Removing old paint from a concrete step

Posted 23rd MayEdited by:"Sophiasky"
I have bought some black paint which is suitable for use on concrete. This is what my back door step (the front door one looks the same) looks like at the moment. I have tried to scrape the paint off, but hardly any of it is coming away. Would it be alright to paint the step with the black paint as it is, or do I have to remove all of the paint first? I have a cat flap built in to the door behind the step, so whatever I use, I need to make sure that my cats do not get it on their paws. Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thank you.
3469968.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Wire wheel on a drill will probably get it off
7ommy.7823/05/2020 14:41

Wire wheel on a drill will probably get it off

Agreed, little brush cup for drill or a wire wheel on a grinder.
Just give it a quick sand and paint it. You will be there forever trying to get it off. You won't notice it.
Check the paint you have incase it is oil based as you will have to keep the kitties indoors until the next day as oil based takes 8hours+ to dry.
Spirit based only takes 30 minutes and water around 2 hours.
It should tell you on tin how long it takes to dry anyway.
I'd be tempted to try paint stripper. You brush the gunky stuff onto the paint and after some time you can peel strips of paint off, the paint stripper does not need to soak in or discolour the concrete.
I'm looking at a couple at Toolstation now, a 50 mm brush cup (on a 6 mm spindle) and a 24 mm end brush (narrow gap at the back of the step under the door) - do you think these would be the right size to use? Do I need to buy a particular piece to slot them into before they get attached to the drill? Thank you.
Edited by: "Sophiasky" 23rd May
Why remove old paint, just paint over?
I Removed an area of gloss & Masonary paint off the wall by my front door, using a heat gun and zirconium flap disc on a 4 1/2 angle grinder
40849116-gPD78.jpg
Sophiasky23/05/2020 15:28

I'm looking at a couple at Toolstation now, a 50 mm brush cup (on a 6 mm …I'm looking at a couple at Toolstation now, a 50 mm brush cup (on a 6 mm spindle) and a 24 mm end brush (narrow gap at the back of the step under the door) - do you think these would be the right size to use? Do I need to buy a particular piece to slot them into before they get attached to the drill? Thank you.

Whatever you use, buy some safety goggles as well. small bits of wire or grit in your eye will spoil your day.
Cloeeez23/05/2020 15:21

Just give it a quick sand and paint it. You will be there forever trying …Just give it a quick sand and paint it. You will be there forever trying to get it off. You won't notice it.Check the paint you have incase it is oil based as you will have to keep the kitties indoors until the next day as oil based takes 8hours+ to dry.Spirit based only takes 30 minutes and water around 2 hours.It should tell you on tin how long it takes to dry anyway.

It says that it is water-based and takes 2-4 hours to dry. I might get the bits that people are recommending, as now that I have read up about them they can be used for rust, etc as well. They are not expensive - just a couple of pounds.
mas9923/05/2020 15:46

Whatever you use, buy some safety goggles as well. small bits of wire …Whatever you use, buy some safety goggles as well. small bits of wire or grit in your eye will spoil your day.

I have some safety goggles already, thank you anyway.
Do you need a primer?
Zinsser 123 is my go to paint
Edited by: "snoopy18" 23rd May
snoopy1823/05/2020 16:13

Do you need a primer? Zinsser 123 is my go to paint

I used some Zinsser B.I.N. last year for some interior painting that I had to do - somebody recommended it on this site to me and it is very good. I have not used the Zinsser 123 though - would need to look up the difference between them I think. Thank you, anyway.
Sophiasky23/05/2020 16:20

I used some Zinsser B.I.N. last year for some interior painting that I had …I used some Zinsser B.I.N. last year for some interior painting that I had to do - somebody recommended it on this site to me and it is very good. I have not used the Zinsser 123 though - would need to look up the difference between them I think. Thank you, anyway.

I think it’s called bin 123 but I could be wrong
You have the one I meant
As others have said use steel wire cups on a drill. If the paint stays it doesn’t matter. What’s important is if it’s stable. You will need several coats of masonry paint on that. Considering it’s a walkway I’d probably use four coats.
Nitromors
I just used a wire brush, then washed the whole area and scrubbed with a hard bristle hand brush, rinsed and painted. Looks great a year on.
Drill with wire brush. Angle grinder. High bar jet washer.
Just scrape off any loose flaky bits (which it looks like you've already done), brush or blow away any dust and then paint it.
No sense wasting time and money trying to remove sound paint just to put more paint on, and if you start using wire brushes, etc, you may damage the surface of the concrete.
Delbert.Grady24/05/2020 06:44

Just scrape off any loose flaky bits (which it looks like you've already …Just scrape off any loose flaky bits (which it looks like you've already done), brush or blow away any dust and then paint it. No sense wasting time and money trying to remove sound paint just to put more paint on, and if you start using wire brushes, etc, you may damage the surface of the concrete.

I did think about this - the paint is very sound, but if I just paint over the top won't the edges/patterns left from the previous paint show through, or would a couple of coats level it all out do you think? Thank you.
Sophiasky24/05/2020 08:55

I did think about this - the paint is very sound, but if I just paint over …I did think about this - the paint is very sound, but if I just paint over the top won't the edges/patterns left from the previous paint show through, or would a couple of coats level it all out do you think? Thank you.

I understand what you're saying, and yes the pattern/edges of the old paint underneath probably would be visible, because paint on paint will look slightly different to paint on bare concrete, and in my experience adding further coats might make it less noticeable but you would stiil see it.
I get the feeling this would bother you and you would see it every time you walked over it, and never be happy with it, so maybe its best to get all the old paint off and start with a bare concrete step, then you will get a nice even finish.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 24th May
Delbert.Grady24/05/2020 10:01

I understand what you're saying, and yes the pattern/edges of the old …I understand what you're saying, and yes the pattern/edges of the old paint underneath probably would be visible, because paint on paint will look slightly different to paint on bare concrete, and in my experience adding further coats might make it less noticeable but you would stiil see it.I get the feeling this would bother you and you would see it every time you walked over it, and never be happy with it, so maybe its best to get all the old paint off and start with a bare concrete step, then you will get a nice even finish.

Thank you for your comments. I will decide over the weekend what I will do about the step.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions