Groups

Rented property - fair wear and tear?

Hello everyone! I am living in rented accomodation and I will be leaving in a few months (cant wait). Anyway, the property is a bit rubbish (was when I moved in). I am wondering if spills on carpets will count as wear and tear? My bedroom carpet has a few stains (carpet was described in the inventory as showing a few signs of wear and tear). Am I liable for the stains? The carpet wasnt great when I moved in 3 years ago and so the general condition of it has got worse.

Also, the freezer drawers (which arent referred to in the inventory) are broke. One of the pull down drawers in freezer snapped quite badly. Its an inbuilt freezer and is really old (as is the whole kitchen). Will they check this and will I be liable for it even though its not mentioned in inventory?

There is a few other bits and pieces that are in not "perfect" condition such as when I moved in but to what extent are these counted? Its generally in good condition, but as landlord lazy and this place not great its not in good condition. The sink is VERY worn and stained, but inventory did say "bit of wear and tear". Now its a lot and its stained. Its a horrible sink, its white and grey speckled and the surface appears to have disappeared a bit and stains are now worn into the sink...no matter how much I scrub it. My property unfurnished.

ALSO I have a chip in the worktop when the washing machine was replaced where the man banged it into the worktop. I only seen it a few weeks ago. I am worried they will charge me for this too.

Thanks everyone in advance!

(My tenancy deposit was over £1000 and is in the tenancy deposit scheme)

19 Comments

Depends purely on how leniant the landlord/letting agency are.

Some will understand and be fine............others will hammer you hard. Only way to tell for sure is to get them out and inspect it.

Banned

I would try your best to get the stains out, wear and tear is different to a stain. You can bet though they'll take as much money out of your deposit they can. We had a huge hole in one of the doors that the other guy punched through...the land lord said not to worry about it though?? go figure. I ended up cleaning the house from top to bottom, looked better than when we went in though. The other guys didn't get any deposit back I made sure I got mine.

If you are going into rented accomodation again - make sure you take photo's as you move in!

Also there should be reasonable wear and tear on the carpet - you would expect that - it can't be in new condition 3 years later - especially when it was already well worn!

As for breakages - did the landlord have insurance? Some things might be claimable on insurance... she might well make a few stories up just for claims purposes!

Good luck I hope she is a reasonable landlord

My Sister Only Got A Few Marks On The Wall And Sofa, And Had To Pay For Paint, Travel To Get The Paint Someone To Paint It, Then The Marks Was Just On One Sofa ( A Burn Mark) And Had To Pay For Travel To Pick Sofa, She Had To Pay For 2 Sofas As Couldnt Get One The Same And The Landlord Said They Had To Match, Then She Had To Pay For It To Get Delivered And For Someone To Take Away The Other Sofas. So A Lot. I Think It Just Depends What Your Landlord Is Like.

Banned

in poundland they do a pet stain and odour remover

i found it great for making stains fainter or removed them completely
    and it made the house smell nice too

Original Poster

My daughter spilled something on floor and it was red - on a beige carpet!!! Stain almost out (just see it a bit) Will properly clean when I move. Good point Butterflies, you wouldnt expect it to be in good condition 3 years later when it was already in a bad state. We have decorated (the landlord paid) although the walls in bedrooms stained (with mould) But not worried about that. My landlord lazy and letting agent always having to chase him for repairs...

Banned

you should have had a breakdown of any damages/stains etc when you moved in, anything apart from those probably should be cleaned, a stain is not wear and tear

Original Poster

hankmarvin4;4551314

you should have had a breakdown of any damages/stains etc when you moved … you should have had a breakdown of any damages/stains etc when you moved in, anything apart from those probably should be cleaned, a stain is not wear and tear

yes i have an inventory...but its very vague!!! Stain not that bad now (been scrubbing it a lot)

Banned

bargainhunter2009;4551354

yes i have an inventory...but its very vague!!! Stain not that bad now … yes i have an inventory...but its very vague!!! Stain not that bad now (been scrubbing it a lot)

Mine was too. When I moved out of rented, I cleaned the carpets and got a cleaner in to do everything else. The landlord felt the carpets were not cleaned by a prof (cheeky as they were cleaner than when we moved in) - but they only took £50 off of our deposit which was very reasonable.

Original Poster

hankmarvin4;4551406

Mine was too. When I moved out of rented, I cleaned the carpets and got a … Mine was too. When I moved out of rented, I cleaned the carpets and got a cleaner in to do everything else. The landlord felt the carpets were not cleaned by a prof (cheeky as they were cleaner than when we moved in) - but they only took £50 off of our deposit which was very reasonable.

Oh that wasnt bad then. Im thinking maybe I should stay...although I hate it here, but cant afford to lose money on deposit

im sure that theres a law now regarding landlords and deposits, due to landlords keeping the deposits when tennants moved out. try citezens advice or ask the local council. if its an agency you should be well covered.

Banned

bargainhunter2009;4551435

Oh that wasnt bad then. Im thinking maybe I should stay...although I hate … Oh that wasnt bad then. Im thinking maybe I should stay...although I hate it here, but cant afford to lose money on deposit

Just clean as much as you can, be prepared to loose 10%

Original Poster

Thanks Hank...parents paid the deposit, so it would be there money I lose. I already have to pay a check out fee of £50 or £80 to renew it...god I hate renting privately

Original Poster

leecroot;4551488

im sure that theres a law now regarding landlords and deposits, due to … im sure that theres a law now regarding landlords and deposits, due to landlords keeping the deposits when tennants moved out. try citezens advice or ask the local council. if its an agency you should be well covered.

Thanks...I like your avy, what dog is that? Is it a cavalier king charles?

bargainhunter2009;4551525

Thanks...I like your avy, what dog is that? Is it a cavalier king charles?

yes thats my dog, best of luck wilth getting youre deposit back/

Original Poster

leecroot;4555192

yes thats my dog, best of luck wilth getting youre deposit back/

Thanks. Oh bless hes very cute....my parents have one just like him:thumbsup:

Maybe you'l be lucky and get a landlord like mine..who didnt even do an inspection before returning my deposit when i moved out

Original Poster

I think its the letting agent who do the inspection....which is what worries me (as technically they work for him not me).

hi have you thought of hiring a rug doctor to clean up the carpets before you go?

they are in our local morrisons ... do a brilliant job.

you need to clean and freshen up as well as you can..

hope your move goes smoothly xx
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Three connection89
      2. connect tablet26
      3. cheapest way to Get from BRIDLINGTON TO ACCRINGTON ??11
      4. Question for electrician on bathroom fan44

See more discussions