RENT A ROOM

Posted 16th Feb
Hey guys,
I am new here in UK and currently searching for a room on rent near Luton. Can anyone please let me know what best ways I can get my thing sorted asap?
Any suggestions on how to find it online or offline?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Pretty much spareroom.co.uk is your best starting point - good luck finding somewhere!
tentimestootart16/02/2020 07:50

Pretty much spareroom.co.uk is your best starting point - good luck …Pretty much spareroom.co.uk is your best starting point - good luck finding somewhere!

Thanks for your guidance. Appreciated!
Also check gumtree.
bozo00716/02/2020 08:07

Also check gumtree.

Yes for sure

Thanks for helping.
Welcome and good luck!
there are a few websites that advertise rooms for rent. spareroom is particularly popular but there are also others if you google spare rooms for rent. gumtree is also a good source but do be careful with gumtree as there are a lot of scams and fraudsters on gumtree.

my tenants often find replacement flatmates when one of their flatmates move out and they want to stay on so make sure you get to speak to the landlord before you hand over any money as your contract will be with the landlord and not the flatmates who have advertised the room if it is not the landlord advertising the room.
Welcome and good luck with your search
mutley116/02/2020 09:23

there are a few websites that advertise rooms for rent. spareroom is …there are a few websites that advertise rooms for rent. spareroom is particularly popular but there are also others if you google spare rooms for rent. gumtree is also a good source but do be careful with gumtree as there are a lot of scams and fraudsters on gumtree. my tenants often find replacement flatmates when one of their flatmates move out and they want to stay on so make sure you get to speak to the landlord before you hand over any money as your contract will be with the landlord and not the flatmates who have advertised the room if it is not the landlord advertising the room.

Thanks buddy. Will definitely keep in mind what you informed me.

One more question, Does the listed rent includes all bills like water,electricity etc?
Ankit_Gaekwad16/02/2020 12:11

Thanks buddy. Will definitely keep in mind what you informed me. One …Thanks buddy. Will definitely keep in mind what you informed me. One more question, Does the listed rent includes all bills like water,electricity etc?

there are two types if rentals available in the uk for rooms. room let only where the landlord will issue you with a contract for your room only. the second type is for the whole property so although you have rented a room, you will be required to sign a contract with your flatmates for the whole property. you would then be responsible, together with your flatmates, for the whole property and not just for your room.

the room only contract will often include all bills but the second option would normally not do so. the advert will state if bills are included or not. if they don't state bills included then it will mean that it is excluded.
mutley116/02/2020 12:25

there are two types if rentals available in the uk for rooms. room let …there are two types if rentals available in the uk for rooms. room let only where the landlord will issue you with a contract for your room only. the second type is for the whole property so although you have rented a room, you will be required to sign a contract with your flatmates for the whole property. you would then be responsible, together with your flatmates, for the whole property and not just for your room.the room only contract will often include all bills but the second option would normally not do so. the advert will state if bills are included or not. if they don't state bills included then it will mean that it is excluded.

Understood!
And advertisement shows £xx pcm, Does it mean weekly or monthly?
Ankit_Gaekwad16/02/2020 12:38

Understood!And advertisement shows £xx pcm, Does it mean weekly or monthly?

Per calendar month. So monthly
Ankit_Gaekwad16/02/2020 12:38

Understood!And advertisement shows £xx pcm, Does it mean weekly or monthly?

pcm = per calendar month. rent are often expressed as per calendar month. you will probably have to pay a damage deposit as well, which will be anything up to 5 weeks of rent.
bozo00716/02/2020 08:07

Also check gumtree.

Don't use Gumtree. People never learn it's full of weirdos
mutley116/02/2020 12:57

pcm = per calendar month. rent are often expressed as per calendar month. …pcm = per calendar month. rent are often expressed as per calendar month. you will probably have to pay a damage deposit as well, which will be anything up to 5 weeks of rent.

Nicely explained. Thanks again 😃
dandoc216/02/2020 14:26

Haha.
Will browse Spareroom instead.
Thanks.
dandoc216/02/2020 14:26

i wouldn't completely dismiss gumtree. you just have to be more wary that's all. estate agents themselves advertise on gumtree. even on a more popular site like spareroom, you would still need to do your due diligence and make sure you are not being ripped off. spareroom is only a platform like gumtree so it doesn't vet the people who post the adverts on there either.
When I got a job in London, I asked at my new place and someone offered me a room.
mutley116/02/2020 16:51

i wouldn't completely dismiss gumtree. you just have to be more wary …i wouldn't completely dismiss gumtree. you just have to be more wary that's all. estate agents themselves advertise on gumtree. even on a more popular site like spareroom, you would still need to do your due diligence and make sure you are not being ripped off. spareroom is only a platform like gumtree so it doesn't vet the people who post the adverts on there either.

I agree with you.
Just because people had bad experiences with gumtree I wrote that. As I am totally new hence a website with less % of scammers is preferable by myself.
AirBNB is from about £510 per month for Luton town centre & £430 a bus ride away.
If your not in so much of a hurry to find a room more permanent then maybe a contractors hotel... They about £85 a week here in my area couldn't comment on Luton and then you could take your time looking when in the area for a decent room.
Gumtree like anywhere can be problems... I've bought quite a few pets from there, had no bother with that.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants