Replace the awful sky broadband router - suggestions please!

Found 17th Jan 2015
Hi, currently got the router below provided from Sky.

I'm interested in replacing this with something more reliable as the connection keeps dropping & the range is poor over an old three story house.

What would you recommend for about the £60 mark please, inclusive of a modem if that's not built in.

Thanks for your help.
Matt

System Details
Manufacturer Sagemcom
Model Number F@ST2504n
Firmware Version 7.16a4N_UNI
ADSL Firmware Version A2pD038m.d24h

13 Comments

You could always switch off the Sky Wifi and connect a WiFI device to the Sky Ethernet port(s).

I had the same problem with sky they said that the original router wasn't as good as the new ones for wireless connection. It was mainly my sons playstation that kept losing the connection but occasionally other devices did as well. Sky sent me a new router after several discussion with them free of charge. Since then no problems.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Sky are one of the few that lock you to their own equipment, awful isp.

I think they have changed their policy & you can now use your own kit.

Original Poster

ashopaholic123

I had the same problem with sky they said that the original router wasn't … I had the same problem with sky they said that the original router wasn't as good as the new ones for wireless connection. It was mainly my sons playstation that kept losing the connection but occasionally other devices did as well. Sky sent me a new router after several discussion with them free of charge. Since then no problems.

Do you know what model you have now please?

Original Poster

john52

You could always switch off the Sky Wifi and connect a WiFI device to the … You could always switch off the Sky Wifi and connect a WiFI device to the Sky Ethernet port(s).

Yeah true - looking for suggestions as to what that kit is though

go to sky user forum and search Known Working Third Party Routers

tell sky you are having issues and they may upgrade you. otherwise get a powerline. i have the exact same problem btw. not so bad right next to router, but in my bedroom 10 yards away, it's horrendous. i am buying a mifi just for the bedroom! gah!

Look at a dlink 868l on amazon for around 61 pounds. Not as quick as my Asus but got one for my grandparents to replace plusnet router on fibre and it's working well. Good signal ac spec so decent speed. Can't complain for the money.

Hi I've just had a look they replaced it with the same make as you stated but I don't know what model number it is. I can't see it on the router. Sorry I can't be more help

I has the same problem and highly recommend replacing with:
TP-LINK TD-W8970 (has really great reviews too)

Cheapest is under £40 inc delivery

dabs.com/pro…tml?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_campaign=Networking%20-%20Routers%20and%20Switches%20-%20Routers

ballicom.co.uk/tdw…Asw

Original Poster

ashopaholic123

Hi I've just had a look they replaced it with the same make as you stated … Hi I've just had a look they replaced it with the same make as you stated but I don't know what model number it is. I can't see it on the router. Sorry I can't be more help

Thank you

Original Poster

Sandy1012

I has the same problem and highly recommend replacing with:TP-LINK … I has the same problem and highly recommend replacing with:TP-LINK TD-W8970 (has really great reviews too)Cheapest is under £40 inc deliveryhttp://www.dabs.com/products/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-gigabit-adsl2--modem-router-8HGY.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_campaign=Networking%20-%20Routers%20and%20Switches%20-%20Routershttp://www.ballicom.co.uk/tdw8970-tplink-tdw8970--wireless-router--dsl--desktop.p906069.html?ref=PLA&gclid=CLnn1ty5m8MCFeISwwodnnQAsw

Thank you!

Original Poster

Sandy1012

I has the same problem and highly recommend replacing with:TP-LINK … I has the same problem and highly recommend replacing with:TP-LINK TD-W8970 (has really great reviews too)Cheapest is under £40 inc deliveryhttp://www.dabs.com/products/tp-link-300mbps-wireless-n-gigabit-adsl2--modem-router-8HGY.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_campaign=Networking%20-%20Routers%20and%20Switches%20-%20Routershttp://www.ballicom.co.uk/tdw8970-tplink-tdw8970--wireless-router--dsl--desktop.p906069.html?ref=PLA&gclid=CLnn1ty5m8MCFeISwwodnnQAsw

Thanks again for this Sandy - I have bought one from amazon for 33
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants