Expired

refused to deposit cash over the counter at halifax in kingston

Found 23rd May 2014
Has anybody else experienced such nonsense? Instead insisting that I use the pay in post box!!
Community Updates
AskHalifaxKingston
23 Comments
It's just a tactic to free up their staff from the counter i'm afraid. More and more banks are trying to do this.

However on a plus side at least they didn't try and sell you a who raft of products you don't need or want while depositing your cash at the counter.
I always use the atm to put in cash and cheques now. Not sure why everyone not using this really as you get a receipt for cash and a photo of your cheque.
Original Poster
It's a pay in slip, so it's not a machine which is instant. You put your cash in an envelope. Write your bank details on it and post it through a letter box. You write your own receipt.
I don't see how this is secure. It also has terns on it saying that the bank is not liable.
I always pay in at the counter and if asked why I tell them I have OCD and need to see someone physically accept and count the cash again for me.
Its totally wrong for the Halifax to insist that customers use this method because, as you say, there's no security at all.
If the bank later claimed not to have recieved your cash, or that there was less in the envelope than you said, you have no proof that you ever deposited it, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.
smellyonion

It's a pay in slip, so it's not a machine which is instant. You put your … It's a pay in slip, so it's not a machine which is instant. You put your cash in an envelope. Write your bank details on it and post it through a letter box. You write your own receipt.I don't see how this is secure. It also has terns on it saying that the bank is not liable.

Delbert Grady

Its totally wrong for the Halifax to insist that customers use this … Its totally wrong for the Halifax to insist that customers use this method because, as you say, there's no security at all.If the bank later claimed not to have recieved your cash, or that there was less in the envelope than you said, you have no proof that you ever deposited it, you wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

Exactly why I never do this.

Natwest and HSBC have machines which count and take cash.
They want to sack all the staff and replace them with machines. Much cheaper.

I like humans well some of them.
You get a photocopy of the deposit slip as your receipt, so if anything you are at an advantage - if they say you didn't deposit the money you have the proof to say you did. So if you deposit a load of old newspaper... (it wasn't me guv')
Is part of it so they can detect the fake notes as the machine will automatically keep them?

The machines annoy me, anyway, sometimes I like to be badgered about a loan or other products just to make me feel special.
Santander are always happy to do everything face-to-face in branches. I've tried loads of branches throughout Tyne & Wear and the CSAs are always really friendly - big shout out to the woman with curly hair at North Shields, I don't know your name but you light up my day every time I pop in.
Original Poster
It's good see that others find such a system stupid. Got into an argument with the manager who said that it was super secure.
when they process and open the envelopes they are doing exactly as they would have done if they had put it through the till.

At the end of the day, why should I trust them? They don't trust us, as customers.

I ended up going to a different branh and they did it, no issues.

Edited by: "smellyonion" 23rd May 2014
Vote with your feet. I would have said "in that case please tell me how I close my account today".
That is the reason I left Halifax and refuse to go back to them, along with the poor customer experience their interest rates are quite poor also.

smellyonion

It's good see that others find such a system stupid. Got into an argument … It's good see that others find such a system stupid. Got into an argument with the manager who said that it was super secure. At the end if the day , when they process and open the envelopes they are doing exactly as they would have done if they had put it through the till.At the end of the day, why should I trust them? They don't trust us, as customers.I ended up going to a different branh and they did it, no issues.

Hope super secure wasn't his exact words haha

Always seen these machines when I go into the bank but never really been sure how to use them so always go to the tellers who are happy to help.
ZaphodBeeblebrox

Vote with your feet. I would have said "in that case please tell me how I … Vote with your feet. I would have said "in that case please tell me how I close my account today".

They would of accepted it if you said that.
MaJiiK

They would of accepted it if you said that.

May not work, I once had a balance of only £2,000 and asked if they could issue me with a cheque and keep the account open, the said they was going to charge me £20 - I proceed to inform them that I was closing my account and wish for the funds to be in the form of a cheque. That cost nothing, so I then had a cheque and they no longer had my custom. Their loss as I will not be going back.
Edited by: "joshp" 23rd May 2014
this is the reason I closed my account with them years ago, I had 3 bags of pound coins to pay in (in money bags £20 in each) I had a direct debit coming out the next day and the bank closed in 5 mins, they wouldn't let me pay in my cash, my direct debit bounced because of this as I couldn't even pay it in at the machine. the staff didn't care. im with Santander now and if there is a que at the machine or I have coins they are happy to take cash at the counter
I am suspicious of the envelope deposits. I don't mind the machine deposits though. However, have used the envelope deposit for cash a few times without any problem.

It does take a day before your money is credited to your account unlike counter credit or cash machine credit which credits your account immediately.

Had a massive row with HSBC when they refused to take 7k over the counter as I had no ID on me at the time. Suspected it was dodgy money. Got a written apology from them eventually.
I never go in branch, I use the cash machine or online banking.
airbus330

Had a massive row with HSBC when they refused to take 7k over the counter … Had a massive row with HSBC when they refused to take 7k over the counter as I had no ID on me at the time. Suspected it was dodgy money. Got a written apology from them eventually.

To be fair this is more for Money Laundering than trying to spot dodgy money, but they cant tell you that as it may be deemed to be tipping you off. Though like everything in this country we seem to take everything way too literally and go well over the top trying to enforce the rules.
markvirgo

I never go in branch, I use the cash machine or online banking.

If you bothered to read, this thread is about DEPOSITING cash oO
Thalagyrt

If you bothered to read, this thread is about DEPOSITING cash oO

Erm I did read the thread, I deposit cash in the cash machine then use online banking to make sure it's in my account. It's 2014 you can do that now

Edited by: "markvirgo" 24th May 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants