Found 7th Nov 2008
I've just been offered a faulty 40gb PS3 for £100. The fault according to the seller is that Sony say the Hard Drive has become faulty.

Now can i follow this guide and replace the hard drive with a normal 5400rpm 2.5" SATA hard drive:

gamersreports.com/art…43/

Or will i need to do some other stuff as well. Rep lefted for any help, cheers.

PS: I've got a PS3 as well if it helps - will i need this to copy files/format?

8 Comments

Yeah that guide tells you all you need to know tho change the hdd in a ps3, it's very easy, did mine in about 10 minutes

I've now got a 320gb ps3 :-D

the ps3 will format the hdd itself, and make sure you have a screwdriver that fits properly. The screws round very easily on the ps3 hard drive caddy

shanecr;3396108

the ps3 will format the hdd itself, and make sure you have a screwdriver … the ps3 will format the hdd itself, and make sure you have a screwdriver that fits properly. The screws round very easily on the ps3 hard drive caddy

yeah agree with that, you need a very small philips screwdriver or you'll not get the screws out

I would be wary of the sellers description. They can return it to Sony if that is the fault.

Get the serial number, and ask Sony if you can return it, if "Yes", buy it, return it to Sony, get a new/reconditioned one and "bob's your uncle".

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies, as promised rep left. What do you think of this hard drive by the way:

]http//ww…276

Original Poster

thesaint;3396193

I would be wary of the sellers description. They can return it to Sony … I would be wary of the sellers description. They can return it to Sony if that is the fault.Get the serial number, and ask Sony if you can return it, if "Yes", buy it, return it to Sony, get a new/reconditioned one and "bob's your uncle".

Well without giving too much away it is actually from a store that will actually give me 12 month warranty as well if it doesn't work. Their refund policy is really strange and just give refunds without much hassle and not following procedure. They end up with "waste" that they get rid off and sometimes can be bought.

Banned

kobirulali;3396372

Well without giving too much away it is actually from a store that will … Well without giving too much away it is actually from a store that will actually give me 12 month warranty as well if it doesn't work. Their refund policy is really strange and just give refunds without much hassle and not following procedure. They end up with "waste" that they get rid off and sometimes can be bought.

Sounds very dodgy to me. Why wouldnt a store just put a £15 40gb drive in and sell it for £200 if that is the only problem?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions