Repairing PSVR?

Posted 25th Apr
I accidentally ran over the wire coming out of the PSVR headset with the hoover. Does anyone know if this is possible to repair? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Have you a pic? Usually simple with a soldering iron and solder and a bit of heat shrink tubing. Always remember my dad cutting the carpet in bedroom and slicing through burglar alarm wires to one of the sensors...mayhem! I fixed that same way...
philajones25/04/2020 16:25

Have you a pic? Usually simple with a soldering iron and solder and a bit …Have you a pic? Usually simple with a soldering iron and solder and a bit of heat shrink tubing. Always remember my dad cutting the carpet in bedroom and slicing through burglar alarm wires to one of the sensors...mayhem! I fixed that same way...

Thanks for the reply. The wire is pretty much cut all of the way through and there are lots of wires inside. I'll take a picture
philajones25/04/2020 16:25

Have you a pic? Usually simple with a soldering iron and solder and a bit …Have you a pic? Usually simple with a soldering iron and solder and a bit of heat shrink tubing. Always remember my dad cutting the carpet in bedroom and slicing through burglar alarm wires to one of the sensors...mayhem! I fixed that same way...

40536402-Q0042.jpg
From experience, nothing is beyond fixing normally (if it hasn't caused drastic damage to SMD electronics), it's a throw away society.
Where is the other bit of cable? Is it sliced purely on cable?
Or is that where it's bit through? and cable is intact and not slice in half?
Both ends are still intact, barely. I'd say there must be 15 little wires inside
This question gets asked quite often on the Reddit PSVR sub, the consensus is that it usually isn't possible to fix it by soldering due to the amount of small wires inside, it's a case of sending it to Sony for them to replace the cable/get a replacement unit.
Most things can be fixed - it comes down to cost. Is your time worth the effort involved, is it worth paying someone else to fix it? You could buy a faulty headset (screen damaged) and hope that the cable is working and just swap over? Or what most people seem to do is sell it as damaged on Ebay and buy a new one...
It's not impossible to repair, it's just time consuming. The good news the skills can be easy to acquire and the tools are very cheap (you could easily get change out of a tenner for the parts needed).There is a Youtube video I saw recently (My Mate Vince I'm pretty sure) where a similar fault was remedied by swapping out the cable - too much effort...
The simple answer is no you can't fix the cable on a VR headset. The cable has been designed to be as small and light as possible so it's impossible to make an effective repair by anyone except a very skilled engineer.
in my opinion, with good quality flux, a couple of hours, using low temp solder with low temp soldering iron, I think it would be fairly easy. I would class myself as a hobbyist and fairly amateur electronics engineer (all self educated) and personally have repaired car ecu harnesses, smd electronics on pcbs and a fair amount more.

For the sake of around £25 for tools to carry out the job, I would personally give it a try. worse case scenario you can chop off the spray ends and do as Haircut_100 said and send to Sony.

Recommended tools... variable temp soldering iron, low temp solder, flux, heatshrink, a couple of clothes pegs to hold the cables together while soldering. Take your time with it, if you have any spare cable lying around with similar specs to those inside the psvr ones, do a couple of trial runs and build up confidence with them before attacking the real deal. Use some foil to separate the cables apart so the cable sleeve don't heat up and mold together. If you are not comfortable with the soldering, you could even use some Ferrell crimps to join them together. If it is solid core cable (similar to telephone cable) you could even use some rj45 junction boxes which you can simply push them into the crimps.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions