Renault Grand Scenic: Advise Please

9 replies
Found 20th May 2009
Please All, I need your feedback on this car, need to get one asap.
All advise will be appreciated for and against.
Fuel
Engine size
transmittion. etc.

Cheers

1. Misc
  2. Renault
9 Comments

why not just look at the renault web site

I had a 1.6 petrol and it was very very under powered so would advice you to go down to renault garage and test drive a few.

I have a cmax 1.6tdci and it is amazing , you considered one of those??

Please do not buy one!!!!

I had the misfortune to own an 04 Scenic (1.6 auto) it was the most awful car I have ever owned. Bits dropped of on a regular basis, the auto gearbox had to be rebuilt and (a known fault) all of the ignition coils had to be replaced. The central keyless locking took over a year to be repaired properly and it ate tyres and brakes.

If it is out of warranty do not touch !! If it is in warranty get used to the dealers coffee and the fact that it has lemming like depreciation. Mine cost £17,500 brand new and after 3 years I struggled to get £5,500.

Check out a lot of the reviews on What car and you'll see what I mean.

Buy a VW group maybe a Seat Altea or a Volvo but please not a renault.

Hope this helps. Chilli

Original Poster

WAOOO. I guess back to the drawing board.

We have 55 plate Renault Grand Scenic. It is Manual, diesel can't remember the engine size (Typical woman) When my husband comes in later I will ask him and let you know.

I have got to say this is one of the best cars we have ever bought. We have had Fords (The Focus was great but the Galaxy was a pile of poo), Mazda's, Rovers and others I can't remember.

Admittedly I don't tear around - but certainly it pulls away from the lights fast enough not to annoy my husband (Which is easy).

He did alot of research before buying our car and I do remember mention of not buying particular models because they are too sluggish.

We informed the local renault garages of the make and model we were waiting for - and kept checking the web sites until it came into stock. It did take a while - there were loads of the models we didn't want!

Anyway - I hope I haven't bored you and have been of some use - I'll get back to you re the exact model of our car!

Hubby says ours is a 1.9 dci - diesel - 55 plate, manual

He said you have to stay away from the Petrol - low power version as it isn't anywhere near as good.

Not had anything fall off - and have only had the car in for it's first MOT this year and a service this year and last year.

Obviously had a tyre change when necessary - oil - the normal maintenance.

We both truly love this vehicle it meets all our needs.

You struggled to get 5.5k for it because everybody else paid £12k for brand new 1.9dci models at that time, so your auto petrol for 17.5k was on the high side

The 1.6 coils are an annoying fault on the Megane and Scenic, but one which is also common to other marques including VW (which is not surprising, because of course only a few companies make the coils). Handsfree keyless locking is not even an option on most cars, but on the Meganes and Scenics it can fail due to water ingress on the sensor. All this means is that it is just standard keyless locking and handsfree starting, rather handsfree unlocking. A fault to the keyless side would be very rare. But yes, I agree, the 1.6 auto box is poor. I am not sure what bits dropped off to comment, though.

chillipuss;5270762

Please do not buy one!!!! I had the misfortune to own an 04 Scenic (1.6 … Please do not buy one!!!! I had the misfortune to own an 04 Scenic (1.6 auto) it was the most awful car I have ever owned. Bits dropped of on a regular basis, the auto gearbox had to be rebuilt and (a known fault) all of the ignition coils had to be replaced. The central keyless locking took over a year to be repaired properly and it ate tyres and brakes.If it is out of warranty do not touch !! If it is in warranty get used to the dealers coffee and the fact that it has lemming like depreciation. Mine cost £17,500 brand new and after 3 years I struggled to get £5,500.Check out a lot of the reviews on What car and you'll see what I mean.Buy a VW group maybe a Seat Altea or a Volvo but please not a renault.Hope this helps. Chilli

Back to the OP, I would recommend nothing less than the 1.9 dci if you will use the car for any distances, although avoid the 1.9 dci if you are looking pre-54 reg due to the higher level of turbo failures. Ignore the 18k service interval and at least do an interim oil/filter change. Aim for a dynamique or above if you can, you will appreciate it.

Original Poster

Thank you for all the response.

We have a 1.9dci Scenic, and its got great fuel economy and is very nippy. Good 6 speed box too - very smooth and easy to drive. Don't be put of by others - its great.

Looked at the Cmax, but was smaller than the Scenic, and the visibility wasn't as good as the Scenic either.

Just our opinion though
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition72795
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk11
    3. Win Google Pixel 2 or a Google Pixel 2 XL11
    4. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…66

See more discussions