Groups

Repeat Perscription Problems

Has anybody had problems getting repeat perscriptions. My GPs surgery has a notice saying that it will take 48 hours to process a perscription request. Put in a perscription request last Thursday and still not got an essential drug which they did not put on the perscription. Waited almost an hour to see the GPs receptionist yesterday and spent 25 minutes waiting for GP surgery to answer the phone today. Then another 30 mins on phone whilst they checked if a new perscription was available. When you ask them a question they quote procedure back at you. But the procedures are not working.

I have emailed my hospital consultants secretary to see if that might get things moving quicker. Has anyone else had similar problems and if so how were they resolved.

39 Comments

My daughter takes a specific medication for a particular hormone that her body doesn't make by itself.

Without it, she can't function properly. This drug recently became unavailable in this country, due to some kind of licensing issue. We have to get it now from Europe where it is still available. Took about three months ( and with her not taking it ) of the chemists/doctors/health authority mucking around and trying to co-ordinate themselves to eventually get ahold of it. Makes you go "argghhhh" as a Mum concerned about ones child.

So sorry you're having this trouble hon.. you'd think they'd be more helpful and take into account when someone feels ill they are vulnerable and not necessarily up to fighting these kind of battles.

I hope you get it sorted out soon x x x

Our surgery is also 48 hours notice for repeat prescriptions. I do my husbands online and have never had a problem with any delays. We have sometimes forgotten to do it on time and he has run out of his medication but our local pharmacist gives him enough to tide him over until his prescription arrives.

rosie2008;4991260

Our surgery is also 48 hours notice for repeat prescriptions. I do my … Our surgery is also 48 hours notice for repeat prescriptions. I do my husbands online and have never had a problem with any delays. We have sometimes forgotten to do it on time and he has run out of his medication but our local pharmacist gives him enough to tide him over until his prescription arrives.

what a lovely pharmacist you have x x

Original Poster

They have a whole list of procedures that would make a person in the best of health sigh. But there have been occasions when I have had to take to my bed. If that should happen before I get my perscription I guess next step could be the hospital. That will most probably incur a greater charge for the health service than dealing with the problem and getting off their butts to ensure I have the drugs my consultant suggests

Aarrrgh

ClarityofMind;4991279

what a lovely pharmacist you have x x

I think if you use the same pharmacy and they know you regulary have to take the medication they are very understanding. TBH I think that any pharmicist can do this even if they dont know you if it is an emergency.All they have to do is phone your GP surgery to confirm:thumbsup:

I hope they get them for you soon hon, did u manage to speak to someone today?

I think they should do it urgently when its essential.

Banned

rosie2008;4991260

Our surgery is also 48 hours notice for repeat prescriptions. I do my … Our surgery is also 48 hours notice for repeat prescriptions. I do my husbands online and have never had a problem with any delays. We have sometimes forgotten to do it on time and he has run out of his medication but our local pharmacist gives him enough to tide him over until his prescription arrives.

wow.... this is illegal no matter how nice you think he is being?!?

he/she could be struck off for for prescribing prescription drugs without a prescription for this act of kindness and their license revoked, as crazy as it sounds

Original Poster

Last time I saw my consultant he said he wanted to change the main drug I was on. So started me on another and gave a supply from hospital pharmacy. But can only get for a month and not due to see him till next month barring emergencies. Dont think he told GP though. Now I am going to run out of a supply unless I can get past the robot speak and get someone to own the issue and help resolve it.

rosie2008;4991316

I think if you use the same pharmacy and they know you regulary have to … I think if you use the same pharmacy and they know you regulary have to take the medication they are very understanding. TBH I think that any pharmicist can do this even if they dont know you if it is an emergency.All they have to do is phone your GP surgery to confirm:thumbsup:

yes.... when the pharmacists within the chemist are not so fast a turnover that they can't hope to get to know people as sometimes happens in our area. I'm sure they seem to have a new locum every week!

Original Poster

casparwhite;4991339

wow.... this is illegal no matter how nice you think he is being?!?he/she … wow.... this is illegal no matter how nice you think he is being?!?he/she could be struck off for for prescribing prescription drugs without a prescription for this act of kindness and their license revoked, as crazy as it sounds

Dont let on who he is Rosie.

WoolyM;4991349

Last time I saw my consultant he said he wanted to change the main drug I … Last time I saw my consultant he said he wanted to change the main drug I was on. So started me on another and gave a supply from hospital pharmacy. But can only get for a month and not due to see him till next month barring emergencies. Dont think he told GP though. Now I am going to run out of a supply unless I can get past the robot speak and get someone to own the issue and help resolve it.

WoolyM;4991367

lol not a problem. TBH I have heard of quite a few people in different areas that have had this service in an emergency.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;4991337

I hope they get them for you soon hon, did u manage to speak to someone … I hope they get them for you soon hon, did u manage to speak to someone today? I think they should do it urgently when its essential.

After waiting for the phone to be answered for about 25 mins I was then spoke to one of the receptionists. Kept on the line for 30 mins. Then she said bring original cardboard box that the drug came in so they can see proof and she will show a doctor. Thing is there will be a delay of hours if not days if past experiences are anything to go by. I am going to run out as last day supply tomorrow. Can't get anyone to see it as urgent.

Maybe it isnt. If I am messed around in the morning I'm gonna email consultants secretary saying that I am being forced to stop a drug he has prescribed due to NHS procedures standing in the way

WoolyM;4991349

Last time I saw my consultant he said he wanted to change the main drug I … Last time I saw my consultant he said he wanted to change the main drug I was on. So started me on another and gave a supply from hospital pharmacy. But can only get for a month and not due to see him till next month barring emergencies. Dont think he told GP though. Now I am going to run out of a supply unless I can get past the robot speak and get someone to own the issue and help resolve it.

yes in this kind of circumstance ... contact the hospital consultants secretary and explain the problem.

When I've been on medication set by the hospital consultant, the GP hasn't always known about it. I went in to get the prescription on repeat from the GP, and the GP said, "but you don't take..." that particular drug and I had to explain the consultant at the hospital had put me on it. It wasn't on the GP's computer system but she did believe me and issue the prescription.

I was a gestational diabetic throughout my last two pregnancies and the Antenatal Consultant wrote me out a prescription for insulin, when the diabetes nurse showed me how to inject myself, she happened to mention that insulin "looked like water". When I went to get the prescription from the chemist.. I got it home and thought, that's strange, this looks cloudy, I wonder if there's something wrong with it.... I called the chemist back and she checked the prescription and she was like, "dont take that.. we'll send a taxi round to come pick it up and someone will personally bring the insulin to you. " It was a type of insulin drug with something else added to it.. thank God I never injected it into me and baby!

WoolyM;4991457

After waiting for the phone to be answered for about 25 mins I was then … After waiting for the phone to be answered for about 25 mins I was then spoke to one of the receptionists. Kept on the line for 30 mins. Then she said bring original cardboard box that the drug came in so they can see proof and she will show a doctor. Thing is there will be a delay of hours if not days if past experiences are anything to go by. I am going to run out as last day supply tomorrow. Can't get anyone to see it as urgent. Maybe it isnt. If I am messed around in the morning I'm gonna email consultants secretary saying that I am being forced to stop a drug he has prescribed due to NHS procedures standing in the way

When you take the box in stress to the secretary that you have none of the drug left to take and you need it to be dealt with urgently sweetie x x

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;4991460

yes in this kind of circumstance ... contact the hospital consultants … yes in this kind of circumstance ... contact the hospital consultants secretary and explain the problem. When I've been on medication set by the hospital consultant, the GP hasn't always known about it. I went in to get the prescription on repeat from the GP, and the GP said, "but you don't take..." that particular drug and I had to explain the consultant at the hospital had put me on it. It wasn't on the GP's computer system but she did believe me and issue the prescription.I was a gestational diabetic throughout my last two pregnancies and the Antenatal Consultant wrote me out a prescription for insulin, when the diabetes nurse showed me how to inject myself, she happened to mention that insulin "looked like water". When I went to get the prescription from the chemist.. I got it home and thought, that's strange, this looks cloudy, I wonder if there's something wrong with it.... I called the chemist back and she checked the prescription and she was like, "dont take that.. we'll send a taxi round to come pick it up and someone will personally bring the insulin to you. " It was a type of insulin drug with something else added to it.. thank God I never injected it into me and baby!

Sh t scary stuff. You were lucky.

Banned

WoolyM;4991367

this^^^^ id keep that a little quiet just in case:thumbsup:

on another note i just tried to get an appointment with a new gp in london and its like opening a bank account or something. i have to find out my nhs number and bring it in with my passport and a utility bill!! just rang leeds to try to get the number (as ive been out of the country for several years)and they wont give it out because of patient confidentiality..... never known anything like this in my life!!! im english born n bred

WoolyM;4991506

Sh t scary stuff. You were lucky.

yes, thank goodness for chatty nurses and her comment about what the drug looked like cos i had never seen insulin before and wouldn't have known!

Original Poster

casparwhite;4991509

this^^^^ id keep that a little quiet just in case:thumbsup:on another … this^^^^ id keep that a little quiet just in case:thumbsup:on another note i just tried to get an appointment with a new gp in london and its like opening a bank account or something. i have to find out my nhs number and bring it in with my passport and a utility bill!! just rang leeds to try to get the number (as ive been out of the country for several years)and they wont give it out because of patient confidentiality..... never known anything like this in my life!!! im english born n bred

My GPs surgery has taken on too many paitients IMO. I think that is why the staff clamp so tightly to procedures to protect themselves. I rarely see the same GP twice in a row. If you need to see a GP quickly you have to take an emergency appt with whoever is available. They are however still taking paitients on

casparwhite;4991509

this^^^^ id keep that a little quiet just in case:thumbsup:on another … this^^^^ id keep that a little quiet just in case:thumbsup:on another note i just tried to get an appointment with a new gp in london and its like opening a bank account or something. i have to find out my nhs number and bring it in with my passport and a utility bill!! just rang leeds to try to get the number (as ive been out of the country for several years)and they wont give it out because of patient confidentiality..... never known anything like this in my life!!! im english born n bred

yes, so much red tape anywhere... they have good reason for that though I suppose. Easy enough to take in passport and some other ID... not sure how you'd get hold of your nhs number if your old GP doesn't have it. My GP's secretary has always just given me mine when
    I've needed it.

WoolyM;4991457

After waiting for the phone to be answered for about 25 mins I was then … After waiting for the phone to be answered for about 25 mins I was then spoke to one of the receptionists. Kept on the line for 30 mins. Then she said bring original cardboard box that the drug came in so they can see proof and she will show a doctor. Thing is there will be a delay of hours if not days if past experiences are anything to go by. I am going to run out as last day supply tomorrow. Can't get anyone to see it as urgent. Maybe it isnt. If I am messed around in the morning I'm gonna email consultants secretary saying that I am being forced to stop a drug he has prescribed due to NHS procedures standing in the way

If I were you I would phone consultants secretary and speak to her in person rather than rely on an email which she may not pick up until later. Then confirm conversation by email.(if you know what I mean. lol) Good luck I hope you get it sorted out quickly:thumbsup:

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;4991474

When you take the box in stress to the secretary that you have none of … When you take the box in stress to the secretary that you have none of the drug left to take and you need it to be dealt with urgently sweetie x x

I have stressed that so many times already but they are not 'hearing' what I am saying

Original Poster

rosie2008;4991575

If I were you I would phone consultants secretary and speak to her in … If I were you I would phone consultants secretary and speak to her in person rather than rely on an email which she may not pick up until later. Then confirm conversation by email.(if you know what I mean. lol) Good luck I hope you get it sorted out quickly:thumbsup:

Tried that as well. The telephone system is automated and my voice always sounds like I have laryingitis so the automated systems dont register what I say correctly. Phoned 4 times today then finally got through to correct dept and then got an answerphone

WoolyM;4991562

My GPs surgery has taken on too many paitients IMO. I think that is why … My GPs surgery has taken on too many paitients IMO. I think that is why the staff clamp so tightly to procedures to protect themselves. I rarely see the same GP twice in a row. If you need to see a GP quickly you have to take an emergency appt with whoever is available. They are however still taking paitients on

There's been such an influx of people into our area within the past five years or so all the public services are overwhelmed. Children can't get places at local schools, hospitals have trouble with too many patients and not enough beds. When my premature baby needed an incubator, it meant moving two healthier and yet also preemies to another hospital 20 miles away. Felt awful for those babies' parents. Then I had the same problem three days later when a woman gave birth to twins so needed the incubator my baby was in, and he had to be moved out to make way for one of the twins. The world has gone mad!

Does your doctors have the online system to order repeat prescriptions? You get a username, pin etc & just order the repeat online, then collect.

WoolyM;4991577

I have stressed that so many times already but they are not 'hearing' … I have stressed that so many times already but they are not 'hearing' what I am saying

I hope they get their fingers out and get it sorted for you as soon as possible hon

Make sure you take care of yourself and get plenty of rest x x x

Laffy42;4991688

Does your doctors have the online system to order repeat prescriptions? … Does your doctors have the online system to order repeat prescriptions? You get a username, pin etc & just order the repeat online, then collect.

ours doesnt and we're in london.

Original Poster

Laffy42;4991688

Does your doctors have the online system to order repeat prescriptions? … Does your doctors have the online system to order repeat prescriptions? You get a username, pin etc & just order the repeat online, then collect.

Dont think so but I will ask tomorrow. Other thing I can do is ask whether possible for consultant to fax /send electronically a perscription to the chemist or GP. Dont know if this is possible or not.

Original Poster

Until recently I was seeing a different consultant through a private healthcare arrangement. Never had these issues then. I know that my present consultant does also practice privately but my private healthcare will no longer cover me to see a consultant privately unless I am prepared to pick up the cost. I wonder if the consultants operate under a framework of different priorities

Much of the NHS in the UK is in the dark ages.

Most wont accept emails - and the NHS computer system is dire.

It might me an idea to buy some from abroad - so if the same happens again you have an emergency supply.

Alternately - some pharmacies will offer you prescription drugs that they know you are prescribed without a prescription, then accept the prescription retrospectively.

Original Poster

ibiza;4991766

Much of the NHS in the UK is in the dark ages.Most wont accept emails - … Much of the NHS in the UK is in the dark ages.Most wont accept emails - and the NHS computer system is dire.It might me an idea to buy some from abroad - so if the same happens again you have an emergency supply.Alternately - some pharmacies will offer you prescription drugs that they know you are prescribed without a prescription, then accept the prescription retrospectively.

Fully understand what you are saying but doing that for the first time is a potential minefield. How can you be sure someone you are dealing with is legit or even what you are buying.
    I resisted having to take any drug for as long as possible self managing my condition. Now I have got on the poisons its a bit of a slippery slope

Original Poster

...........Alternately - some pharmacies will offer you prescription drugs that they know you are prescribed without a prescription, then accept the prescription retrospectively.

Mmmnnn Might show the box to the pharmacist before taking it to the GP and see what if anything can be achieved

WoolyM;4991807

Fully understand what you are saying but doing that for the first time is … Fully understand what you are saying but doing that for the first time is a potential minefield. How can you be sure someone you are dealing with is legit or even what you are buying.I resisted having to take any drug for as long as possible self managing my condition. Now I have got on the poisons its a bit of a slippery slope

yes the medication we have to get from Europe is ordered in by the health authority not us directly.

Original Poster

outta rep for the moment. Will make sure you are thanked when I can if not got to you

WoolyM;4991905

outta rep for the moment. Will make sure you are thanked when I can if … outta rep for the moment. Will make sure you are thanked when I can if not got to you

dont worry about the rep hon, always glad to see you on x x

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;4991878

yes the medication we have to get from Europe is ordered in by the health … yes the medication we have to get from Europe is ordered in by the health authority not us directly.

How did you get that set up?
    Do you have to pay large charges?

WoolyM;4991966

How did you get that set up?Do you have to pay large charges?

The doctor issued the prescription as usual but when we handed it to the chemist the chemist had to get back to the doctor and check with them they'd written the prescription and that was actually what they meant to prescribe.....

Can you imagine, I was snnnittin myself by that stage, thinking, what are they putting into my child!

Anyway the chemist came back to us after a couple of weeks and said there was a problem with the licensing of the drug ( no longer available in this country ) they had to get back to the manufacturers...

The manufacturers had some kind of special form for the doctor to fill in and this had to be sent to the chemist.

It all had to be okayed by the heath authority.. after about 3 months we finnnnnnnally got the prescription filled. We can get that drug now for as long as she needs it, but just from that particular chemist and through that particular doctor.

Nightmare to set up!

No charges... ( daughter is 15 )

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Gonna forget about this now till tomorrow

A dodgy solution that would seem to prevent any future recurrence would be to get your prescription then say you lost it.

Then exchange each at different chemists with a time gap - incase they are linked on the same computer.

Original Poster

Think I must have made a bit of noise. Got them throwing the meds at me now. LOL. Enough to last till I pop my clogs whenever that may be
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO11
      2. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33

See more discussions