Expired

Removal insurance?

Found 29th Jan
Hello

I'm moving soon and the removal company I'm thinking of using requires that I have insurance for the move, however they charge £250 for this!

Any advice on where I can get this cheaper? That's almost double my yearly home insurance!

Thanks
Community Updates
AskFinance & Utilities
9 Comments
I've never had to pay for insurance from a removal company. What is the insurance for?
Edited by: "RossD89" 29th Jan
surely any removals company will have their own insurance which should be included in any quotes
Try looking around, but don’t consider not having it unless you move yourself. The last move I did with a company, I used Pickfords (as was moving across the country) and lots of stuff inexplicably went missing. We claimed for it under the insurance and it was settled without any issues but it was about £500 worth of items which definitely went on the van.

Moving yourself is ok apart from the washing machine,
If you do move yourself leave it behind and buy a new one particularly if you have steps. When I last moved (a move of 3 miles) Hiring a Luton van (box van with tail lift) was only £250 for 3 days and moved 3 bed house, garden stuff and shed full of stuff with it (took a few trips).
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 29th Jan
deleted800342
RossD8919 m ago

I've never had to pay for insurance from a removal company. What is the …I've never had to pay for insurance from a removal company. What is the insurance for?

The items they are moving.
deleted80034229th Jan

The items they are moving.

Shouldn't their insurance cover this?
deleted800342
adamspencer9512 m ago

surely any removals company will have their own insurance which should be …surely any removals company will have their own insurance which should be included in any quotes

I thought so, but that is not the case, hence my question.
Good home insurance, that properly reflects the contents value and includes accidental damage, should include professional removals. A premium used to be charged by some if the move involved the lorry not being unloaded the same day.

However, insurance companies are such a bunch of shylocking thieves these days (bar a few such as Hiscox, LV, NFU) that nothing can safely be assumed. Check with your contents insurer.
If you use a BAR registered company they would include it?
deleted800342
ccnp1 h, 5 m ago

Good home insurance, that properly reflects the contents value and …Good home insurance, that properly reflects the contents value and includes accidental damage, should include professional removals. A premium used to be charged by some if the move involved the lorry not being unloaded the same day.However, insurance companies are such a bunch of shylocking thieves these days (bar a few such as Hiscox, LV, NFU) that nothing can safely be assumed. Check with your contents insurer.

I've spoken to my insurer and my policy covers it
I've expired this thread but it appears people can still comment!
Thanks for the reply
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions