Removing Microsoft key

Is it possible to remove a copy of windows 8 from a PC (both the software and key) and then transfer it to a laptop?

Reason being I got windows 8 and don't like it so want to go back to win 7, I have a old laptop without an OS so I'd like to transfer it to that.

Is this possible + legal?

5 Comments

Depends on what sort of key it is. Not all keys are transferrable, did the key come with the new PC ?

Original Poster

Just about to check if the second block of letter in the PID is oem I can't unless it's to a MB the same.

Original Poster

My id is like this xxxxx-00604-xxxxxxx-xxxxx so I'm guessing because the second block isn't OEM (eg xxxxx-OEM-xxxxxxx-xxxxx) it means I have a retail edition?

It is possible depending on the license type (if it's a bulk sold to OEM then the may argue).
Phone them and ask is the best bet 0344 800 2400 - 10p a min ,
as per all help desk , don't press a menu button and wait for a human.
if you have a proper license & disk pack rather than a sticker on a case then almost certain they will sort it.

if you haven't a key in the XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX format then almost no chance.

Edited by: "beavisrules" 9th Jan 2015

Original Poster

beavisrules

It is possible depending on the license type (if it's a bulk sold to OEM … It is possible depending on the license type (if it's a bulk sold to OEM then the may argue).Phone them and ask is the best bet 0344 800 2400 - 10p a min , as per all help desk , don't press a menu button and wait for a human.if you have a proper license & disk pack rather than a sticker on a case then almost certain they will sort it.if you haven't a key in the XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX format then almost no chance.

Just spoken with Microsoft support and was told this licence was offered as part of the dreamspark program so the licence is non-transferable.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Avoiding Car hire excess (Tenerife)57
    2. Anyone use a FitBit Surge?11
    3. seller asked for IMEI87
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1925

See more discussions