Groups

Renting a property...

...is it ok to give the landlord a list of things which need fixing before I move in? I have mentioned two things I want done before, but there a few more like a hole in the kitchen worktop. Should I mention this too? I want it fixed and a few other bits, but dont want to push my luck. Thanks.

17 Comments

Yes that is what you do ,they should be done before you move in.

I have told my current landlord exactly what the problems are but he has done nothing in 9 months.. one of the reasons i'm moving out

Original Poster

Thanks, thats what I thought. Just worried he may not proceed with the tenancy. Am going to the letting agent tomorrow to hand in all forms etc, will give them a list then of what I want doing. The other things I have asked to do he has agreed to. Its mainly the worktop in the kitchen I want fixing.

If it's important tell him. If not, he'll see you as a complainer that is going to be not worth the hassle.

I had one woman wanting the most idiotic things fixed last week, suffice to say, she didn't get the tenancy.

I'm glad you found a new place I remember reading about your dilemma a week or so ago

When are you due to move in if it all goes to plan?

Original Poster

Thanks everyone...so you think its ok to ask for the hole in the worktop to be fixed? I dont want to sacrifice getting the tenancy, but dont want a hole in the worktop either! I meant to mention it, but didnt want to push my luck! I have only asked for the window locks to be fixed (as they are all loose) and also for the shed to be cleared out.

Original Poster

thesaint;5657877

If it's important tell him. If not, he'll see you as a complainer that … If it's important tell him. If not, he'll see you as a complainer that is going to be not worth the hassle.I had one woman wanting the most idiotic things fixed last week, suffice to say, she didn't get the tenancy.

Thanks The Saint, what was she asking for? I want the worktop fixed, its not very hygenic to have a hole in it. (its in the midddle of it) Do you think thats ok to ask for?

Maybe you could cover the hole in the worktop with a chopping board or is it in an awkward position?

Original Poster

rwm24;5658385

Maybe you could cover the hole in the worktop with a chopping board or is … Maybe you could cover the hole in the worktop with a chopping board or is it in an awkward position?

yeh its right in the middle of the worktop. Its quite a small kitchen as well, so need all the worktop space I can get. Fingers crossed, should be moving in, in about 2 weeks

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;5658403

You have to ask, it's the worst thing about renting private, really bugs … You have to ask, it's the worst thing about renting private, really bugs me, you're paying them rent, part of that rent is their responsibility to house you in a home that is suitable to live in. really narks me, I have to say I shy away from asking for things to be done, I usually do them myself, but seriously, it's the landlords duty to do it.!!!If the place is that bad, then go for it, I know the first place I got was advertised as part-furnished, when I actually got to view it, after weeks of being kept on hold, I got the viewing and the furniture was dumped on the back garden,(didn't comply with fire safety regs !!) I got a rent reduction because of that, I insisted on it!!! be bold my friend, and good luck, and I really hope you settle in your new place for a long time yet:thumbsup:It sucks renting private, but I've been lucky enough to have good landlords who let me treat the place as my own, very understanding, they leave me to it, as long as the rent is paid, which it always is, they're fine:thumbsup:

Thanks so much for the advice. My current landlord is not very good, he does nothing. The new landlord seems good, accepted £25 less than the asking rental price and has said yes to the other repairs. Apparently the letting agent said he has quite few properties and that he wants tenants to stay a long time, which is what I want. I think I will ask, he can only say no. I mean there are more things, like the shed door needs fixing but my parents will do that for me.

yes hon and keep a copy for your records, preferably signed by both of you

will save on agro when you leave x

Original Poster

Thank you Star Sparkle and Clarity of Mind. I will just say I forgot to mention it yesterday (today) as the letting agent was rushing off as she was late. Its only one more thing, just dont want to take the mickey

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;5658829

You're not taking the mickey, you are paying them, remember? Focus on … You're not taking the mickey, you are paying them, remember? Focus on that:thumbsup: They need/want your money, if you bought something from a shop that wasn't up to scratch, you'd return it yeh? Same thing goes renting a house, good luck:thumbsup:

Thanks! Just lost out on 2 places already to other people and I dont want to lose this place!

starsparkle2311;5658549

Yeh, my current landlord was like that, 5 other people viewed the house … Yeh, my current landlord was like that, 5 other people viewed the house before me, I cinched the deal on wanting a never ending tenancy, ie my names on the council waiting list, only then will I move out!!! 6 years and still waiting,lolBeen in this place for 3 years now:thumbsup:I get a Xmas card from them, that's it, rest of the year, left alone, it's pretty much my own house

That sounds ideal xx

bargainhunter2009;5658364

Thanks The Saint, what was she asking for?

The house she had viewed had been refurbished top to bottom. New carpets, laminate, decorated top to bottom, new oven and hob etc etc.
    One of the kitchen cupboard doors needed adjusting. The cupboard under the sink was "unhygenic" because it needed wiping out...I forget the other 2 things.

It was a 3 bed semi with a huge front and back garden that housing benefit would be paying for for her that had just had 6k spent on it.

There was no way that she was having it, my phone would have been ringing constantly asking for inane repairs.

bargainhunter2009;5658364

I want the worktop fixed, its not very hygenic to have a hole in it. … I want the worktop fixed, its not very hygenic to have a hole in it. (its in the midddle of it) Do you think thats ok to ask for?

I don't think that you can repair a worktop, so it's a new one that would be needed. If it is the one that has the sink in it, it's a major job to replace.

If it's important, then you need to get it in writing before you take possession. Whether he'll except or not depends on a lot of factors.

With every house i stayed in as a student, we (the tenants) wrote down a list of all the things that were wrong - scratches on walls, warn/stained carpets, broken cupboard doors etc etc and then got it dated and signed. It doesn't necessarily get things fixed, but it does stop you losing your deposit for things that weren't your fault!

morris7;5659350

With every house i stayed in as a student, we (the tenants) wrote down a … With every house i stayed in as a student, we (the tenants) wrote down a list of all the things that were wrong - scratches on walls, warn/stained carpets, broken cupboard doors etc etc and then got it dated and signed. It doesn't necessarily get things fixed, but it does stop you losing your deposit for things that weren't your fault!

precisely :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Try buy that Minecraft Xbone Argos deal? 10% online code in your email!88
      2. Nectar launch eGift card redemption for selected brands including Currys, A…44
      3. Spotify Family Premium share59
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767221

See more discussions