Remove smell of smoke from leather

Posted 16th Jan
I've just bought a leather office chair from a smoker and I need to get rid of the smokey smell.

I've tried cleaning it with a part vinegar/part water solution but the smell is still quite heavy.

Has anyone got any tried and tested methods?

3389898-rTHtk.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Remember a second hand chair will also have the previous owners farts in it.
12 Comments
Sprinkle a tub of baking soda over it and then leave it overnight. If that weather isn't going to be raining then you could try leaving it outside for a day afterwards.
Haircut_10016/01/2020 22:36

Sprinkle a tub of baking soda over it and then leave it overnight. If that …Sprinkle a tub of baking soda over it and then leave it overnight. If that weather isn't going to be raining then you could try leaving it outside for a day afterwards.

Thank you. I'll try both things It's a decent chair so I will do whatever it takes. Currently got a candle burning near it
Best solution - Throw it in the bin and buy a new one.

You will be smell that smoke for years. It just gets into leather and stinks.
Remember a second hand chair will also have the previous owners farts in it.
Well, it will depend how long and how much they have been smoking. You can try with cream cleaner and lots of days outdoor.

666FU17/01/2020 01:17

Remember a second hand chair will also have the previous owners farts in …Remember a second hand chair will also have the previous owners farts in it.

And snot stuck at the base.
Assuming it is actual leather. Get some proper leather cleaner. Maybe something from the Halfords or similar. Cars are a common place where this kind of thing gets cleaned up.
Might even be worth checking car valeting forums for tips.
The smoke has probably gotten inside of the chair. What is inside, foam perhaps? No getting that out.

I suggest you take up smoking
Turret-Buddy17/01/2020 07:19

The smoke has probably gotten inside of the chair. What is inside, foam …The smoke has probably gotten inside of the chair. What is inside, foam perhaps? No getting that out.I suggest you take up smoking

Yeah it feels like foam.
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I need to remind myself to ask people whether or not their items are from a smoke free home. I forget this.

Having said that, in 15 years of online trading, I've only ever ended up with smokey items twice. The first time I managed to sell back the item at the same price I bought it at to someone who came to collect it with a cigarette in his hand
Years ago I took back a pair of our most pricey (then) loud speakers why I cannot recollect but the shop account warned me politely in advance to be prepared & apologised for the trouble.

The courier turned up commenting how pungent his truck was, ..& what the hell was in it, ...he was puzzled as he knew what we did.
My indian mate started laughing & coughing (fast walking in his sandals) in our consignments in area of our large warehousing, ..the speakers with wood veneer has soaked up the spicy foods of whatever the homeowners were cooking, & not necessarily airing out via open windows.

To say the odour was problematic was an understatement, the condition bar a minor cosmetics I was able to repair cosmetically over made for a good pair of quality seconds, which were in short supply in the summer production run, a longstanding female member of staff wanted a pair in this colour (rosewood) ..I had a hell of a job (about 3 months as I recall) of airing, masking & airing again the speakers, replacing wadding, foam inserts, cleaning plastics etc. ..heck of a job & I wasn't prepare to let them go if there was the faintest spicy whiff.

Airing them for nuumerous weeks all day every day was the only thing that could be done to release / thin out / disperse the problem.
That meant lovingly walking them (carrying on shoulders twice per day) carefully, they weighed around 23kg each, ...it was crazy but too good to write off.

Try a "new car smell" car spray to wet the material, air it & tone it down, there are tobacco hints (to me) but also leather & lavender hints which might help the airing process. / borrow a air purifier & lock them in a small room.
A cover after the soda
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants