REMINDER: Old £10 note ceases to be legal tender from 1 March 2018

Found 17th FebEdited by:"HappyShopper"
Check your wallet, purse, drawers, sofa, car etc

You have until 1 March 2018 to get rid of old tenners, the ones with an image of Charles Darwin on the reverse. before they are no longer legal tender.

After 1 March 2018, you should still be able to exchange these notes at post offices or local banks, although they are not under a legal obligation to do so.

You always have the option of posting old notes to the Bank of England or visiting it in person at Threadneedle Street in the City of London, and it will exchange your old notes for new ones. The Bank has an open-ended promise to exchange old notes at face value at any time.

(In Scotland, it’s not just the old paper £10 note that ceases to be legal tender on 1 March 2018, but also the paper £5 note. In England, the paper £5 note stopped being accepted in shops in May 2017).

Source: theguardian.com/mon…der
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
A relatives dad regularly has over 10k in notes scattered round his house, the guys 70+ and don't trust banks.

As soon as his pensions, etc get paid in he drawers it all out keeps it at home.

So it's not just gonna be "drug dealers" suffering these problems
19 Comments
Regardless of what other banks do, Barclays will continue to exchange old banknotes indefinitely.
Thanks for the heads-up.
thanks mATE
Haven’t seen an old £10 note in ages, but then again I haven’t seen any cash in ages thanks for the heads up though!
Imagine all the drug dealers who have thousands saved up in cash with no job. It’s all gonna have to go through the bank. Can’t just change it over for new notes. It’s got to have a paper trail
jayonline851 h, 47 m ago

Imagine all the drug dealers who have thousands saved up in cash with no …Imagine all the drug dealers who have thousands saved up in cash with no job. It’s all gonna have to go through the bank. Can’t just change it over for new notes. It’s got to have a paper trail

Back to reality now son.

3. 2 . 1. Back in the room.
you think it’s not reality that people have undeclared money saved in notes ? let’s just say someone I don’t know has 30k in cash that doesn’t want it putting through the bank. It’s gonna be a struggle when that person has to swap the money over.
A relatives dad regularly has over 10k in notes scattered round his house, the guys 70+ and don't trust banks.

As soon as his pensions, etc get paid in he drawers it all out keeps it at home.

So it's not just gonna be "drug dealers" suffering these problems
Dissatisfied_dad14 m ago

A relatives dad regularly has over 10k in notes scattered round his house, …A relatives dad regularly has over 10k in notes scattered round his house, the guys 70+ and don't trust banks.As soon as his pensions, etc get paid in he drawers it all out keeps it at home.So it's not just gonna be "drug dealers" suffering these problems

Why so dissatisfied with fatherhood?
Dissatisfied_dad14 m ago

A relatives dad regularly has over 10k in notes scattered round his house, …A relatives dad regularly has over 10k in notes scattered round his house, the guys 70+ and don't trust banks.As soon as his pensions, etc get paid in he drawers it all out keeps it at home.So it's not just gonna be "drug dealers" suffering these problems

It makes people feel edgy saying it though, doesn't it?
Dissatisfied_dad36 m ago

I didn’t say just drug dealers, I said imagine the drug dealers. People like your relatives dad can say where this money come from. A drug dealer can’t say where he got 50k from. Don’t forget tax dodgers who declare low income from self employment and people who say they have no savings to benefit claims and tax credit claims. So many people save cash in notes for different reasons. But it will be a struggle for people who now want to change their money, especially if they are worried about putting money through a bank and they don’t want anyone from the government knowing they have this money.
had no idea about this , thanks for the heads up better go check down the sofa in case ive lost one over the years
Heads up in the North - this time Scotland is the same. This is new for us, our £5 notes didn't expire along with England's, although our pound coins did.
glasgowlive.co.uk/new…933
jayonline857 h, 43 m ago

I didn’t say just drug dealers, I said imagine the drug dealers. People l …I didn’t say just drug dealers, I said imagine the drug dealers. People like your relatives dad can say where this money come from. A drug dealer can’t say where he got 50k from. Don’t forget tax dodgers who declare low income from self employment and people who say they have no savings to benefit claims and tax credit claims. So many people save cash in notes for different reasons. But it will be a struggle for people who now want to change their money, especially if they are worried about putting money through a bank and they don’t want anyone from the government knowing they have this money.

Surely they wouldn't have left it this late?
Some people still don’t even know the notes won’t be legal tender soon. If someone asks you to change £10,000 of old £10 notes for them and they’ve got no job, you know something dodgey going on, it also becomes money laundering if you can’t prove where it come from.
Any high Street bank will change any note for you. Even shilling notes from the olden days
jayonline8521 h, 56 m ago

you think it’s not reality that people have undeclared money saved in n …you think it’s not reality that people have undeclared money saved in notes ? let’s just say someone I don’t know has 30k in cash that doesn’t want it putting through the bank. It’s gonna be a struggle when that person has to swap the money over.

I’m guessing he’s going to be regaling his bank manager with tales of his several “massive wins in the high street bookies” soon
jayonline8517th Feb

I didn’t say just drug dealers, I said imagine the drug dealers. People l …I didn’t say just drug dealers, I said imagine the drug dealers. People like your relatives dad can say where this money come from. A drug dealer can’t say where he got 50k from. Don’t forget tax dodgers who declare low income from self employment and people who say they have no savings to benefit claims and tax credit claims. So many people save cash in notes for different reasons. But it will be a struggle for people who now want to change their money, especially if they are worried about putting money through a bank and they don’t want anyone from the government knowing they have this money.

No, he cant say because at his age he forgets a lot.

We were decorating not long back for him and found about £300 in paper fivers in the back of his electric cupboard, which are now useless.

We ended up ransacking his home whilst he was at hospital, and came up with almost 15,000, then when we tried to put it all in his bank, the police were called because of all the money laundering laws now.

We ended up having to get a social worker involved to confirm that the money wasn't through nefarious means.

It's bleeding pathetic the way this country has gone tbh.
What's pathetic about the authorities checking there was no money laundering / tax evasion?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions