Renting a car on a new driving license.

Found 13th Jun 2012
I was wondering if anyone has information or experience in hiring cars on a new driving license? I recently cleared my driving practical test, I'm looking to hire a car for weekend trips. But most car hire companies will rent out cars only to people above 21 years of age and who have a full driving license for 12 months or more. I'm 33 years old and have been in this country for a few years. I don’t have an international driving license but have a full license from my home country. I was driving in my home country for the past 12 years.

Are there any companies out there which are flexible and hire out cars to new drivers like myself? or does anyone know any alternatives to this?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Community Updates
MiscCar
21 Comments
I'm not 100% sure about this, would have to check with the DVLA, but as far as I knew, you could only drive here on a foreign license for a year or so before you had to exchange it for a UK one?
Have you looked into this as you may not be legally driving on you current one! oO
Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 13th Jun 2012
The OP does have a full UK Driving Licence.

Inactive

I'm 33 years old and have been in this country for a few years. I don’t h … I'm 33 years old and have been in this country for a few years. I don’t have an international driving license but have a full license from my home country. I was driving in my home country for the past 12 years.

Led me to believe it wasn't a UK license (_;)
Inactive

I'm 33 years old and have been in this country for a few years. I don’t h … I'm 33 years old and have been in this country for a few years. I don’t have an international driving license but have a full license from my home country. I was driving in my home country for the past 12 years.

Its quite clear when you read the full op
" I recently cleared my driving practical test "...(_;)

Oh and BTW, it is licence with 2 c's, not license with an s..
Original Poster
@chuckiedoll : sorry about the miscommunication. I have not been driving on my own in UK. All I have done so far is take those driving lessons and then the test. I mentioned driving in my home country because maybe some hire cos may consider it.
My apologies all! oO
Was just trying to help Op!
I suspect that most hire companies would not look favourably on any foreign driving experience, depending on the country of course.

Obviously it was non EU driving.
Could op not just exchange foreign licence at DVLA office for a UK one?? If they hold a full ....... licence?
chuckiedoll

Could op not just exchange foreign licence at DVLA office for a UK one?? … Could op not just exchange foreign licence at DVLA office for a UK one?? If they hold a full ....... licence?

Only EU licences and a few others are exchangeable.

Hence why he/she took a UK Driving Test.
Inactive

Only EU licences and a few others are exchangeable.Hence why he/she took … Only EU licences and a few others are exchangeable.Hence why he/she took a UK Driving Test.

Ah ok, only say this because I know of South African driving licences being swapped for UK ones and they take it from when you got it in your home country.
Is your home licence still valid? Can you not hire a car on that just like you would if you came over on holiday?
deviouspaul

Is your home licence still valid? Can you not hire a car on that just … Is your home licence still valid? Can you not hire a car on that just like you would if you came over on holiday?

Obviously not, otherwise the OP would have not bothered to take a UK Driving Test.

A non exchangeable licence only has a limited validity here.
Original Poster
No, I cannot just exchange my licence for a UK one so I had to do my driving test here. I'm from a non-EU nation. Not from SA either. SA guys have it so easy!
It's more than a year since I have been here so I cannot drive on my home licence either.
OP, if you live in the UK and want to do a few weekend trips, I'd consider buying a cheap secondhand car rather than renting.
Original Poster
sickly sweet

This seems similar: … This seems similar: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3072876

Thanks for the link. I will call up Enterprise later in the day.
Original Poster
sickly sweet

This seems similar: … This seems similar: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3072876

Thanks for the link. I will call up Enterprise later in the day.

sickly sweet

OP, if you live in the UK and want to do a few weekend trips, I'd … OP, if you live in the UK and want to do a few weekend trips, I'd consider buying a cheap secondhand car rather than renting.

I looked into this, I cannot afford it at the moment. The insurance is a killer for new drivers. And here too insurance is a bit easier if one has a driving licence more than 1 year old.
sickly sweet

sickly sweet

OP, if you live in the UK and want to do a few weekend trips, I'd … OP, if you live in the UK and want to do a few weekend trips, I'd consider buying a cheap secondhand car rather than renting.

I don't know if you know about this, but if you buy this train railcard you can get 1/3 off train tickets in London and the South on off peak trains. If you can't get a rental car and are in the area the railcard is valid for it's definitely worth getting
railcard.co.uk/net…ork
Original Poster
I already have one thanks to HUKD and the Daily Mail offers. For the past few years I have completely depended on public transport for sightseeing but I realized that it is not reliable especially on bank holidays. There is lot of time lost waiting for buses and trains. More difficult when you have kids. So I think having a car is very essential in this country, I'm slowly working towards that starting with these weekend rents.
chuckiedoll

I'm not 100% sure about this, would have to check with the DVLA, but as … I'm not 100% sure about this, would have to check with the DVLA, but as far as I knew, you could only drive here on a foreign license for a year or so before you had to exchange it for a UK one?Have you looked into this as you may not be legally driving on you current one! oO

An international driving licence is only valid for 12 months from entering the UK or when you first receive your provisional driving licence, whichever is the sooner. That being the case, the international driving licence, although may have a valid expiry date, is no longer valid and must not be used as the hire car insurance will not cover an invalid international licence, nor a full UK licence that is not 12 months old.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants