Renault scenic 2007

Posted 26th Dec 2019
hi,
can anyone offer me any advice on what maybe wrong with my renault scenic (2007) broke down on car park the other day after driving the car fine went into aldi shopping came back out and car wouldnt start , put key fob in it was trying to start and turn over but engine does not fire, so phoned insurance cause didn't have my breakdown covers number turned out didn't have breakdown cover at all as they didn't add it on with my renewal, so set up break down cover with my insurance they said breakdown wouldnt kick in till 12 midnight so to call back tomorrow so that what I did. my breakdown turned up at aldi the day after the man got in the car and it started first time on several occasions it started so drove it to my sisters went in for coffee then popped to b and m before going home finally got home was home for about an hour when I realised I left something at my sister so went to go grab it and car wouldnt start again same thing was happening, so left it a couple of hour and started again on several occasions havent tried it since as it's been Christmas but scared to go anywhere incase car refuses to start up and I'm stranded with 4 kids.in car can anyone suggest what could be up with it please.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
It's probably best to take it to a garage to let them have a look at it.
It's French, it keeps going on strike.
Edited by: "joyf4536" 26th Dec 2019
Flat battery? Ignition or and starting barrel problems? I agree with haircut 100 you'll need to get it into the garage. A 2007 scenic, being honest I'm surprised it's still running at all.
As above, take it to a garage. The breakdown company could refuse to come out for the same fault repeatedly.
It could be an issue with the key - if the engine is turning over it could be that the key code isn’t deactivating the immobiliser. Do you have another key you could try?
ktm66626/12/2019 10:05

As above, take it to a garage. The breakdown company could refuse to come …As above, take it to a garage. The breakdown company could refuse to come out for the same fault repeatedly. It could be an issue with the key - if the engine is turning over it could be that the key code isn’t deactivating the immobiliser. Do you have another key you could try?

No didn't come with another key and it's trying to find a garage in my area that's open, the breakdown didn't do anything to car as it started first time when they came out.
List a few more shops that you visited, it's hard to diagnose the fault with so few data-points.
Have you checked aldi dont have anpr cameras because you'll be getting a parking fine if they are setup like asda etc where its max 3 hour stay
Needs a new battery
Erudite26/12/2019 10:17

List a few more shops that you visited, it's hard to diagnose the fault …List a few more shops that you visited, it's hard to diagnose the fault with so few data-points.

Funny boy (not) was saying where I'd been to give a rough time frame
Mark_Hickman26/12/2019 11:07

Have you checked aldi dont have anpr cameras because you'll be getting a …Have you checked aldi dont have anpr cameras because you'll be getting a parking fine if they are setup like asda etc where its max 3 hour stay

Went in and spoke to manager thanks
Had this exact problem with a car. Turned out to be an ignition issue. Distributor cap rotor arm was VERY worn so would start ok from cold, but if the engine had been running for a while - no dice! You could try and try to start it but it wouldn't play ball. Leave it to "cool" down for a while and away she would go, as if nothing was wrong. Of course, modern cars don't necessarily have distributors and points any more so I can't say this is your particular problem. A 'sticky' starter motor perhaps?

Did you happen to inform Aldi that your car would be sitting on their park overnight? Just in case they have any restrictions in place, you don't want a PCN to add to your troubles!

Hope you can get to the bottom of your issue. There's nothing worse than having a car you have to play "Russian Roulette" with EVERY time you go out. Been there - done that. Get it to a mechanic but drive it around for a while before you go and get it warmed up. Hopefully by then you can replicate the issue upon arrival. It's a process of elimination but it can only be either air, fuel or electrical when it comes to starting.

All the best, Phsy.
Phsycronix26/12/2019 11:20

Had this exact problem with a car. Turned out to be an ignition issue. …Had this exact problem with a car. Turned out to be an ignition issue. Distributor cap rotor arm was VERY worn so would start ok from cold, but if the engine had been running for a while - no dice! You could try and try to start it but it wouldn't play ball. Leave it to "cool" down for a while and away she would go, as if nothing was wrong. Of course, modern cars don't necessarily have distributors and points any more so I can't say this is your particular problem. A 'sticky' starter motor perhaps?Did you happen to inform Aldi that your car would be sitting on their park overnight? Just in case they have any restrictions in place, you don't want a PCN to add to your troubles!Hope you can get to the bottom of your issue. There's nothing worse than having a car you have to play "Russian Roulette" with EVERY time you go out. Been there - done that. Get it to a mechanic but drive it around for a while before you go and get it warmed up. Hopefully by then you can replicate the issue upon arrival. It's a process of elimination but it can only be either air, fuel or electrical when it comes to starting.All the best, Phsy.

Thank you you've been alot of help im going to have to take it to garage and hope they can find out what the problem is no wheels open today so hopefully tomorrow.
Petrol or Diesel?
If its petrol and turning over then its either a fuel supply problem or ignition most likely. Possibly a plug lead, but really, one going shouldn't cause it not to start at all. I would check that they are all tightly on though. Theres also the possibility 2 have gone which would probably stop it starting.
I'm guessing you don't have much mechanical knowledge, but if it was mine I would start by checking the spark at each plug, whipping the plugs out and checking them, as both those are free and easy to do. Then I would be looking at the distributor cap and rotor arm (inside the cap), see if they are dirty, worn or cracked, then look at the air filter and change the fuel filter if nothing else works.
Problem is, you really need to do all these things when it's not starting. Is it running smoothly when it does start?
If you Google it you'll find it's probably a bad crank sensor
Google "2007 scenic intermittent starting problem"
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants