built computer but been out of the game for like 5 …In the past I have built computer but been out of the game for like 5 years so dont know what good processors are anymore Haha, I can stretch to around 200 but doubt that is gonna get me anywhere near where I need to be, my son is only 5 but watches these minecraft videos on YouTube and wants mods etc Haha kids these days

Wait a second, your son is only 5 years old but he has told you that he doesn't want to play Minecraft and Roblox on the Xbox One you already have, but wants to only play them on PC? I had no idea the PC master-race stated so young! Seriously though, just get him those games on your Xbox and sit him down with the controller, as soon as he starts playing he will forget what format it's on as he'll be too busy enjoying himself. Don't overthink this one.
Haircut_10007/11/2019 17:17

Wait a second, your son is only 5 years old but he has told you that he …Wait a second, your son is only 5 years old but he has told you that he doesn't want to play Minecraft and Roblox on the Xbox One you already have, but wants to only play them on PC? I had no idea the PC master-race stated so young! Seriously though, just get him those games on your Xbox and sit him down with the controller, as soon as he starts playing he will forget what format it's on as he'll be too busy enjoying himself. Don't overthink this one.

Haha I know its ridiculous, I want to get a computer for use with his 7 year old sister to use aswell for homework etc but yeah he has minecraft on his xbox but wants to play it on pc, I'm tempted to let him use my laptop and see if he gets bored of it. Hes just completed hello neighbour on xbox one, maybe I'll just get him more xbox one games
jfoxon07/11/2019 17:22

Haha I know its ridiculous, I want to get a computer for use with his 7 …Haha I know its ridiculous, I want to get a computer for use with his 7 year old sister to use aswell for homework etc but yeah he has minecraft on his xbox but wants to play it on pc, I'm tempted to let him use my laptop and see if he gets bored of it. Hes just completed hello neighbour on xbox one, maybe I'll just get him more xbox one games

Exactly, let him play the game on a console you already have in your house and look to get a gaming PC further down the line. But of course if you just wanted something cheap for your children to do their homework on then an inexpensive budget refurb PC isn't necessarily a bad idea, just don't look to it for gaming or throw money at it trying to upgrade it.
Dell Inspiron 5675/AMD Ryzen 3 1200/8GB Ram/1TB HDD/RX 480 8GB/DVD-RW/Win
£215 from CEX. There should be 2 years warranty.
uk.webuy.com/pro…win

This PC probably about 2 years old. And it is micro-ATX tower. You should be able to upgrade it in future if required
Just a random thought. It's crazy to think that a 5 year old is wanting to upgrade from an XBox One when you think back to what we were upgrading from and to as kids, for me i was begging my parents to upgrade me to a Sega Master System from my most hi-tech piece of kit... a big Castle Grayskull (dollhouse) and some He-man action figures (dolls!).

Makes you wonder what our grandchildren will be upgrading from and to.
Zooicidal07/11/2019 17:53

Just a random thought. It's crazy to think that a 5 year old is wanting to …Just a random thought. It's crazy to think that a 5 year old is wanting to upgrade from an XBox One when you think back to what we were upgrading from and to as kids, for me i was begging my parents to upgrade me to a Sega Master System from my most hi-tech piece of kit... a big Castle Grayskull (dollhouse) and some He-man action figures (dolls!).Makes you wonder what our grandchildren will be upgrading from and to.

I know its mental, all I wanted for xmas was men and lego, my daughter wants a mobile phone, shes 7 no way is she getting one, kids grow up too soon these days. Tbf he is advanced for a 5 year old but it's still mental. I think getting into computers safely at a young age is a good thing, they use them at school alot
Action men haha not men
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants