Expired

Refuse Delivery? Do I have to pay return postage?

Found 28th May 2013
Hello Forum- I am about to receive delivery of a push chair today... However in typical HUKD style I found it cheaper in town yesterday. I want to refuse delivery of the item today when it is delivered. Am I responsible for the return postage costs even though I have not accepted the item?

Thank you,

xmal
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
I think you can cancel under the DSR's,i'm sure someone with greater knowledge will be along soon

Is it from a company or a private seller on Ebay for example?
You bought it, so either you don't return it and don't get a refund or you pay to send it back and get a refund?
you have 7 days to return under the distance seller act, not sure if you have to pay returns if you refuse, but if your not in after you dont re-arange delivery it goes back to the seller but might have to wait for your money back
Thanks for the replies. The seller is a company and I know I can get a refund within 30 days according to DSR. My question is do I have to pay extra for the postage return if I refuse delivery? I know if I do accept it it then becomes responsibility for the postage to return it.
There must have been someone with a similar experience, hence the post...
I think you can email them and cancel under the DSR's and still refuse delivery without being charged but I'm not sure

I've bought plenty of things before and then found them cheaper but I've never gone to the hassle of doing what your doing,is it a lot of money we are talking,would the company price match for you at all?
deb8z

I think you can email them and cancel under the DSR's and still refuse … I think you can email them and cancel under the DSR's and still refuse delivery without being charged but I'm not sure :|I've bought plenty of things before and then found them cheaper but I've never gone to the hassle of doing what your doing,is it a lot of money we are talking,would the company price match for you at all?

It was over £200 cheaper. It was their last push chair of that model (the same as what we ordered) and John Lewis had reduced it to clear. I know that they will not price match as it is a non-stock item.
if you have saved 200 even if you have to pay the return you'll still be quids in
That amount of money,as above,you'd still be quids in

Either way I'd try emailing and cancelling under the DSR's you've got nothing to lose.
If you refuse delivery they will return to the sender, you might have to email them / ring to sort a refund out - it should probably happen automatically most places but mistakes happen.

AFAIK none of the major couriers charge for this - when we had a small courier contract, returns of none deliveries was sold to us as a free perk.
deb8z- yeah, we could hardly believe our eyes But I have to honour the HUKD's philosophy of bargains!!

I will refuse delivery this afternoon and then inform the company. I will post back to inform if we were charged or not to help others.
xmal

deb8z- yeah, we could hardly believe our eyes But I have to honour the … deb8z- yeah, we could hardly believe our eyes But I have to honour the HUKD's philosophy of bargains!!I will refuse delivery this afternoon and then inform the company. I will post back to inform if we were charged or not to help others.

Do not refuse if it is Yodel.

It will simply be added to the "Take what you want after your shift" pile.
xmal

deb8z- yeah, we could hardly believe our eyes But I have to honour the … deb8z- yeah, we could hardly believe our eyes But I have to honour the HUKD's philosophy of bargains!!I will refuse delivery this afternoon and then inform the company. I will post back to inform if we were charged or not to help others.

I think it's best if you email to cancel BEFORE it arrives,then i think you have a better chance of not being liable for breaching any contract that way.
simonturner69

Do not refuse if it is Yodel.It will simply be added to the "Take what … Do not refuse if it is Yodel.It will simply be added to the "Take what you want after your shift" pile.

I don't think that would matter under DSR's if you refuse delivery then if it gets lost on the way back I don't think the OP would be held accountable for anything,they should still receive a refund,well that's the way I read it but could be wrong of course.
simonturner69

Do not refuse if it is Yodel.It will simply be added to the "Take what … Do not refuse if it is Yodel.It will simply be added to the "Take what you want after your shift" pile.

If they want it then they'll take it before attempting delivery. I would assume that insurancewise it's still covered under the seller's initial delivery as it hasn't been delivered successfully. If you think about it, for example if a buyer moves address and the current resident refuses the item you would expect that the parcel is still covered right up until it has been returned to the seller.

I did the same thing with a focus parcel shelf and just told the Yodel driver that I wanted to refuse delivery.. there is never a charge to the buyer but the seller is defo out of pocket for the postage (which they would be anyway if you returned under DSR).
Edited by: "TheGimp" 28th May 2013
xmal

It was over £200 cheaper. It was their last push chair of that model (the … It was over £200 cheaper. It was their last push chair of that model (the same as what we ordered) and John Lewis had reduced it to clear. I know that they will not price match as it is a non-stock item.

so you saved £200 and expect a company to lose money on postage?

morally, you should just return it yourself.
csiman

so you saved £200 and expect a company to lose money on postage?morally, … so you saved £200 and expect a company to lose money on postage?morally, you should just return it yourself.

Morally? Using your legal right to send back an item without paying for postage isn't "immoral".

Though it depends what the terms and conditions of the site say. If they don't specify you are liable for return costs then the OP should get a full refund by refusing delivery. If it does specify then they'll get a full refund minus whatever Yodel charged them to take it back.
csiman

so you saved £200 and expect a company to lose money on postage?morally, … so you saved £200 and expect a company to lose money on postage?morally, you should just return it yourself.

Morally, I would also expect Amazon, Google, Starbucks to pay their fair share. I wanted advice on what to do, if I wanted moral advice I would have said so in my original post.
xmal

Morally, I would also expect Amazon, Google, Starbucks to pay their fair … Morally, I would also expect Amazon, Google, Starbucks to pay their fair share. I wanted advice on what to do, if I wanted moral advice I would have said so in my original post.

Before you start preaching about tax immorality, I think there are rather a lot of people poorer than you (not just in this country) who would also want you to be paying more tax to help them out more as well...
I don't think you'll have to pay for the postage. I bought a laptop from argos on ebay and didnt want it after as I found another so I emailed them and was told to refuse it. Got my refund and never heard anything about me having to pay postage to return it. However, all companies may be different.
Who is the retailer? If they have free returns I would say accept the item and then return it yourself. I refused delivery for something in the past and although I eventually got my refund it was a lot of hassle because the retailer did not receive the returned item (apparently).
As Promised, an update...... Refused delivery and got FULL refund.
if its a failed delivery they will then normally try again to re deliver. if it fails again or if u refuse delivery it will be returned to sender normally u will be charged just for the delivery charge and not for the return fee as this is normally covered in the couriers terms and conditions. if u know the courier co just check there website or call them and ask if this was to happen what would happen then.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants