Rent out flat fully furnished - google and hue take away?

Posted 24th Dec 2019
Hi all, I'm thinking of renting out my apartment so I can go abroad for nine months, (I'm a man so not for that reason) anyway it got me wondering. My flat pretty much has google in every room and philips lights, shall I keep them as part of the flat or store them away? I have to use a storage facility anyway for clothes and other things I don't want people to use.
Interested in your thoughts... Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Hard to find tenants that respect your goods in the house, saw tenants who consistently drop the remote controller but never seem to drop there mobile. most act as water gas electric is unlimited therefore I would only leave wifi available. Good luck
Indeed, twice burned, thrice warned. Never again.

There is absolutely zero reason to spend at most, more than a month on benefits. And don’t say there aren’t any jobs out there, otherwise the trillions of job agencies out there wouldn’t be in business.

95% if not higher of people on jobseekers or “on the sick” are chancers who will never work a day in their lives, who think the state owes them a living.

Those same people are quick to jump on the uneducated bandwagon that it’s the immigrants who are taking all the jobs, or the Poles. When in reality they’re doing a job most think is beneath them.

But this is straying from the subject matter, so, in my experience, I’d say you’re statistically more likely to have a bad tenant if they’re on benefits.

Cant pay we’ll take it away - case in point every, single, episode.
26 Comments
Whatever you don’t want to be broken or stolen, stow it away
Hard to find tenants that respect your goods in the house, saw tenants who consistently drop the remote controller but never seem to drop there mobile. most act as water gas electric is unlimited therefore I would only leave wifi available. Good luck
too much hassle for just 9 months.
Just buy some cheap replacement non-smart LED bulbs. Disconnect your Google devices and Hue bulbs then store them away.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 24th Dec 2019
"I'm a man so not for that reason"

We would never assume your gender. Anyway, men can get pregnant if you are to believe the way society is heading.
Renting a flat out for just 9 months is not an easy thing to do. Most tenants would want a minimum of 12 months with a 6 month break clause.
I would also remove everything and replace with standard light fittings etc. Having smart fittings won’t add to the rentability of the flat or the monthly rent.
Thanks all...Nine months won't be a problem, it's finding the correct tenants that will be. If I can't then I won't go away, if I do then I'll take google and philips away...
Edited by: "catch22" 24th Dec 2019
What about Air BnB? Could be an alternative to renting out
@mutley1 one for you.
Check out spareroom.co.uk as well, you can make an advert and list how long it'll be available for, and you can also tailor your advert to what kind of people you want. (Working, students, professionals etc)

It's worked for me in the past. Make sure you credit check them (around £3 to do) and also double check their references, a lot will put down friends/family. I've also in the past asked to see a payslip to prove they can afford the rent. A lot will lie about working and claim housing benefit/benefits and pay you via that way.

Avoid at all costs anyone on benefits though. If they don't have the inclination or will to get off there arse and support themselves, do you really think they are going to value and respect your property?
BadMF24/12/2019 12:59

Check out https://www.spareroom.co.uk as well, you can make an advert and …Check out https://www.spareroom.co.uk as well, you can make an advert and list how long it'll be available for, and you can also tailor your advert to what kind of people you want. (Working, students, professionals etc)It's worked for me in the past. Make sure you credit check them (around £3 to do) and also double check their references, a lot will put down friends/family.

Just because someone has a good credit history does not make them 100% trustworthy. Similarly, just because someone has had troubles with credit does not mean they are not honest hardworking people that will not bite the hand that feeds them

I've also in the past asked to see a payslip to prove they can afford the …I've also in the past asked to see a payslip to prove they can afford the rent. A lot will lie about working and claim housing benefit/benefits and pay you via that way.

And? What's the problem with getting paid via benefits? I do get that lying is bad, don't get me wrong, but most estate agents have discriminated against people with benefits and as such they have a hard time finding properties by being trustworthy.

Avoid at all costs anyone on benefits though. If they don't have the …Avoid at all costs anyone on benefits though. If they don't have the inclination or will to get off there arse and support themselves, do you really think they are going to value and respect your property?

Wow, way to generalise!

It sounds like you've been burned, I'm sorry for your bad experience.
Indeed, twice burned, thrice warned. Never again.

There is absolutely zero reason to spend at most, more than a month on benefits. And don’t say there aren’t any jobs out there, otherwise the trillions of job agencies out there wouldn’t be in business.

95% if not higher of people on jobseekers or “on the sick” are chancers who will never work a day in their lives, who think the state owes them a living.

Those same people are quick to jump on the uneducated bandwagon that it’s the immigrants who are taking all the jobs, or the Poles. When in reality they’re doing a job most think is beneath them.

But this is straying from the subject matter, so, in my experience, I’d say you’re statistically more likely to have a bad tenant if they’re on benefits.

Cant pay we’ll take it away - case in point every, single, episode.
Once bitten, twice shy as the saying goes.
Yes, well. I let someone with a sob story get to my better judgement, it ended as I predicted it would, with them evicted and myself several thousand pounds lighter in the bank.
tenants sadly do not respect landlord's properties. i have never found anyone, even the really good tenants who will spend time decorating the property and doing the property up in their own time and of their own accord because they plan to stay for years, still will not look after the property the way that you would do if the house and its fittings belonged to you.

don't know what it is about people's mentality but as soon as they know it is not their stuff, they seem to take less care of it, even though they know that any damage will be taken out of their deposit. it may just be a mind set.

renting a property out is not an easy task and if you use an estate agent then their fees to eat away most of the rent for the 9 months. as you are out of the country for 9 months, you will need someone to manage the property for you. being a landlord can also be very costly as repairs have to be done immediately and not left aside until you have enough money to deal with it. there are also strict housing laws to follow so as others have already said, if it is just the 9 months, i would not bother unless you know a friend or a relation that you can rent to.

having a rented property when you are abroad will just make your time abroad a hassle as you are out of contact and you still need to keep an eye on what is going on.
mutley124/12/2019 14:47

tenants sadly do not respect landlord's properties. i have never found …tenants sadly do not respect landlord's properties. i have never found anyone, even the really good tenants who will spend time decorating the property and doing the property up in their own time and of their own accord because they plan to stay for years, still will not look after the property the way that you would do if the house and its fittings belonged to you.don't know what it is about people's mentality but as soon as they know it is not their stuff, they seem to take less care of it, even though they know that any damage will be taken out of their deposit. it may just be a mind set.renting a property out is not an easy task and if you use an estate agent then their fees to eat away most of the rent for the 9 months. as you are out of the country for 9 months, you will need someone to manage the property for you. being a landlord can also be very costly as repairs have to be done immediately and not left aside until you have enough money to deal with it. there are also strict housing laws to follow so as others have already said, if it is just the 9 months, i would not bother unless you know a friend or a relation that you can rent to.having a rented property when you are abroad will just make your time abroad a hassle as you are out of contact and you still need to keep an eye on what is going on.

The ones we rent out to polish families generally are well looked after - not stereotyping but they do a fantastic job of upkeep and always pay on time. Hence we’ve not raised the rent at all.
thecoolguy24/12/2019 14:55

The ones we rent out to polish families generally are well looked after - …The ones we rent out to polish families generally are well looked after - not stereotyping but they do a fantastic job of upkeep and always pay on time. Hence we’ve not raised the rent at all.

i have had tenants from pretty much around the globe and the eastern europeans tend to look after a property more than others, but they can also destroy a property more than anyone else! it all depends on the person and how long they plan to stay.

but yes, if i like the tenants then i will keep the rent low and if i don't like them then i increase the rent as i don't want to keep them and would prefer that they leave.
Just buy the right landlords insurance & you are covered. You must insure for all fittings & fixtures & for rental loss in case you get a tenant who gives you 2 months money then doesn't pay rent after the initial contract signing. After all you are abroad & there would be jack all you can do about it. Or even worse not pay after the initial contract & refuse to leave the property. That will take you another 3 months to evict whilst you will have to stay somewhere else & pay rent or board whilst receiving no income from the property.. You are better off going through a professional agency too.

Start by looking at insurance. Direct Line would have you fully covered for any loss but you will have to pay for it with the add ons. But if you have never rented before you really should be looking at the best insurance you can get.
Hopefully you'll be ending your internet contract too.
This will render the devices inoperative, so I'd manually disconnect them all {through the app associated with it) otherwise you'll have to faff around resetting each one manually.
Then there's the privacy issue, you'd have to give them your account passwords to the various apps
My tenants moved out in October, they did not deliberately destroy my house.
But needed to be fully redecorated, new carpets light fittings kitchen sink and taps. Bathroom taps and en-suite taps.
£4000 in repairs so far.

They were there for 9 years and paid rent on time every month.
But would rather sit in the dark than buy a new bulb and fit it.

My personal advice is don’t do it.
I've done this a few times and had the best luck with young, professional married couples. They're past the partying stage, and usually focused on saving for the future. I never had a problem finding someone - people always need temp accommodation when first moving to a new city, or if they are in-between selling/buying their own place.

Strip the flat of anything valuable or personal. Be prepared to replace all bedding/towels/mattress when you return. Consider a cover for your sofa. Any expensive kitchen equipment lock away and swap over for cheap Argos stuff. If it's only for 9 months, keep the bills in your name. If your flat is particularly nice, I'd consider having a cleaner of your choosing as a condition of rental. Build the price in.

Be picky as hell with tenants and never, ever fall for a sob story. Good luck!
BadMF24/12/2019 13:22

Indeed, twice burned, thrice warned. Never again.There is absolutely zero …Indeed, twice burned, thrice warned. Never again.There is absolutely zero reason to spend at most, more than a month on benefits. And don’t say there aren’t any jobs out there, otherwise the trillions of job agencies out there wouldn’t be in business. 95% if not higher of people on jobseekers or “on the sick” are chancers who will never work a day in their lives, who think the state owes them a living.Those same people are quick to jump on the uneducated bandwagon that it’s the immigrants who are taking all the jobs, or the Poles. When in reality they’re doing a job most think is beneath them. But this is straying from the subject matter, so, in my experience, I’d say you’re statistically more likely to have a bad tenant if they’re on benefits.Cant pay we’ll take it away - case in point every, single, episode.

you need to take yourself away and sort yourself out. I am on benefits as I live with lung and liver cancer and my wife has MS. We pay every bill on time and are not chancers nor are a whole load of people I know. But there are lots who are not on benefits who are chancers and cads, who love to rip people off.
In fact my house has been destroyed by three sets of tennents, not one was on benefits, all had good jobs but it cost us thousands (when we both worked) to fix it each time.
Edited by: "gary.howard" 27th Dec 2019
No thanks Gary.
gary.howard27/12/2019 12:45

you need to take yourself away and sort yourself out. I am on benefits as …you need to take yourself away and sort yourself out. I am on benefits as I live with lung and liver cancer and my wife has MS. We pay every bill on time and are not chancers nor are a whole load of people I know. But there are lots who are not on benefits who are chancers and cads, who love to rip people off.In fact my house has been destroyed by three sets of tennents, not one was on benefits, all had good jobs but it cost us thousands (when we both worked) to fix it each time.

Sorry to hear about your illnesses.

Unfortunately we have to face the fact that these days we live in a society where the majority of people appear to exhibit a belief that the ill, elderly and dying are just an annoying burden.

It's very sad to see it, but it does appear to be the way the general public seem to be going as they dump compassion in favour of a man-mind-thyself approach.
Many of them justify their actions by tarring everyone with the same brush.

Wishing you all the best in coping with your situation and may God help you get through whatever is ahead.
tryn2help27/12/2019 15:39

Sorry to hear about your illnesses. Unfortunately we have to face the …Sorry to hear about your illnesses. Unfortunately we have to face the fact that these days we live in a society where the majority of people appear to exhibit a belief that the ill, elderly and dying are just an annoying burden. It's very sad to see it, but it does appear to be the way the general public seem to be going as they dump compassion in favour of a man-mind-thyself approach. Many of them justify their actions by tarring everyone with the same brush.Wishing you all the best in coping with your situation and may God help you get through whatever is ahead.

Thank you. We are all positive and looking for the hduk future
BadMF27/12/2019 13:12

No thanks Gary.

Lol nobody got your comment, I thought it was hilarious though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions