Expired

Replace Vauxhall Astra Stereo (CD 30)

Found 21st May 2013
I have a 55 plate astra hatchback. CD 30 stereo player.

How difficult is it to upgrade it to something aftermarket? like in this pic: dynamicsoundsltd.co.uk/gal…448

Are these standard sizes designed to fit all cars, or will I have to find something compatiable with my car specifically.

Also, can this cause any problems, like interfere with anything else in the car?

Also, my dash is a greyish colour, not black like in the pic

I'd appreciate any help
Community Updates
AskCDVauxhall
14 Comments
Original Poster
I literally have no idea if I'd need to buy extra parts, etc.
You'd be better on a Vauxhall forum
Thats a double DIN unit, you would need to buy a fascia plate to go round the edge of it as when you remove the existing CD player, the new unit will not be exactly same size so fascia plate with a gap for a double DIN unit.

As far as wiring etc am not too sure, may be a case of plug and play but not too sure. Best bet, pay someone a little bit to fit it and get it in right.
Is your centre console the same as one in the pic or is it the standard grey one?
Original Poster
Sebas111

Is your centre console the same as one in the pic or is it the standard … Is your centre console the same as one in the pic or is it the standard grey one?

Mine is the standard grey one (CD 30), how much does fitting cost on average, anyone know?

I posted here because I've registered here, will ask in a vauxhall forum soon when I have more time
I would imagine that fitting shouldnt cost too much to be honest. Not really a difficult job for someone who knows what they are doing.

Use halfords as a guide for how much to expect to pay labour wise.
Hi OP,

with regards to your issue i'd recommend going to an owners club forum (theres dozens of forums dedicated for help and advice to each specific car model).

For example my car being a Peugeot 207 I've signed up and got an account with the 207 Owners Club, its a helpful website thats dedicated to maintenance, upgrade, general upkeep and diagnostics to each individual model.

In your case, check out the Vauxhall Astra Owners Club (astraownersclub.com/vb/…php)
There will be I can imagine, step-by-step guides as to how to replace your stock head unit for an aftermarket one along with guidance with regards to any additional plugs / cables required.

Honestly, this applies to a lot of car models, there are dedicated forums out there that guys will be uploading their personal helpful guides along with other information about the car model itself.

Literally I'd recommend popping your car model (e.g. Vauxhall Astra, Vauxhall Corsa, Fiat Punto etc.) into google and end the search terms with "Owners Club", I have done and haven't looked back!

All the best in regards to upgrading your Head Unit, I hope I have helped :-)

*edit*

In regard to your issue, I've had a quick search on the owners forum for you and used the information you have provided (e.g Astra and 55 plate) assumed its a MK5. (please correct if required), but for the MK5 there is a how-to guide (in PDF format so download Adobe Reader to view if you haven't got a basic PDF reader!) located at the following location (click ->) astraownersclub.com/doc…pdf

If your car isn't a MK5, then go to this link (click ->) astraownersclub.com/vb/…php and select your how to guide in the drop down menu! :-)

Edited by: "JordUK" 21st May 2013
JordUK

Hi OP,with regards to your issue i'd recommend going to an owners club … Hi OP,with regards to your issue i'd recommend going to an owners club forum (theres dozens of forums dedicated for help and advice to each specific car model).For example my car being a Peugeot 207 I've signed up and got an account with the 207 Owners Club, its a helpful website thats dedicated to maintenance, upgrade, general upkeep and diagnostics to each individual model.In your case, check out the Vauxhall Astra Owners Club (http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/forum.php)There will be I can imagine, step-by-step guides as to how to replace your stock head unit for an aftermarket one along with guidance with regards to any additional plugs / cables required.Honestly, this applies to a lot of car models, there are dedicated forums out there that guys will be uploading their personal helpful guides along with other information about the car model itself. Literally I'd recommend popping your car model (e.g. Vauxhall Astra, Vauxhall Corsa, Fiat Punto etc.) into google and end the search terms with "Owners Club", I have done and haven't looked back! All the best in regards to upgrading your Head Unit, I hope I have helped :-)

Would also recommend this. I used to have an astra and found alsorts out from forums. Saved me a few quid. Just upgraded to a Type R and likewise, loads of forums for them too so happy days
Original Poster
Thanks guys! As jorduk will defoz check that out it is MK5. At uni right now will check it out soon
I have 06 plate with same stereo got a new sony stereo fitted at halfords for 150 didn't take long
Original Poster
ashmac

I have 06 plate with same stereo got a new sony stereo fitted at halfords … I have 06 plate with same stereo got a new sony stereo fitted at halfords for 150 didn't take long

Oooh, any chance you could link me? or give me the sony model number? I'd appreciate it

Can I buy the stereo elsewhere and get it fitted by halfords?
halfords are reasonably competitive when it comes to buying stereos imo! however fitting is really easy check out youtube...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants