Groups

renting a car abroad

is there anything I should watch out for when renting a car abroad. especially when it's cheap. don't want to get stung anyway with a massive excess or anything.

12 Comments

Last year I rented from Hertz in France via their U.K. Website. I booked and paid extra for an exact model which was 'guaranteed to be the exact car shown' I wanted this specifically as there were 4 of us with quite a bit of luggage and we knew we'd fit it in.
    When I collected the car, they fobbed me off with a smaller and different car. They weren't interested when I pointed this out showed them my booking info with the guaranteed model, they even lied to me that it was the same class of car when their own info at the desk clearly showed it was 2 classes lower. I had no choice but to take it as they weren't budging and said all I could do was cancel. I complained via twitter, email and phone upon my return home and was just ignored by their abysmal customer services. Only when I threatened to take them to court as the goods weren't 'as described' did they bother to reply to me. They only gave me £40 back but I just gave up in the end and treated it as a lesson learnt and won't be using Hertz ever again and don't recommend them to anyone.

Also, get yourself your own insurance policy for car hire excess before you go and don't fall for the hire company's attempts to sell you their own expensive excess waiver insurance polices at the desk. Just go on moneysavingexpert and read the artice on car hire on there as it tells you what to do.
    moneysavingexpert.com/tra…ire

The fuel policy you should be aware of to. Read the small print as some charge you to refill the tank. I always go for full to full.

If collecting the car from the airport, make sure you check the airport opening times for the return. We rented a car in Germany previously which resulted in a lost deposit after we were required to post keys through a letterbox in an area that had no signage for the rental company (Enterprise).
    Edited by: "Pr3cious18" 14th Jan

I also used hertz once
    never again carp

where are you going?

Differs from one count to another, so until you say where you are going to any advice is useless

I hired one in spain last year through hertz prepaid for fuel and then when I collected the car they charged me again. would not accept that I had all ready paid for it dispite it showing on the booking form.
    Edited by: "andrewlaw9" 14th Jan

also make sure they mark any existing damage on the paperwork as they tried to tell me it did not matter I took photos and marked it on sheet before I left.

I have rented with different companies in Italy, Austria and Spain. All the existing tips are spot-on.

For Spain though, not all companies provide Unlimited Milage and most offer 200KM allowance per day so make sure you check that.

For the damages, take pictures or make a video. Also, always go for Full-To-Full policy and keep a receipt of your last fuel top-up as a proof, just in case they want to see it.

leyloleylo

Also, get yourself your own insurance policy for car hire excess before … Also, get yourself your own insurance policy for car hire excess before you go and don't fall for the hire company's attempts to sell you their own expensive excess waiver insurance polices at the desk. Just go on moneysavingexpert and read the artice on car hire on there as it tells you what to do. http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire#insurancetrick

Good in theory , until they impose a £1200 hold on your credit card , then charge you an admin fee , and if any damage you have to pay then claim via your insurance ,2 months later you might have your money back minus any excess.
    Edited by: "plodging" 15th Jan

Yes they do place the hold on your card and then you have to claim it back if you do have to claim but still worth it in my view compared to the shocking costs that the car hire companies want for their own policies
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?33
      2. Nike Apple Watch 42mm23
      3. Help choosing an Android box please.55
      4. Virgin Media - what is a good price?11

See more discussions