Repaint glossy skirting boards:

Posted 18th Dec 2019
So i would like to repaint my bedroom skirting boards which are currently glossy but I’d like them to be semi glossy/mostly matte so like satinwood? (I would prefer it to be completely matte but don’t want them getting scuffed easily). I’m aqare i need to sand them down but do i need to lightly sand with my hands or will i need an electric sander? The circumference is around 14m. Will i need to undercoat or prime it? Or can i apply the satinpaint directly after sanding. Also what paints will be the best for this job? (I dont want any paint turning yellow soon either)
Community Updates
Ask
26 Comments
Depends how good a job you want? We sanded, by hand, then washed down with sugar soap solution. Used two layers of the same paint, the first one diluted with a 10%(approx) pva glue. Allow to dry between coats.
Maybe not strictly a professional method , but it works well.
Sand them down then buy some 1 coat satin wood
(former decorator) Light sand down, and if the skirting has No Obvious blemishes that need converting then 1-2 coats of satinwood will do.

Dont skimp on brushes, a good brush will do a better job.

Get water based for quick drying and no strong fumes.

Oil based will Last longer and be tougher but smells and can make you nauseous
Edited by: "moneybanks14" 19th Dec 2019
moneybanks1419/12/2019 00:34

(former decorator) Light sand down, and if the skirting has No Obvious …(former decorator) Light sand down, and if the skirting has No Obvious blemishes that need converting then 1-2 coats of satinwood will do.Dont skimp on brushes, a good brush will do a better job. Get water based for quick drying and no strong fumes.Oil based will Last longer and be tougher but smells and can make you nauseous

You don't use water based on skirting boards. They won't last 5 minutes. The benefit of massively increased durability at the cost of a few hours of paint smell is a no-brainer.
deeky19/12/2019 01:01

You don't use water based on skirting boards. They won't last 5 minutes. …You don't use water based on skirting boards. They won't last 5 minutes. The benefit of massively increased durability at the cost of a few hours of paint smell is a no-brainer.

Your wrong, acrylic and water based satinwood are made for wood, my family runs a decorating business, im a former tradesman myself up Until the death of my father.

Some people cannot do with the fumes, especially with kids or can be highly sensitive to them such as myself and cause massive headaches also vrought on by nail polish also.

Like i said, oil based will last longer but some people like the quick drying times of water based product.
moneybanks1419/12/2019 01:13

Your wrong, acrylic and water based satinwood are made for wood, my family …Your wrong, acrylic and water based satinwood are made for wood, my family runs a decorating business, im a former tradesman myself up Until the death of my father.Some people cannot do with the fumes, especially with kids or can be highly sensitive to them such as myself and cause massive headaches also vrought on by nail polish also.Like i said, oil based will last longer but some people like the quick drying times of water based product.

Wrong how? Are you taking my 5 minutes comment literally? I've been decorating for 40 years mate. I know about oil based vs water based. You say yourself that oil based will last longer. It will last a LOT longer.
deeky19/12/2019 01:17

Wrong how? Are you taking my 5 minutes comment literally? I've been …Wrong how? Are you taking my 5 minutes comment literally? I've been decorating for 40 years mate. I know about oil based vs water based. You say yourself that oil based will last longer. It will last a LOT longer.

I think with it being late ive misread your "you dont use water based" with "you cant"
Edited by: "moneybanks14" 19th Dec 2019
oil based eggshell.
Oil based goes yellow quicker

You don't use water based on skirting boards. They won't last 5 minutes. …You don't use water based on skirting boards. They won't last 5 minutes. The benefit of massively increased durability at the cost of a few hours of paint smell is a no-brainer.

I agree - use an oil based paint. No pain...no gain.
moneybanks1419/12/2019 00:34

(former decorator) Light sand down, and if the skirting has No Obvious …(former decorator) Light sand down, and if the skirting has No Obvious blemishes that need converting then 1-2 coats of satinwood will do.Dont skimp on brushes, a good brush will do a better job. Get water based for quick drying and no strong fumes.Oil based will Last longer and be tougher but smells and can make you nauseous

Would u recommend Johnstone’s Quick Dry Satin Paint 2.5 Litre - White?
deeky19/12/2019 01:17

Wrong how? Are you taking my 5 minutes comment literally? I've been …Wrong how? Are you taking my 5 minutes comment literally? I've been decorating for 40 years mate. I know about oil based vs water based. You say yourself that oil based will last longer. It will last a LOT longer.

I would rather use an oil base but at the same time i hate that it becomes yellow.
Nilufar1234519/12/2019 10:07

I would rather use an oil base but at the same time i hate that it becomes …I would rather use an oil base but at the same time i hate that it becomes yellow.

Good quality paint won't go yellow for years. It will certainly stay white for much longer than water based paint will even stay on the skirting.
deeky19/12/2019 10:11

Good quality paint won't go yellow for years. It will certainly stay white …Good quality paint won't go yellow for years. It will certainly stay white for much longer than water based paint will even stay on the skirting.

Which paint would you recommend?
Nilufar1234519/12/2019 10:12

Which paint would you recommend?

I have always used Johnstone's paints and have always been happy with the results.
deeky19/12/2019 10:20

I have always used Johnstone's paints and have always been happy with the …I have always used Johnstone's paints and have always been happy with the results.

Cant really find a 750ml johnstones tub nearby me. Do u know if Leylands any good?
Nilufar1234519/12/2019 10:30

Cant really find a 750ml johnstones tub nearby me. Do u know if Leylands …Cant really find a 750ml johnstones tub nearby me. Do u know if Leylands any good?

Sorry, I can't say, I've never used it.
deeky19/12/2019 10:31

Sorry, I can't say, I've never used it.

No problem. Thanks for the help
An eggshell is flatter than satinwood.
I'd personally use an acrylic eggshell (waterbased) as it's hard wearing and wipeable.
Leyland acrylic eggshell would do I have it on my kitchen/bathroom walls+ceiling and all my wood. 2 coats.
Personally hate anything oilbased in white as a finish as it yellows too quick for my liking.

Rub down the wood, apply either an oil based undercoat if wood is very dirty/greasy, if not a waterbased primer or matt emulsion, 2 coats acrylic eggshell, fin.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 19th Dec 2019
Nilufar1234519/12/2019 10:30

Cant really find a 750ml johnstones tub nearby me. Do u know if Leylands …Cant really find a 750ml johnstones tub nearby me. Do u know if Leylands any good?

How about this.... argos.co.uk/pro…511

Leyland and Johnstones both made by same company in same factory - I'd expect them to be very similar. Traditionally Johnstones is the higher quality, Leyland is/was more trade based but i'd expect for white gloss/satin the formulations for each brand will be very similar.

I'm another one voting for water based products - they are the future and most companies and resin manufcaturers have greatly improved their products over the past 10 years or so. Water based products used to be inferior for endurance but that has changed - add the benefits of quick drying and non yellowing then they're hard to beat.
Edited by: "Van1973" 19th Dec 2019
Van197319/12/2019 11:42

How about this.... https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4179511Leyland and …How about this.... https://www.argos.co.uk/product/4179511Leyland and Johnstones both made by same company in same factory - I'd expect them to be very similar. Traditionally Johnstones is the higher quality, Leyland is/was more trade based but i'd expect for white gloss/satin the formulations for each brand will be very similar.I'm another one voting for water based products - they are the future and most companies and resin manufcaturers have greatly improved their products over the past 10 years or so. Water based products used to be inferior for endurance but that has changed - add the benefits of quick drying and non yellowing then they're hard to beat.

Ive never painted before so wouldnt a water based paint job be really hard in comparison to an oil based, i dont want streaks either :/ im in two minds
Nilufar1234519/12/2019 11:46

Ive never painted before so wouldnt a water based paint job be really hard …Ive never painted before so wouldnt a water based paint job be really hard in comparison to an oil based, i dont want streaks either :/ im in two minds

Not really too much difference between the two. I find water based always needs two coats - can sometimes get away with one with oil based. What is easier with water based products is the removal of any splashes or over painting and also the clean up - just use water!

This channel on youtube has some excellent advice - I've been DIY decorating for over 30 years but have learnt so much from these two brothers - youtube.com/cha…eos

I'm sorry I disagree I used water based on all my skirtings and door frames in all my properties still great as they was from day one also if you use oil based products the white always yellows where as water based doesn't
cliosport6519/12/2019 21:17

I'm sorry I disagree I used water based on all my skirtings and door …I'm sorry I disagree I used water based on all my skirtings and door frames in all my properties still great as they was from day one also if you use oil based products the white always yellows where as water based doesn't

Wish I could state the same for mine. Used water based gloss on my stairs and it flakes off far too easily. No where near as durable as oil based.
.MUFC.19/12/2019 23:32

Wish I could state the same for mine. Used water based gloss on my stairs …Wish I could state the same for mine. Used water based gloss on my stairs and it flakes off far too easily. No where near as durable as oil based.

That said though I did use an oil based undercoat then water based top coat, worked at treat
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions