Remote control for combination boiler

Found 19th Jul
I had a remote control fitted to a combination boiler by British Gas, which I think is HIVE. I have heard of NEST.

Anyone can recommend what is the best system to remote control a combination boiler through the net? I want to be able to control the boiler timer, including switching the boiler on and off, remotely through the internet.

We are installing a new combination boiler, so I want to add this at the same time, and would guess it would be cheaper to do so at the installation stage rather than later.
Community Updates
14 Comments
Nest or Hive are the 2 main ones.
If you already have Hive fitted then you might as well use that.
Smart controls are part of the new (April 18) Boiler Plus building regs, has your heating engineer not mentioned this?

Another question, is your new boiler 'Opentherm' compatible? if so get an Opentherm controller rather than a 'dumb' on/off switch that the Hive is.
paulj4814 m ago

Smart controls are part of the new (April 18) Boiler Plus building regs, …Smart controls are part of the new (April 18) Boiler Plus building regs, has your heating engineer not mentioned this?Another question, is your new boiler 'Opentherm' compatible? if so get an Opentherm controller rather than a 'dumb' on/off switch that the Hive is.

i am getting quotes at the moment and the boiler i am looking at is worcester bosch 35i combination boiler. he has not mentioned smart controls. are they compulsory now with new boiler installations?
stefromuk1 h, 30 m ago

Nest or Hive are the 2 main ones.If you already have Hive fitted then you …Nest or Hive are the 2 main ones.If you already have Hive fitted then you might as well use that.

the hive is at a different property. this one currently does not have a combination boiler, so we are looking to put one in with remote control facility.
mutley118 m ago

i am getting quotes at the moment and the boiler i am looking at is …i am getting quotes at the moment and the boiler i am looking at is worcester bosch 35i combination boiler. he has not mentioned smart controls. are they compulsory now with new boiler installations?

To comply with the new regs you have to choose one of the following: weather compensation, load compensation, flue gas heat recovery or smart controls
Hive and Nest, and others, do what you want, if you already have Hive why would you look to change in the other property?

If you're happy with Hive, stick with that, if theres a Hive feature your unhappy with then share it and folks could advise accordingly...
MT20453 h, 57 m ago

Have a look at this video

that is so funny. i love the bit where he is lonely and he gets excited when he gets a text from the boiler. lol.
andynicol2 h, 11 m ago

Hive and Nest, and others, do what you want, if you already have Hive why …Hive and Nest, and others, do what you want, if you already have Hive why would you look to change in the other property?If you're happy with Hive, stick with that, if theres a Hive feature your unhappy with then share it and folks could advise accordingly...

I wouldn’t recommend Hive for a new bolier, it’s a dumb on/off switch only.

If the OP is looking at a WB boiler then I’d recommend their own Wave controller, it has weather and load compensation and is internet connected.
paulj4811 h, 18 m ago

I wouldn’t recommend Hive for a new bolier, it’s a dumb on/off switch onl …I wouldn’t recommend Hive for a new bolier, it’s a dumb on/off switch only.If the OP is looking at a WB boiler then I’d recommend their own Wave controller, it has weather and load compensation and is internet connected.

Hive will still do exactly what the OP is looking for though.
andynicol16 m ago

Hive will still do exactly what the OP is looking for though.

So you would still recommend a Hive which is basically just an on off switch even though the OP is getting a brand new Combi fitted? When for similar money he can get a product that also gives weather compensation and load compensation thus saving money on heating bills, would love to know your reasoning?
Edited by: "paulj48" 20th Jul
paulj4833 m ago

So you would still recommend a Hive which is basically just an on off …So you would still recommend a Hive which is basically just an on off switch even though the OP is getting a brand new Combi fitted? When for similar money he can get a product that also gives weather compensation and load compensation thus saving money on heating bills, would love to know your reasoning?

The OP has experience with Hive, it meets there requirements, so yes I’d suggest the OP sticks with what they know, UNLESS as I stated, they have an issue with Hive, share it and they can be advised accordingly.
andynicol36 m ago

The OP has experience with Hive, it meets there requirements, so yes I’d s …The OP has experience with Hive, it meets there requirements, so yes I’d suggest the OP sticks with what they know, UNLESS as I stated, they have an issue with Hive, share it and they can be advised accordingly.

So you're saying 'experience' with a product is better than 10 years plus of savings buy using a device with weather and load compensation? I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get to grips with a different product.

The Hive is just a switch, all it does on a Combi boiler is switch the heating on or off, that's it, no other control.

New boilers can have their CH water circuit temperature adjusted remotely up and down dependant on outside temperature and load demand, this keeps the set point temperature more even but more importantly saves money by keeping an even temperature and keeping the boiler in condensation mode longer. This is achieved with the Opentherm system or in the case of WB boilers their own propriety system.

I'd advise the OP to speak to his installer before he makes his mind up.
Edited by: "paulj48" 20th Jul
paulj4845 m ago

So you're saying 'experience' with a product is better than 10 years plus …So you're saying 'experience' with a product is better than 10 years plus of savings buy using a device with weather and load compensation? I'm sure it wouldn't take long to get to grips with a different product.The Hive is just a switch, all it does on a Combi boiler is switch the heating on or off, that's it, no other control.New boilers can have their CH water circuit temperature adjusted remotely up and down dependant on outside temperature and load demand, this keeps the set point temperature more even but more importantly saves money by keeping an even temperature and keeping the boiler in condensation mode longer. This is achieved with the Opentherm system or in the case of WB boilers their own propriety system.I'd advise the OP to speak to his installer before he makes his mind up.

You don’t have to explain the merits of different smart controllers to me.

I’m sensing your not familiar with some of the OPs previous predicaments?

Going by previous I’m suggesting the OP sticks with what they know, unless, I say again, they have a particular issue with Hive then air it here and folks can advise accordingly.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants