Groups

Removing superglue?

Hi guys,

Just got a quick question.

I was being a bit silly and managed to get some small sprays of superglue onto old laptop's glossy screen. I'm not sure if there is anything I can do to remove it? (have tried 99% isopropyl / laptop display cleaning liquid / thermal paste cleaning liquid - doesn't seem to be going)

It's not too visible - so if it's looking tricky to get rid of it - I'd be happy to just let it go and leave it. Though if there is suggestions, I'd be more than happy to try at my expense Was a bit conscious about the superglue remover liquid as I'm unsure if it might make things worse.

11 Comments

Google says - Not to worry, for even though Super Glue is incredibly strong, it has one weakness: Acetone.
    Acetone is often found in household nail polish remover, and a small amount on the end of a Q-tip or cotton swab applied directly to the glue should dissolve the bond.

I'd try a very small drop on the screen first to make sure it doesn't dissolve anything other than the superglue!

There are many types of super glue remover on the market screwfix comes to mind which work well

The coatings on a screen can be fairly easily removed so I wouldn't use anything that you don't know if safe for the screen.

Lol don't use anything!!! As if you do you may it will cause a lot more problems.
    Unfortunately anything to remove superglue will damage your screen.
    Your only solution is to put up with it or replace the screen.

If it's not bad leave it as you could make matters worse and you'll be cursing yourself until the end of time.

try a 10% fabic condisional solution on sceen it is a release agent give it a few minuates and see if you can see if it come off

If you're real careful you can use a flat stanley blade to skim. Just need to be really careful.

That acetone will melt your plastic screen!!!!

I havent tried it with superglue, but olive oil will soften and lift off a lot of spills (it works with other dried glues); even dried gloss paint. you just have to be patient and give it time to work its way under the dried on crud, then gently try to remove it. You can then get rid of the olive oil with normal mild detergent.

With a plastic monitor screen, I suggest using something made from wood, like a lolly stick, as even plastics might be too hard.

As people have said I wouldn't recommend acetone as the screen is plastic so it will be damaged. Once removed a little bit of superglue from the frame of a pair of glasses. Wasn't even on long and whilst I removed the superglue I also removed the shine on the black plastic

Original Poster

Ordered some acetone / what appears to be nail vanish liquid?

(looking at the comments - might just leave these to be - it's preferable to have a display that works).

Thanks very much for the comments people.
    Edited by: "Quicklite" 2nd Jul

Original Poster

Evening guys - the bottle of acetone has arrived.

Managed to use it to remove the superglue spillage on the metal trackpad.

Was conscious of applying it onto the display thanks to your previous comments here - so I tested it on a unused DVD. Thank goodness that I did not apply it on the display. It would been possibly frightful I think. Will give the rest of the bottle to my friend who paints their nails I think.

Thanks again people

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Has your £2.50 Topcashback been paid from the last offer?22
      2. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!2027
      3. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?915
      4. Back to European satellite tv32

See more discussions