Replace DVD drive with SSD. Put SSD in optical drive or hdd drive?

11 replies
Found 1st Jan
Hi, I have a HP Pavilion about 3 years old with a 1TB HDD. Wanted to replace the optical drive with an SSD to use as a boot drive (to help with performance) and for some programs. Was wondering whether it would be better to put the SSD in the HDD bay or in the optical bay? Is there a difference? Speed differences?
Also would 120GB be enough for windows 10, office and few other programs such as MATLAB, Anaconda and will I have space leftover?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

11 Comments

Why replace your optical drive? Isn't there a spare HDD slot, there nearly always is. You'll need a connection to your motherboard and a power supply , the connection to the motherboard will dictate the speed.

Original Poster

stec77

Why replace your optical drive? Isn't there a spare HDD slot, there … Why replace your optical drive? Isn't there a spare HDD slot, there nearly always is. You'll need a connection to your motherboard and a power supply , the connection to the motherboard will dictate the speed.

Sorry didn't mention that it's a laptop not a desktop.

Doing it for better performance, boot and load times.

get a hybrid drive you can have fast boost up and mass storage

I don't think a SSD would run as fast in an optical drive, so I'd swap the HHD for a SSD and put the HDD in the optical drive.

replace the HDD with the SSD preferably a bit bigger than 120GB, use the HDD external if you really need to

As above get a hybrid or just get rid of the HDD full stop and use a larger SSD

I have a HP Pavilion 15-p189na bought from a deal on here about a year ago that came with a 1TB HHD. I also originally contemplated putting a SSD in the optical drive but was told it would not run on SATA III from the optical drive, so then I swapped the HDD for a Samsung 850 Evo 250gb using Macrium Reflect (free) to clone the drive and it has transformed the laptop. It boots in 8 second and there is no lag anywhere! It's also a lot quieter, no more hearing the HDD churning away.

So, with that experience, if I were you I'd put your HHD in an external caddy to use as a mass storage device and get a 250gb SSD to replace the original HDD.

The EVOs are currently about £90 but for similar read and write speeds you could get something like the Crucial BX200 240 GB for just £64.14. amazon.co.uk/dp/…c=1

The real world differences between the two SSDs (apart from one being a third more expensive that the other) are almost unnoticeable and not worth considering unless you want bragging rights from the slightly better benchmark scores for the EVO. And if you want to spend even less for slightly lower benchmarks again I can personally recommend the KingDian rage of SSDs.

My daughter has the newer model 275gb crucial and her laptop is pretty fast with it.
I have a cheap 120gb ssd in mine on Windows 10 32bit and only about half full

I like crucial SSDs but buy the MX300 over the BX as it's a budget drive and the cost difference is very small. I don't rate the BX due to missing key features.

crazyfool1

Sorry didn't mention that it's a laptop not a desktop. Doing it for … Sorry didn't mention that it's a laptop not a desktop. Doing it for better performance, boot and load times.

Check the user manual or web for the technical specs of your machine. I think most on laptops the optical drive (even though physically connected with SATA cable) they actually send data through USB protocol (can't remember the correct terminology) so you won't benefit greatly from putting an SSD as a secondary device.

SSD all the way !
Best upgrade for Laptop or PC
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2128
    2. word association Game74244893
    3. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October56
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769294

See more discussions