Renting a property - can I haggle?

12 replies
Found 29th May 2009
I am renting privately, question is can I haggle with them over the price? I dont want to sound dumb, but I will be on some housing benefit and they limit what you can have so been looking at properties which are a bit over the amount they allow.
Thanks

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
12 Comments

I would if I was you...Slow housing market not enough renting...Its your chance to get something back and if they say no you have tried...Just don't be greedy Good Luck

Original Poster

gr8h8me;5352317

I would if I was you...Slow housing market not enough renting...Its your … I would if I was you...Slow housing market not enough renting...Its your chance to get something back and if they say no you have tried...Just don't be greedy Good Luck

Thanks, I only wanted to knock £10 or £15 off the price. So hopefully they would be agreeable to that

I would !

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;5352393

yes you can haggle, why not?I did once, got £50 a month knocked off, not … yes you can haggle, why not?I did once, got £50 a month knocked off, not much, but better than nowt:thumbsup:

I just never really thought you could! Especially as on HB. It only dawned on me today that maybe I could haggle!:thumbsup:

Mate most landlords offering private accomadation wont accept housing benefit as payment. So check with the landlord that they do.

Original Poster

bailey2k4;5352516

Mate most landlords offering private accomadation wont accept housing … Mate most landlords offering private accomadation wont accept housing benefit as payment. So check with the landlord that they do.

Thanks. Yeh I know that most wont accept HB!! I have found a few that do! Its a nightmare! I have just finished my law degree and am looking for work - but as a single parent as well its not easy!

Always haggle, I haggled my rent down from £795 a month to £775.

bargainhunter2009;5352540

Thanks. Yeh I know that most wont accept HB!! I have found a few that do! … Thanks. Yeh I know that most wont accept HB!! I have found a few that do! Its a nightmare! I have just finished my law degree and am looking for work - but as a single parent as well its not easy!

I appreciate it isnt easy. You have been lucky to find somewhee that does accept HB.You have a good qualification now so I hope it all works out for you soon.

Original Poster

bailey2k4;5352628

I appreciate it isnt easy. You have been lucky to find somewhee that does … I appreciate it isnt easy. You have been lucky to find somewhee that does accept HB.You have a good qualification now so I hope it all works out for you soon.

Thank you. I think more agencies/landlords now accepting HB moerso than a few years ago when I was looking before. However, most still dont. Got another viewing tomorro...it has to be said that the places I have looked at have been rubbish!!!

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, rep to you all!!!! I have another viewing tomorro - hope its nice and if so I will haggle!

bargainhunter2009;5352347

Thanks, I only wanted to knock £10 or £15 off the price. So hopefully t … Thanks, I only wanted to knock £10 or £15 off the price. So hopefully they would be agreeable to that

I knocked £ 75 a month off mine - go for it - they can only say no or haggle themselves to get you to go higher

Its definitely worth a try especially if a property has been advertised for a while. However, because it is more difficult for people to get a mortgage now, more and more people are renting instead of buying.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition56552
    2. Free money and competition entry @ Circle67
    3. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)45
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…22

See more discussions