Groups

Renting in London estate agent misled regarding parking

Guys

I am renting in London. When we viewed the property , specifically asked regarding allocated parking. We were told yes there's a space for one car.

Two weeks into tenancy we have found out it is not it's first come first serve.

Failing which you have to drive around to find a space which could be street s away

Estate agent acknowledge that have messed it up.

What are my rights, I do not want to move out , having just moved in with family.

any advice how to go about.

thanks

13 Comments

Was any part of your communication with the agent over email, whatsapp or text?

If not then it would be really tough to get anything out of the agents.

Also when you asked and were told that there is an allocated space, did you not inquire exactly what the spot is? Did the agent not show you the spot? Was there anything on the spot such as a flat number or house number that 'reserves' the parking for your property?

Original Poster

it was written in the contract and also acknowledged by the agent over the last few days.

it's a large period conversion property with 6 flats built and a large courtyard , which is used for parking

Are there 6 parking spaces? One for each flat. Is the allocation one space per flat? If so then check out if any of your neighbours are using two spaces or, alternatively, non residents could be parking there.
    I have the same setup in outer London and you wouldn't believe the cheek of people. Often strange cars in the parking area at the rear of the house.

I put a note with the current tenants licence plate number in the hall and tell them to let me know if there are any strange cars there. A note telling them they will be clamped does the trick. Until the next chancer tries his luck.

Original Poster

there are 4 spaces in total, not everyone has car in the block.

there is a guys who spends a lot of time overseas and is not around at the moment

is it worthwhile haggling on rental reduction by 10 %

You might get a rent reduction... you might also get Section 21 notice at the end of you term too so if you want to stay long term it may not be the best option!

Original Poster

our intention is to leave by the end of contract which is 12 months or use break clause and leave at 8 months

what do you guys suggest

If there are only 4 spaces for 6 flats then it is not possible for every flat to have an allocated parking space and you have been misled. It could be that the parking is only allocated to 4 flats with two flats not having a space. I would suggest that you ask the agent to come and clarify the position and put up flat numbers on each space if that is the case.

You could argue that you have been decieved and not getting what you contracted for. Unfortunately, especially as you are in London, I don't think you will get very far with the agent. Maybe you should start looking for somewhere else. The next time you will know to get it in writing.

Depending where you are, a parking space can cost thousands of pounds per year. I saw a single parking space sold at auction in Kensington a few years ago for £70,000.

Def need a rent reduction - assuming the rent is in line with other properties advertised as with a parking space.

Don't hold your breath waiting for the agent to agree a reduction. The most he will probably offer you, if you annoy him enough, is to let you leave the flat before your contract is up.

You haven't been there long so I suggest you start making a note of the car's registrations and see if you can identify which car belongs to which flat so you can confirm they are residents. Then speak to the other tenants and see how they feel. Maybe they are as annoyed as you but put up with it because everything else about the tenancy suits them. If all 6 have been told they have an allocated space when there are only 4 spaces then you have been deceived. The only leverage this will give you, possibly, is to be allowed to leave early. You either knock yourself out about this or accept it, leave in 8 months and learn from it. Sorry 😞

Edited by: "r4rcm" 6th Jul

r4rcm1 h, 13 m ago

Don't hold your breath waiting for the agent to agree a reduction. The …Don't hold your breath waiting for the agent to agree a reduction. The most he will probably offer you, if you annoy him enough, is to let you leave the flat before your contract is up.You haven't been there long so I suggest you start making a note of the car's registrations and see if you can identify which car belongs to which flat so you can confirm they are residents. Then speak to the other tenants and see how they feel. Maybe they are as annoyed as you but put up with it because everything else about the tenancy suits them. If all 6 have been told they have an allocated space when there are only 4 spaces then you have been deceived. The only leverage this will give you, possibly, is to be allowed to leave early. You either knock yourself out about this or accept it, leave in 8 months and learn from it. Sorry 😞

this. the agent will have no power to reduce the rent, they will have to ask the landlord. depending on how desperate the landlord is to rent the place, he may give you a reduction for the inconvenience or he may let you leave early. but certainly try to get a reduction, no harm in asking.

don't tell him you are thinking of moving out at the end of the contract or using the break clause as he is then less likely to be generous

Original Poster

good advice I am going to ask for rent reduction and retention

let us what they can do

rambobambo5 h, 2 m ago

good advice I am going to ask for rent reduction and retention let us …good advice I am going to ask for rent reduction and retention let us what they can do

technically speaking you could take the landlord to court and force a rent reduction from him for the remaining length of the contract (until the break clause) but this is subjective to the judge's opinion and his decision on how much reduction equates to the loss of private parking space that was stated on the contract and you have to put up with first come first serve basis.

what you could do is wait for his response then if he refuse to give you a rent reduction, politely infer this approach, even though you may not take him to court. the idea that you could may get him to do something to keep you happy

it is probably not his fault, but the estate agent, who are pretty useless in my experience as a landlord. he will have to sue the agent in turn to get his loss of rent. poor bloke, he aint gonna like that. i would not want to be in his position

Or you could stop knocking yourself out about this and leave in 8 months!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game74044563
      2. 3x Now TV Sky Sports Day Passes to Giveaway1817
      3. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?33
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767410

See more discussions