Groups

Remotely view webcam on laptop - is there a way?

Is there a way to use my webcam & laptop like an indoor CCTV camera which I can log into if I want to view remotely?

Thanks in advance.

10 Comments

Yes, it does however need setting up.

Original Poster

joshp

Yes, it does however need setting up.

Hi, what do I need to set up and which software do I need?

gsj87

Hi, what do I need to set up and which software do I need?

The CCTV camera will likely have it's own software therefore without knowing what make/model it is I cannot say.

You could probably use 3rd party software too however that's your prerogative.

Here is a detailed guide for newbies. This is related to Hikvision however the principle would still apply to yours even if yours is another brand.

youtube.com/wat…B-4

Original Poster

I think I may have typed it wrong. I don't have any other type of CCTV camera, I just want to know if it's possible to use your laptop and the webcam built into the laptop to monitor what it's showing.

gsj87

I think I may have typed it wrong. I don't have any other type of CCTV … I think I may have typed it wrong. I don't have any other type of CCTV camera, I just want to know if it's possible to use your laptop and the webcam built into the laptop to monitor what it's showing.

You typed it right. I understood it.

You could set up a remote desktop connection. If the laptop and what you are viewing from are both windows 10 it is quite easy to do or from an android device something like teamviewer or chrome remote desktop

OP has a web cam not a CCTV camera

These links are for Free Windows OS based software - you can change the search criteria

download.cnet.com/s/w…ee/

Example
    WebCam Spy

Home Windows Software Communications Webcam Software WebCam SpyWebCam … Home Windows Software Communications Webcam Software WebCam SpyWebCam SpyPublisher's DescriptionFrom InternetSafetySoftware.com: WebCam Spy 4.0 lets you watch your home, office, or anywhere live through a Webcam. The software sends you a Web url to connect and you watch it live using any computer with a Web browser. Use WebCam Spy to watch your spouse at home while you're away or make sure your babysitter is not neglecting your kids. The software is very easy to install and use. It can run in stealth mode so no one will ever know its running. Point the Webcam anywhere in your house and see it live through a Web browser. Or use our client software which gives more features such as capture frames and save to file. Download your copy today!

IMHO it'll be a download, setup and test to find what works best for you

I use a 3rd party paid for software called Blue Iris which will do what you need but will be OTT for your needs

Not sure but think you would need to change power settings to ensure the pc/laptop doesn't sleep etc
    Edited by: "philphil61" 11th Nov 2016

have a look at yawcam

Original Poster

philphil61

OP has a web cam not a CCTV cameraThese links are for Free Windows OS … OP has a web cam not a CCTV cameraThese links are for Free Windows OS based software - you can change the search criteriahttp://download.cnet.com/s/webcam-monitoting/windows-free/ExampleWebCam SpyIMHO it'll be a download, setup and test to find what works best for youI use a 3rd party paid for software called Blue Iris which will do what you need but will be OTT for your needsNot sure but think you would need to change power settings to ensure the pc/laptop doesn't sleep etc

Brilliant, thank you!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1649
      2. The obvious next step become Ken then become Barbie1525
      3. Important info for Ryanair customers1825
      4. word association Game73944491

See more discussions