Remote Desktop on Sky hub

Found 16th Oct 2015
Hi,

Moved from virgin to sky and trying to set up remote desktop to my microserver (had it working fine on the virgin superhub)

I've set up as per this video :
youtube.com/wat…s3I

But still cant connect, not sure what i am doing wrong

Any suggestions?

thanks

19 Comments

Defo try some of the sky forums and digital spy forums as they have a lot of readers focused on issues with internet/tv/entertainment problems!

It may be slightly different with servers, so I may be talking rubbish, but could you not just use a program to allow you the same access? I've always used TeamViewer, and it's dead easy. Install it on the machine you want to connect to, set up unattended access with whatever password you choose, then install on your machine, enter the User ID from the other system (stored for later connections), connect, then enter the password. Also, I may be teaching you to suck eggs, but if the server is ever rebooted or whatever, you will likely end up with a different IP address, so you will have to go through the stuff you did again.

does the server have a static or dynamic ip? which port numbers you trying to forward?

Original Poster

thanks both of you

I think i will be trying another program, just annoying that it worked fine on the superhub
Needs to be android compatible though, as I usually access it through my phone.
I've just noticed chrome has a remote access add on so i'll try that.

And yes, my server has a reserved IP address on the router so always the same

Thanks again

Original Poster

tom9991

does the server have a static or dynamic ip? which port numbers you … does the server have a static or dynamic ip? which port numbers you trying to forward?

the server always has the same IP address, is that what you mean?

3389 - that is what i had set up on the superhub anyway

cheers

Another vote for teamviewer here.

andymagic

I also use teamviewer, another benefit is that I can easily copy files to and fro if I needed, and its on my phone.

Original Poster

andymagic

andymagic

thanks is it totally free for private use?

and do you need to mess around with any port forwarding /router firewall stuff?

Thanks again

Taken from the teamviewer site "TeamViewer is free for all non-commercial users!"

I've never had to do any port forwarding, just install and setup the computers you wish to access and off you go, it's also cross platform so you can control machines from tablets and phones.

phil001

thanks is it totally free for private use?and do you need to mess around … thanks is it totally free for private use?and do you need to mess around with any port forwarding /router firewall stuff?Thanks again

As per what andymagic said, yes free for non-commercial use, and no port forwarding or worrying if your public ip address changes.

What are you using your server for? is it media?

andymagic

Taken from the teamviewer site "TeamViewer is free for all non-commercial … Taken from the teamviewer site "TeamViewer is free for all non-commercial users!"I've never had to do any port forwarding, just install and setup the computers you wish to access and off you go, it's also cross platform so you can control machines from tablets and phones.

Yup, it's completely free, with no faff.:D

Original Poster

bluetba

As per what andymagic said, yes free for non-commercial use, and no port … As per what andymagic said, yes free for non-commercial use, and no port forwarding or worrying if your public ip address changes.What are you using your server for? is it media?

Yes

Original Poster

Thanks, teamviewee seems to work well.

Trying to access CouchPotato when connected to the same network as the server it is installed on, that won't work either. Port 5050. Again worked OK on my superhub!

There must be something I'm missing or the firewall is blocking stuff I don't want it to...

Original Poster

Does anyone have sky broadband and access Sabnzbd etc from another device on their network?

Can't connect to anything from another device eg should be able to type the server ip address on my phone then the port
192.168.0.101:8080

Doenst work at all now

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Are you accessing via the XXXXXXX.myhomeserver.com domain?

No don't know what that is...

On virgin all I did was go on my phone that is connected to the same router and in the browser type in 192.168.0.101:8080 for sab and it would show it

No port forwarding or anything.

Edited by: "phil001" 16th Oct 2015

so this is on the same network, not outside of your house then? what is the ip address (192.168.*.*) of your server, and what is the ip address of your phone? don't post your public ip address.

Original Poster

J

bluetba

so this is on the same network, not outside of your house then? what is … so this is on the same network, not outside of your house then? what is the ip address (192.168.*.*) of your server, and what is the ip address of your phone? don't post your public ip address.

Yes same network at home.

Just found out its windows firewall on the server causing the block, not the router.

It never caused issues on the previous router so don't understand why it is now
Obviously thought it was the router at fault because that's the only thing I changed!

Anyway, any ideas how to configuration windows firewall to allow this?
Shall I just dissable the part of the firewall for "home or work private network"

Thanks
Edited by: "phil001" 16th Oct 2015

Original Poster

Seriously ducked off with this today

Tried opening port 5050 in windows firewall but still doest work.
The only way I can connect through the network is it I turn windows firewall off

Grrrrr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions