Replace halogen mr16 to LED

Found 17th Jan
hi, any electricians out there can resolve this as keep reading conflicting info on internet. Want to replace MR16 50w halogen bulbs with LED, some sites say impossible without changing transformer, others say it’s ok. Bought some from Amazon yesterday that said they would work without changing transformer but they flashed non stop and have been returned. Does anyone have any experience of this working?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments
Did this for my FiL a year or more ago and had the same problem. The contacts inside the ceramic 'plug' (into which the bulb plugs) corrode and LEDs seem to be more susceptible to issues. You can see the corrosion on the bulb pins as well.

Changed the ceramic plugs and it worked for a while, then we noticed issues with dimness again, intermitently and only on some lights.

I have read that some transformers cant cope with the very, very low power draw. An electrician pooh poohed that but there is quote a lot of anecdotal evidence to support it and I fear being a 240v Part P electrician isn't quite the same as understanding LEDs and Transformers.

Went back to halogen and no problems whatsoever.

I choose to believe some transformers have problems. And that replacing them as well costs more than I have years left to live in terms of recovering my money
I read the same conflicts but i have done this on a light and had no problems so guess it's down to the quality etc of the transformer guessing at your result it's not ok with that transformer.
I've fitted various 12V LED tapes and always used any old 12V transformer (as long as it was over rated for the job) and never had a problem - never bought any specific (overpriced) "LED drivers"!

This link ..... lightbulbs-direct.com/art…ds/ does suggest that flashing on and off LED's is a transformer issue! I can't think what else it could be!
I've replace one out of 16 in a room (split into 3 zones of 8, 4 and 4) fitted with dimmer switches. It works, but will occasionally go out. Twiddle the dimmer and it comes back on.
Got a box of MR16's from Screwfix beginning of 2016. Straigh swop out, no dimmer, no issues so far.
airbus33017th Jan

Got a box of MR16's from Screwfix beginning of 2016. Straigh swop out, no …Got a box of MR16's from Screwfix beginning of 2016. Straigh swop out, no dimmer, no issues so far.

Hi, do you know which ones at Screwfix
I tried exactly what you were doing, and found they kept flashing, and going out.
In the end put the old ones back in.
when i have done this in the past, i removed the transformers and used the LED bulbs without transformers. i didn't think you could use the LED bulbs with transformers.

the wattage on LED bulbs are so low, there is no longer any need for transformers.
mutley121 m ago

when i have done this in the past, i removed the transformers and used the …when i have done this in the past, i removed the transformers and used the LED bulbs without transformers. i didn't think you could use the LED bulbs with transformers.the wattage on LED bulbs are so low, there is no longer any need for transformers.

A Transformer 'transforms' voltage (not power). A 12V bulb powered with 240V would perhaps flash only once!

MR16 fittings are for low voltage only - therefore do not remove the transformers (unless you are going to change the fittings)!
Van19735 m ago

A Transformer 'transforms' voltage (not power). A 12V bulb powered with …A Transformer 'transforms' voltage (not power). A 12V bulb powered with 240V would perhaps flash only once! MR16 fittings are for low voltage only - therefore do not remove the transformers (unless you are going to change the fittings)!

i bought one of those packs of 5 from homebase that came with its own fittings. so i also removed the mr16 fittings as well as the transformers.

i have not had much luck with the mr16 low voltage bulbs as they often burn out. with the new low wattage LED bulbs, i can't see these mr16 low voltage bulbs being needed any more, unless i am not understanding it correctly and these mr16 bulbs are still cheaper to run than 4w LED bulbs.
If they are powered from a single transformer, then keeping one halogen may provide the minimum load to stabilize an electronic transformer.

Old "heavy iron" transformers would always be stable, but electronic ones are very much hit or miss, some may be incompatible even with the added load of a single halogen
Just replaced mine with ones from the pound shop haha work a treat but it’s hard wired to the mains so maybe diff to yours and they last 25 years
Original Poster
Thanks for all your help everyone 😃
Original Poster
airbus33019th Jan

[Image] [Image]

Fantastic thanks. Have 20 spots in kitchen and have replaced all 20 with these. They work great. Should save a fortune. Thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants