Reintroduction of non-UK Amazon Marketplace Sellers (Fulfilled By Amazon) to hotukdeals

Posted 30th Sep
Many of you will be aware that we made the decision in March 2018 to place restrictions on non-UK Amazon marketplace sellers due to a massive amount of incentivisation we discovered for products to be posted on hotukdeals.

Now that we have put our new publication rules in place, and improved our processes allowing us to spot these incentivised listings more easily, we’re now ready to allow these to be shared again on site - with a few simple limits.

We wanted to make this change because, by requiring sellers to be pre-approved, this caused us to reject or remove some hot deals - so we hope the result of this is going to be even more great prices and offers to vote on and take advantage of.

What will we allow?

We will allow non-UK Marketplace listings where the seller has been active for at least the most recent 12 months, and has 300+ items of feedback in that time, with a rating of 95% or over. All listings need to use Fulfilled By Amazon to deliver.

What will we remove?

Sellers that don’t meet meeting our minimum listing criteria but also suspended/banned/blacklisted merchants. Our publication rules also apply as normal, which will cover other potential concerns (such as counterfeit products).

We’ll not be publishing a list of blacklisted merchants but we’ll communicate as soon as we can if a deal you’ve posted was removed because it linked to one of these sellers.

What if we find incentivised posts?

We will have a zero tolerance policy to this; this applies to both the seller that asks for the deal to be posted AND the member posting it.

As mentioned above, we have strengthened our processes allowing us to know whether something being shared is incentivised. So any account or seller who does this is likely to lose the ability to post on hotukdeals in future.

Please post any questions you have and we'll be happy to answer them.
Community Updates
Official Announcements
23 Comments
Never should have been taken away anyway
Good news
I wondered why my headphone deal was allowed this morning, duly noted
What will we allow?

We will allow non-UK Marketplace listings where the seller has been active for at least the most recent 12 months, and has 300+ items of feedback in that time, with a rating of 95% or over. All listings need to use Fulfilled By Amazon to deliver.

In my opinion this is still far too restrictive. In my experience very few people leave feedback when buying on Amazon. I've sold hundreds of items since 2003, 100% feedback but only 22 in total. There must be hundreds of sellers in the same position who continue to be excluded from having good deals posted.
jaketheplumber30/09/2019 13:23

What will we allow?We will allow non-UK Marketplace listings where the …What will we allow?We will allow non-UK Marketplace listings where the seller has been active for at least the most recent 12 months, and has 300+ items of feedback in that time, with a rating of 95% or over. All listings need to use Fulfilled By Amazon to deliver. In my opinion this is still far too restrictive. In my experience very few people leave feedback when buying on Amazon. I've sold hundreds of items since 2003, 100% feedback but only 22 in total. There must be hundreds of sellers in the same position who continue to be excluded from having good deals posted.

We used to insist on 1500 and then 1200. So things do change but that seems to be the right figure just now.
jaketheplumber30/09/2019 13:23

What will we allow?We will allow non-UK Marketplace listings where the …What will we allow?We will allow non-UK Marketplace listings where the seller has been active for at least the most recent 12 months, and has 300+ items of feedback in that time, with a rating of 95% or over. All listings need to use Fulfilled By Amazon to deliver. In my opinion this is still far too restrictive. In my experience very few people leave feedback when buying on Amazon. I've sold hundreds of items since 2003, 100% feedback but only 22 in total. There must be hundreds of sellers in the same position who continue to be excluded from having good deals posted.

well going by that the ones that are allowed probably have thousands of sales if a similar rate
are you non uk based anyway?
So still posts which are third party, not based in UK and using discount codes not listed on the product will still be removed?
Can you define "incentivised" please?

Presumably you're referring to cash/gift rewards, as opposed to free advertising?
cecilmcroberts30/09/2019 13:45

So still posts which are third party, not based in UK and using discount …So still posts which are third party, not based in UK and using discount codes not listed on the product will still be removed?

The issue is being able to confirm the source of the code. That deal you flagged we know the source of the code because it was provided to us for posting. So we know where it has come from so there is no issue.

If a code is on a member post but not on the listing, if they can provide us with proof (link etc) of where they found the code we'll consider allowing it. As long as we can be sure it was not incentivised then it is fine.
CNCboss30/09/2019 13:48

Can you define "incentivised" please?Presumably you're referring to …Can you define "incentivised" please?Presumably you're referring to cash/gift rewards, as opposed to free advertising?

Offering of a free product or ££ for members to post the deal up on hotukdeals.
magicjay198630/09/2019 15:20

Offering of a free product or ££ for members to post the deal up on h …Offering of a free product or ££ for members to post the deal up on hotukdeals.

OK, that's fine.

The reason I ask is because I've seen a number of posts/comments from members suggesting that some deals are there because HUKD somehow benefits from them.

Now I'm smart enough to realise HUKD requires funding, but if it's getting kick backs from some deals, if that is the case (apologies if its not) should these not be highlighted in some way?
brilly30/09/2019 13:40

well going by that the ones that are allowed probably have thousands of …well going by that the ones that are allowed probably have thousands of sales if a similar rateare you non uk based anyway?

No I'm based in UK, selling on Amazon since 2003 and didn't get my first feedback until 2010.
CNCboss30/09/2019 16:25

OK, that's fine.The reason I ask is because I've seen a number of …OK, that's fine.The reason I ask is because I've seen a number of posts/comments from members suggesting that some deals are there because HUKD somehow benefits from them.Now I'm smart enough to realise HUKD requires funding, but if it's getting kick backs from some deals, if that is the case (apologies if its not) should these not be highlighted in some way?

We are funded by the use of affiliate links on deals. Not all deals are monetised but those that are, we receive a commission when users of our site click out and make a purchase. Details of how we're funded is contained in our FAQs and also our About page.

So even though we do already tell members how we're funded, we know we should be doing more. We're working on some transparency topics so you can find this information more easily. Keep an eye out for that and when we're ready to release these changes i'll set up a discussion topic.
magicjay198630/09/2019 17:21

We are funded by the use of affiliate links on deals. Not all deals are …We are funded by the use of affiliate links on deals. Not all deals are monetised but those that are, we receive a commission when users of our site click out and make a purchase. Details of how we're funded is contained in our FAQs and also our About page. So even though we do already tell members how we're funded, we know we should be doing more. We're working on some transparency topics so you can find this information more easily. Keep an eye out for that and when we're ready to release these changes i'll set up a discussion topic.

Since you mention transparency.
How about putting Paid Poster" instead of "beta program" or whatever the current metaphor is for those people?
Edited by: "Make.Amazon.Great.Again" 30th Sep
magicjay198630/09/2019 15:18

The issue is being able to confirm the source of the code. That deal you …The issue is being able to confirm the source of the code. That deal you flagged we know the source of the code because it was provided to us for posting. So we know where it has come from so there is no issue. If a code is on a member post but not on the listing, if they can provide us with proof (link etc) of where they found the code we'll consider allowing it. As long as we can be sure it was not incentivised then it is fine.

Personally still think they ruin the site, creating distrust without big warnings about how the deal was "found". Deal also predated the new rules.

Seller sends email> Discount code for product > advertise it for me please. I know if it paid off because of personal given discount code= Advertising/Promotion.
Don't get me wrong it works in the sense if it was worded "we secured this discount code for our members, exclusive to HUKD"

Never goina stop this though. (will PM you the link)

38579187-gkfDK.jpg

Don't mean to sound negative, I love and adore the site, but over the past while it has created alot of distrust in the deals posted by editors with what seems to be inconstancy in the applications of rules. Do like the recent waves of transparency of openness in the discussion of anything new, certainly don't envy your job lol.
i hope not see to them again
geat new
magicjay198630/09/2019 15:20

Offering of a free product or ££ for members to post the deal up on h …Offering of a free product or ££ for members to post the deal up on hotukdeals.

How would you find??? There are loads of non - UK sellers waiting for their product to be posted here. They offer commission to person posting too.
cecilmcroberts30/09/2019 18:02

Personally still think they ruin the site, creating distrust without big …Personally still think they ruin the site, creating distrust without big warnings about how the deal was "found". Deal also predated the new rules. Seller sends email> Discount code for product > advertise it for me please. I know if it paid off because of personal given discount code= Advertising/Promotion. Don't get me wrong it works in the sense if it was worded "we secured this discount code for our members, exclusive to HUKD" Never goina stop this though. (will PM you the link)[Image] Don't mean to sound negative, I love and adore the site, but over the past while it has created alot of distrust in the deals posted by editors with what seems to be inconstancy in the applications of rules. Do like the recent waves of transparency of openness in the discussion of anything new, certainly don't envy your job lol.

HUKD are not making much profit i guess so you can see how the terns are getting changed recently. They now are working with third party sellers in Amazon who offer them commission for allowing their items to be posted. Before it was only items sold and dispatched by Amazon. As you have shown an example there are loads of sellers who contact for their product to be posted here.
vassy2i01/10/2019 16:39

How would you find??? There are loads of non - UK sellers waiting for …How would you find??? There are loads of non - UK sellers waiting for their product to be posted here. They offer commission to person posting too.

We know there are and its something we can spot. Not just in the UK, we have eyes across all the Pepper sites and countries.
cecilmcroberts30/09/2019 18:02

Personally still think they ruin the site, creating distrust without big …Personally still think they ruin the site, creating distrust without big warnings about how the deal was "found". Deal also predated the new rules. Seller sends email> Discount code for product > advertise it for me please. I know if it paid off because of personal given discount code= Advertising/Promotion. Don't get me wrong it works in the sense if it was worded "we secured this discount code for our members, exclusive to HUKD" Never goina stop this though. (will PM you the link)[Image] Don't mean to sound negative, I love and adore the site, but over the past while it has created alot of distrust in the deals posted by editors with what seems to be inconstancy in the applications of rules. Do like the recent waves of transparency of openness in the discussion of anything new, certainly don't envy your job lol.

Sorry, missed this ^

I agree that by not being transparent on certain topics members will raise things, find out an answer and just assume it was information we kept from them. We never intended it to appear such a mystery about how we work. As I say though, we understand this completely and it is a topic ongoing and we are making gradual improvements with much more planning behind the scenes. So hopefully you'll see this and continue providing your feedback.

Glad you see improvements in the current openness of discussion. We knew we had to make improvements here so i'm pleased to read that.
Edited by: "magicjay1986" 2nd Oct
magicjay198602/10/2019 16:13

We know there are and its something we can spot. Not just in the UK, we …We know there are and its something we can spot. Not just in the UK, we have eyes across all the Pepper sites and countries.

Obviously you are not going to share how, but there are 1000s of sellers willing to post wherever they can, many have regular posters who they contact privately so I don't see how you are going to police this. Only way I can imagine this working is if you are not going to focus on self promotion, just allowing all good deals (even if it is a paid poster) and just removing the bad ones.
jamie1503/10/2019 13:10

Obviously you are not going to share how, but there are 1000s of sellers …Obviously you are not going to share how, but there are 1000s of sellers willing to post wherever they can, many have regular posters who they contact privately so I don't see how you are going to police this. Only way I can imagine this working is if you are not going to focus on self promotion, just allowing all good deals (even if it is a paid poster) and just removing the bad ones.

Prior to the ban in March 2018 we had our ways of spotting which sellers were doing it and also the members. So it is a continuation of that but also some other tools we have at our disposal off site.

If members think something looks suspicious they can let us know and we'll check it out.
vassy2i01/10/2019 16:42

HUKD are not making much profit i guess so you can see how the terns are …HUKD are not making much profit i guess so you can see how the terns are getting changed recently. They now are working with third party sellers in Amazon who offer them commission for allowing their items to be posted. Before it was only items sold and dispatched by Amazon. As you have shown an example there are loads of sellers who contact for their product to be posted here.

Those and any other partner deal should have the word advert on them, it’s becoming a joke on here that you cannot trust staff members posts any more. Many get heat just because of who posted.

The site wants us to believe that there is independence in the deals been posted but sadly we don’t know what is being paid for which ultimately harms the site. Perfect example was Homebase and Carparts4less being reinstated and posted by the A Team posters, not even allowing members to post the deals first, just doesn’t sit right.

given up looking at most site posted deals and majority of PEP because of this.
Edited by: "eslick" 8th Oct
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants