Removing a BIOS password

Posted 11th Oct
HI,

I have bought a laptop second hand, but it has a BIOS password set. Anyone know a way that I can remove it? I have tried disconnecting the battery and re connecting, and although that allows me to go into BIOS setup, it does not allow me to make any changes. Any help would be really appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
30 Comments
There's a coin cell battery on the motherboard somewhere, you need to remove that
esar11/10/2019 13:52

There's a coin cell battery on the motherboard somewhere, you need to …There's a coin cell battery on the motherboard somewhere, you need to remove that

Thanks, I have given that a go, but to no avail. It does allow me to go into the bios setup, but then does not allow me to make any changes to the security settings. I think doing this works with older laptops, but not the newer ones. Very frustrating though
Not being funny but there's absolutely loads of stuff on this subject with a simple "Google" search. Many seem to involve finding a particular jumper on the motherboard. Take a look for yourself. There's even Youtube vids on the subject.

google.co.uk/sea…t=5
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 11th Oct
allsa00111/10/2019 13:55

Thanks, I have given that a go, but to no avail. It does allow me to go …Thanks, I have given that a go, but to no avail. It does allow me to go into the bios setup, but then does not allow me to make any changes to the security settings. I think doing this works with older laptops, but not the newer ones. Very frustrating though

Short it out, there might be a capacitor hiding the memory, what does Google say?
What's the exact make/model of the laptop? Some machines write the BIOS password to non-volatile memory so even battery removals/capacitor discharges won't clear the password.
JosephRedfern11/10/2019 14:07

What's the exact make/model of the laptop? Some machines write the BIOS …What's the exact make/model of the laptop? Some machines write the BIOS password to non-volatile memory so even battery removals/capacitor discharges won't clear the password.

Thanks it's a Lenova P51s

I have googled lots, and another option I see is about changing jumper switches, but I am not able to find a guide for my particular model
Of course, I should really ask the obvious:

38646783-HPcjc.jpg

1) Why buy a "password protected" laptop? Did you not see it working prior to purchase?

2) Can you not ask the person you purchased said laptop from? Or, was it a 'bloke in the pub' jobbie?

3) Who the hell password protects the BIOS these days? Or ever? Hehe.
Whatever else you do, don't download any software to do it.

Whoever sold you the PC has possibly

> forgotten and willing to assist if you contact them. Ask them
> sold you goods which are not fit for purpose. Contact them
> not sold you goods with an adequate description. Depends if it was an auction

if the goods were over £100 and purchased from a business, you will hopefully have paid by credit card. Inforn the credit card merchant who is equally liable for the transaction.
allsa00111/10/2019 14:08

Thanks it's a Lenova P51sI have googled lots, and another option I see is …Thanks it's a Lenova P51sI have googled lots, and another option I see is about changing jumper switches, but I am not able to find a guide for my particular model

I don't think removing the battery will sort this for you. You might need to try and find the EEPROM chip on the motherboard and short the clock and data lines (SCL and SDL), but as you said, most instructions are for other models of Lenovo (like the T-series and X-series). I'm not actually sure if this method will work on newer thinkpads.

If you could provide some high resolution photos of the motherboard then maybe we could locate the EEPROM chip, but it's not guaranteed! Also worth noting that the P51s is basically the same as the T570, so if you could find a guide for that machine then you might be able to replicate it on yours.

You might be best off contacting the person you bought it from to ask rather than go through the hassle and risk of doing this.

Phsycronix11/10/2019 14:08

Of course, I should really ask the obvious:[Image] 1) Why buy a "password …Of course, I should really ask the obvious:[Image] 1) Why buy a "password protected" laptop? Did you not see it working prior to purchase?2) Can you not ask the person you purchased said laptop from? Or, was it a 'bloke in the pub' jobbie?3) Who the hell password protects the BIOS these days? Or ever? Hehe.

It's not clear if this is the password needed to power on the laptop, or the password needed to edit BIOS settings. If it's the latter, then I can easily imagine how this could be overlooked when testing out the machine.

Businesses often set BIOS supervisor passwords on their laptops to stop users from meddling around and/or disabling security features.
Edited by: "JosephRedfern" 11th Oct
Did you get it cheap cos it was password protected ?

I heard some laptops need a special BIOS flashed and its only available from manufacturer. They will ask you for receipt or ask you to pay.
JosephRedfern11/10/2019 14:23

Its not clear if this is the password needed to power on the laptop, or …Its not clear if this is the password needed to power on the laptop, or the password needed to edit BIOS settings. If its the latter, then I can easily imagine how this could be overlooked when testing out the machine.

True. Very true.

I assumed it was the "supervisor" password as OP said he can get in to Bios but can't change any settings. As esar suggested above, a short on the Eeprom would be required. Not really for the faint-hearted!
Phsycronix11/10/2019 14:44

True. Very true.I assumed it was the "supervisor" password as OP said he …True. Very true.I assumed it was the "supervisor" password as OP said he can get in to Bios but can't change any settings. As esar suggested above, a short on the Eeprom would be required. Not really for the faint-hearted!

I think it may have to come down to a short on the EEPROM.

Any ideas, or should I take it into a shop to see if they can do it?
allsa00111/10/2019 14:49

I think it may have to come down to a short on the EEPROM.Any ideas, or …I think it may have to come down to a short on the EEPROM.Any ideas, or should I take it into a shop to see if they can do it?

So, where did you get said laptop? You've not said yet whether contact with the 'seller' would glean any useful information?
Phsycronix11/10/2019 14:53

So, where did you get said laptop? You've not said yet whether contact …So, where did you get said laptop? You've not said yet whether contact with the 'seller' would glean any useful information?

Sorry, it was from a sort of computer fair. It worked at the fair, and I was happy with it. However, I formatted the hard drive today, as I wanted a clean install. But now it won't allow me to install windows without entering the BIOS password.
You should be able to flash the bios with an updated one
allsa00111/10/2019 14:58

Sorry, it was from a sort of computer fair. It worked at the fair, and I …Sorry, it was from a sort of computer fair. It worked at the fair, and I was happy with it. However, I formatted the hard drive today, as I wanted a clean install. But now it won't allow me to install windows without entering the BIOS password.

Ahhh, the old 'computer fair' bargain eh? I used to frequent a lot of those many years ago myself. Well, I hate to say it but it looks like you're a bit stuck there. Not your fault of course as most wouldn't even think "Bios" when reinstalling an OS.

Have you even tried all the 'silly' obvious passwords like "Password", "password" or "User", "God", "Supervisor", "enter", "Unlock", "Admin" etc. You'd be surprised (or not!) at how many people set an easy one. Hell, I've even seen "1234" before!

If you didn't pay a lot for it - and are handy at DIY-tech then have a crack at disabling it yourself. If you did decide to take it to a shop, at least remove the HDD first. Otherwise they might want proof of purchase before they'd touch it. Mind you, if you're paying money then 'most' probably wouldn't bat an eyelid!
I know you have tried most options, maybe have a closer look at these.
cocosenor.com/art…tml
Edited by: "fearona" 11th Oct
Could you remove the drive and install windows on it in another PC and let windows 10 sort out the drivers when you transfer it back, or would the efi/bios stop it booting?
melted11/10/2019 16:30

Could you remove the drive and install windows on it in another PC and let …Could you remove the drive and install windows on it in another PC and let windows 10 sort out the drivers when you transfer it back, or would the efi/bios stop it booting?

That's a good idea. The problem being is it is a funny type of hard drive. To format it, I had to buy an enclosure, and attach it to my pc by USB. Windows won't allow you to install to USB drives, so the install won't proceed.

However I could try and see if it fits inside another laptop, and try the installation on it then. Just not sure the other laptop will fit it, but worth a go.
I remember having this on some old computers, spammed the enter key three times for 3 incorrect attempts and then it unlocked Doubt that would work here but might as well try.
allsa00111/10/2019 16:37

That's a good idea. The problem being is it is a funny type of hard drive. …That's a good idea. The problem being is it is a funny type of hard drive. To format it, I had to buy an enclosure, and attach it to my pc by USB. Windows won't allow you to install to USB drives, so the install won't proceed.However I could try and see if it fits inside another laptop, and try the installation on it then. Just not sure the other laptop will fit it, but worth a go.

What type of drive is it?
allsa00111/10/2019 16:37

That's a good idea. The problem being is it is a funny type of hard drive. …That's a good idea. The problem being is it is a funny type of hard drive. To format it, I had to buy an enclosure, and attach it to my pc by USB. Windows won't allow you to install to USB drives, so the install won't proceed.However I could try and see if it fits inside another laptop, and try the installation on it then. Just not sure the other laptop will fit it, but worth a go.

Majority of laptops have a 2.5" drive. It should also be SATA if you used it in a recent USB enclosure. I guess there's no harm in popping the drive into another laptop and installing the OS. The only issue I can see might be the original laptops Bios might have 'hardware' issues when you plug it back in. Then, Windows might also have issues IF it manages to fire up!

Have a crack. What have you got to lose?
What model is it? Is the password on the BIOS or the hard drive? If the password is locked to the hard drive just buy a new drive, if it's the BIOS remove the CMOS battery. If that doesn't work, send me the model no and I'll help. All I ask in return is an online review for my computer shop. Thanks.
@allsa001 message me with the make and model of your laptop.
OP you've already been bombarded with suggestions but hopefully you'll see this one.

The machine you have is an enterprise level business laptop, from my experience with new dell and lenovo kit the isn't an easy way anymore to remove the BIOS password on modern business machines. It's not like the early 2000s when you could just pull the CMOS, the password is now stored on non-volatile memory after being set. Ever since TPM, secure boot, UEFI and various other high level security features tampering with the BIOS got very difficult.

Your options:

Find a unlock tool which derives a special unlock password from the serial.

Pay a grey market unlock supplier on eBay

Contact lenovo

From specs:
Security
Security chip
vPro (optional)
Fingerprint reader
NFC (optional)
Power-on password, hard disk password,supervisor password, security keyhole
Discrete TPM 2.0, TCG Certified
Intel vPro Technology
Optional: Touch style match on chip fingerprint reader on the palm rest
Edited by: "mogsog" 11th Oct
Is it a lenovo? If so you, you have a lengthy task ahead of you.

You will need to find a specific chip on the board (forgot what it’s called) and cause it to reset.

When I attempted this on a Lenovo, it didn’t reset. So I had to short it while it was on to somehow bypass the password. It was lengthy, and I probably wouldn’t buy another Lenovo with a supervisor password again because of this.

It can get fiddily
expandingmaan11/10/2019 21:14

Is it a lenovo? If so you, you have a lengthy task ahead of you. You will …Is it a lenovo? If so you, you have a lengthy task ahead of you. You will need to find a specific chip on the board (forgot what it’s called) and cause it to reset.When I attempted this on a Lenovo, it didn’t reset. So I had to short it while it was on to somehow bypass the password. It was lengthy, and I probably wouldn’t buy another Lenovo with a supervisor password again because of this. It can get fiddily

"Lenova P51s"

Said OP.

Which I can only assume is a Lenovo P51s very secure.
mogsog11/10/2019 21:25

"Lenova P51s" Said OP. Which I can only assume is a Lenovo P51s very …"Lenova P51s" Said OP. Which I can only assume is a Lenovo P51s very secure.

That is the one. I am just going to attempt installing windows on the hard drive, but in another laptop. Then transfer it over, and see whether it woks. If not, I think I have located the chip, but no idea how to short it
I couldn't transfer hard drives with my old laptop, as my old laptop has a completely different hard drive and connectors. Found a programme called WintoUSB. So trying to install windows using that, with the new hard drive in a USB enclosure.
Oh dear, I think I have messed it up good and proper now.
WHen I turn it on, the only thing that happens is it comes up with the error:
0199: System Security- Security password retry count exceeded

Press F1 to Enter setup

But when I press F1, it asks for the password, and then just goes to the locked sign
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants