Regarding car

Posted 7th Nov
Hi can see people writing about limp mode I had this problem today drove to work fine but after work I had lim and a flashing 16 pop up and engine light but not flashing couldn't go faster than about 14mp so had to drive home with hazards but as soon as I put fuel in as stated I only had 40 miles in tank its been OK can anyone give me any idea if it was because I was low on fuel thx
Community Updates

Groups

29 Comments
Check you handbook it should tell you what the error code 16 means. Also let us know what make mdoel and year if you can't find anything so somebody can try offer assistance
Have you ever looked under the bonnet and checked oil and water levels etc?
I'm always filling water as needed and haven't checked oil recently but my car was serviced end of July thx
I'm always filling water as needed and haven't checked oil recently but my car was serviced end of July thx also regarding car it's a 15 plate vauxhall astra sri never had this before in the 3 years I've had the car thx
You'd be best off popping into a local garage you trust or a friend who has a code reader.
I bought my code reader from Amazon for maybes £9 and its came in handy so many times for people. The ones the garage use are a lot more expensive but can pin point the problem... The one I have works for basic stuff.

Limp mode could come on for a number of problems, dodgy coil pack, wire/earth, fuel, injectors, blocked pipe etc, dpf (if it's a diesel).
Edited by: "Toon_army" 7th Nov
Sounds like you may have set your speed limiter on by mistake. If you haven't got a speed limiter then ignore my suggestion.
Edited by: "richp" 7th Nov
Nothing to do with fuel, best take it a good independent garage and get it scanned
my golf had a build up of carbon and removing that sorted it
Edited by: "snoopy18" 7th Nov
richp07/11/2019 22:15

Sounds like you may have set your speed limiter on by mistake. If you …Sounds like you may have set your speed limiter on by mistake. If you haven't got a speed limiter then ignore my suggestion.

I worked for a Vauxhall dealership and you are indeed correct. "Lim" is for the limiter/cruise control. Whether or not that is the OP's problem or just a coincidence remains to be seen...
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 8th Nov
Hi I thought that as was trying to get screen display back and did turn on but then off on set speed setting but was then on off could have been that but ain't come on since just coming home so was driving about 15min in limp mode got fuel and has been fine have done a good hours driving in it since and no display or gone into limp mode since just dident want to think because its gone off there could be something wrong and I've somehow bypassed the problem especially when driving me kids about thanks
Louise200807/11/2019 21:46

I'm always filling water as needed and haven't checked oil recently but my …I'm always filling water as needed and haven't checked oil recently but my car was serviced end of July thx also regarding car it's a 15 plate vauxhall astra sri never had this before in the 3 years I've had the car thx

You (still) have a busted brake light bulb or circuit, and you had your speed limiter on.
Phsycronix07/11/2019 22:27

I worked for a Vauxhall dealership and you are indeed correct. "Lim" is …I worked for a Vauxhall dealership and you are indeed correct. "Lim" is for the limiter/cruise control. Whether or not that is the OP's problem or just a coincidence remains to be seen...P.S. - I've asked if this thread could be moved to "Ask" as it might get seen by more people to offer help. I only noticed it by accident really.

So could it be me messing around with setting my screen back as I only got my car back yesterday due to someone hitting me and rang the garage but they said they did check car before returning and drove it to me and was fine it did just come up lim in little orange bracket with 16mp next to it thx
No had no break the damage was on plastic after they checked car they set my screen different and I was messing getting it back to the display I usually have my menu control is on indicate was pressing it and did come up speed control when I turned on I pressed something else and went up from 45 to 53 then I turned off as dident know what it was
AndyRoyd07/11/2019 23:10

You (still) have a busted brake light bulb or circuit, and you had your …You (still) have a busted brake light bulb or circuit, and you had your speed limiter on.

What do you mean still have a busted brake light bulb or circuit sorry I ain't a clue with cars lol
Louise200807/11/2019 23:29

What do you mean still have a busted brake light bulb or circuit sorry I …What do you mean still have a busted brake light bulb or circuit sorry I ain't a clue with cars lol

Assuming error display = "CodE 16": you are being informed that your brake light circuit requires attention.
Can't immediately find the full code list specifically for your Astra but the generic 3rd-party list referenced below is reasonably comprehensive and includes a typical image of what I'm rambling about (athough the image in this instance is "CodE 84"): puretyre.co.uk/vau…ay/
As above error code 16 shows as a broken brake light bulb or damaged brake circuit (wiring/fuses/pedal switch), check your brake lights. If you haven’t got someone who can check them while you turn the car on and press the brake, reverse up against a wall and press the brake and check all 3 lights are working. Then you’ll know which one is out left,right or middle.

Then if you aren’t up to changing the bulb yourself go to halfrauds and pay for them to install it, brake bulbs are usually only a few pounds but you’ll probably get charged £10 to install it on top, so it pays to learn how to do this stuff yourself as it’s often ridiculously easy.

I remember needing a bulb in an emergency and popped into Halfords and being in queue behind a lady, the chap went off to get her a bulb for her car and he came back with two options, one a standard bulb and another was a long life high brightness bulb which he suggested was the better option at only £0.50 more, she moaned about the extra £0.50 but thought nothing of the £10 ish install cost......bizarre

Being a lady doesn’t mean you can’t do stuff with cars and learn it. I know plenty that would change wheels, bulbs, brake pads and more difficult stuff than I would do even without any problems, it’s a really useful skill in life. You tube is great for instructional videos, that’s how I learnt most of what I do on cars.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 8th Nov
Cars are very much like people. When a man goes into limp mode he takes a blue pill for the problem. There is something called Adblu for cars which might do the trick.

Trust me I'm a car expert, I drive a 12 year old Alfa.
666FU08/11/2019 03:03

I drive a 12 year old Alfa.

I'm so sorry to hear that
OP apears to be missing some of these ,,,,,, & some of these .......
If all else fails as we say in the trade RTFM!
AndyRoyd07/11/2019 23:59

Assuming error display = "CodE 16": you are being informed that your brake …Assuming error display = "CodE 16": you are being informed that your brake light circuit requires attention.Can't immediately find the full code list specifically for your Astra but the generic 3rd-party list referenced below is reasonably comprehensive and includes a typical image of what I'm rambling about (athough the image in this instance is "CodE 84"): https://www.puretyre.co.uk/vauxhall-vehicle-messages-on-the-uplevel-display-or-uplevelcombi-display/

Have checked all lights snd they are working if it was the lights would it come up code 16 as mine was lim in brackets then 16mph had no problem on school run this morning thx
Louise200808/11/2019 08:54

Have checked all lights snd they are working if it was the lights would it …Have checked all lights snd they are working if it was the lights would it come up code 16 as mine was lim in brackets then 16mph had no problem on school run this morning thx

I also have Astra SRi and the central driver dash display reading lim(16) above the selected screen (mph/mpg/dust etc) is the speed limiter being on. There should also have been a little Speedo shaped light in the left hand cluster panel?

My control is on the steering wheel, it's the switch under the cruise control.

Sounds more than likely this has been switched on at the garage and not noticed during their 'road test' or you've caught it getting in or out of the vehicle/changing settings.

Read your handbook to see if the images depicting the 'speed limiter' settings match what you saw.

Until you do I'd avoid driving it with the kids onboard. Last thing you need is to be doing the school run and your car drops from 30mph to 16mph with no warning to you or other road users.
As has been stated the LIM means speed limit is on not "limp mode"
As you stopped for fuel you will have turned ignition off, the speed limit setting is not reinstated on ignition so car will return to normal.
normally "limp mode" or safety mode simply does things like disabling turbos and will not restrict your car to 16mph, this would not be safe at all, not would it come on for a bulb failure.
38932708-KUHKB.jpgIs this what you saw??
maddogb08/11/2019 11:16

As has been stated the LIM means speed limit is on not "limp mode" As you …As has been stated the LIM means speed limit is on not "limp mode" As you stopped for fuel you will have turned ignition off, the speed limit setting is not reinstated on ignition so car will return to normal.normally "limp mode" or safety mode simply does things like disabling turbos and will not restrict your car to 16mph, this would not be safe at all, not would it come on for a bulb failure.

My limp home mode came on on my golf and 20mph maximum speed, very dangerous when I was on motorway at the time
I believe @maddogb is on the right track, @Louise2008

I don't think you were in any "Limp home" mode at all. Your limiter had been set (accidentally) and; as you said; you were driving at 'approx' 14 mph. Probably 16 - which your limiter was set to. Upon turning the engine off - limiter resets. I don't believe it was an error "code" at all.

As previously said though, drive normally but just keep an eye for any unusual notifications on the display - just in case. Not to be judgemental but as others have said, maybe swot up on your cruise control/limiter so as not to be caught unawares in future. The cruise control can be quite useful - especially in built-up areas where you can set it to the speed limit so as not to go over. It turns off automatically as soon as you touch the brake so not dangerous as long as you are aware.

I've spoken to people who have had it in their cars and never ever used it, or in some cases didn't even know what it was for. It's good to know what all the functions are in your car however. Especially in a case such as yours!

All the best Louise2008 - and, drive safe!
snoopy1808/11/2019 11:41

My limp home mode came on on my golf and 20mph maximum speed, very …My limp home mode came on on my golf and 20mph maximum speed, very dangerous when I was on motorway at the time

wow, that is seriously stupid isn't it.. had a car going into safety mode on me but could easily achieve 30mph, 20 is dangerous almost everywhere even A roads
maddogb08/11/2019 12:13

wow, that is seriously stupid isn't it.. had a car going into safety mode …wow, that is seriously stupid isn't it.. had a car going into safety mode on me but could easily achieve 30mph, 20 is dangerous almost everywhere even A roads

I was in the fast lane at the time, I’d rather risk the engine blowing then that happen
Happened another time and I thought if I was overtaking something I could be stuffed
Mine was from carbon build up at the time
Phsycronix08/11/2019 12:08

I believe @maddogb is on the right track, @Louise2008 I don't think you …I believe @maddogb is on the right track, @Louise2008 I don't think you were in any "Limp home" mode at all. Your limiter had been set (accidentally) and; as you said; you were driving at 'approx' 14 mph. Probably 16 - which your limiter was set to. Upon turning the engine off - limiter resets. I don't believe it was an error "code" at all.As previously said though, drive normally but just keep an eye for any unusual notifications on the display - just in case. Not to be judgemental but as others have said, maybe swot up on your cruise control/limiter so as not to be caught unawares in future. The cruise control can be quite useful - especially in built-up areas where you can set it to the speed limit so as not to go over. It turns off automatically as soon as you touch the brake so not dangerous as long as you are aware.I've spoken to people who have had it in their cars and never ever used it, or in some cases didn't even know what it was for. It's good to know what all the functions are in your car however. Especially in a case such as yours!All the best Louise2008 - and, drive safe!

Yer thanks because the speed control did appear when setting screen I believe after speaking to people it was the speed limiter and I've managed to turn it of but thankyou for your help appreciate it
360finder08/11/2019 11:31

[Image] Is this what you saw??

Hi yes exactly what it was and I believe I somehow turned it on and adjusted a setting but then went into it and turned it off no problems since
Louise200808/11/2019 23:16

Hi yes exactly what it was and I believe I somehow turned it on and …Hi yes exactly what it was and I believe I somehow turned it on and adjusted a setting but then went into it and turned it off no problems since

Glad it's all resolved and not something that could reoccur without you knowing how to solve it putting you and your loved ones at risk.

Drive safely
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants