Refurbished laptop query

Found 16th Dec 2017
Hi, I’m thinking of purchasing one of these refurbished laptops but am unsure on which is the better option:

gigarefurb.co.uk/del…tml

gigarefurb.co.uk/hp-…tml

Any advice would be gratefully received

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
8 Comments

Not a lot in it. Do you want more memory or a bigger hard drive. The Dell is in better condition (allegedly), also has hdmi so i'd probably go for that.

Original Poster

Shengis20 m ago

Not a lot in it. Do you want more memory or a bigger hard drive. The Dell …Not a lot in it. Do you want more memory or a bigger hard drive. The Dell is in better condition (allegedly), also has hdmi so i'd probably go for that.

Thanks, I was thinking the dell but the hp has an i7 processor so didn’t know if this made a massive difference or not as I’m not the most clued up about computers

xobec17 m ago

Thanks, I was thinking the dell but the hp has an i7 processor so didn’t k …Thanks, I was thinking the dell but the hp has an i7 processor so didn’t know if this made a massive difference or not as I’m not the most clued up about computers

Both are dual core processors/dual threaded. I used to think all i7's were quad core, was well disgusted at intel when I learned the truth. The i5 works out slightly slower but really not by that much. Economy wise it makes more sense to buy a bigger HDD than expensive laptop memory. Only concern i'd have with that site is they seem to use stock photos, so not sure what the real condition of the machines actually are.

Original Poster

Shengis18 m ago

Both are dual core processors/dual threaded. I used to think all i7's were …Both are dual core processors/dual threaded. I used to think all i7's were quad core, was well disgusted at intel when I learned the truth. The i5 works out slightly slower but really not by that much. Economy wise it makes more sense to buy a bigger HDD than expensive laptop memory. Only concern i'd have with that site is they seem to use stock photos, so not sure what the real condition of the machines actually are.

I’ll have a think then. Thankyou for all your help

xobec1 h, 35 m ago

Thanks, I was thinking the dell but the hp has an i7 processor so didn’t k …Thanks, I was thinking the dell but the hp has an i7 processor so didn’t know if this made a massive difference or not as I’m not the most clued up about computers

They're at different power levels (The M suffix on the 3687 should be a U) so the branding isn't comparable. I'd expect the 3320M to be marginally faster than the 3687U, although it'd depend on their respective cooling systems.

On something that old though minor differences in processor aren't of much interest. The main decision for me would be respective screen quality and whether 4GB of memory or a 120GB SSD will become too small first. (And how comfortable you are respecting the SSD and reinstalling vs. just adding more memory).
Shengis1 h, 17 m ago

I used to think all i7's were quad core, was well disgusted at intel when …I used to think all i7's were quad core, was well disgusted at intel when I learned the truth.

Core i7s have been available in 2 and 4 variants right from the first generation, all released within a year of Intel first using the i7 branding on laptops. (6 core versions on desktop too).

EndlessWaves34 m ago

They're at different power levels (The M suffix on the 3687 should be a U) …They're at different power levels (The M suffix on the 3687 should be a U) so the branding isn't comparable. I'd expect the 3320M to be marginally faster than the 3687U, although it'd depend on their respective cooling systems. On something that old though minor differences in processor aren't of much interest. The main decision for me would be respective screen quality and whether 4GB of memory or a 120GB SSD will become too small first. (And how comfortable you are respecting the SSD and reinstalling vs. just adding more memory).Core i7s have been available in 2 and 4 variants right from the first generation, all released within a year of Intel first using the i7 branding on laptops. (6 core versions on desktop too).

Which makes the 'premium' image of 'i7' pretty much dog****. I bought an i7 laptop back in 2011, made damn sure it had a QM chip. I dare say I could chuck a faster chip in that machine now for a few quid lol.

Not really your answer but have a look at a place they always have great deals and have been trading for years. laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/…ops

Original Poster

nokiafusion22 h, 56 m ago

Not really your answer but have a look at a place they always have great …Not really your answer but have a look at a place they always have great deals and have been trading for years. https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/st/refurbished-laptops

Thanks - I’ll have a gander
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions