Replacement £@%^~!? 12v charger for My book essential Western Digital HDD

Posted 18th May
Hi all,

This is doing my head in.

My original plug cable for the HDD has fried. So I looked up the parts number off of amazon and ordered a new one, apparently supposed to fit my power pin. IT DOESN'T.

3466478-OabRL.jpg
It's out by 2 mm diameter or so. So frustrating. I need to order something else, can anyone recommend a multi plug 12 v variety of this please so I can get my HDD up and running once more again? Here are a few more pictures to help :

3466478-DiQqx.jpg3466478-9B8gb.jpg
The old power plug end also had one of these if important:

3466478-1B4NG.jpg
Please can you help, this issue has started to do my head in majorly!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
12V 1.5A DC 5.5 x 2.5 barrel. The one you have received is possibly 5.5 x 2.1 barrel so wouldn't fit.
AndyRoyd18/05/2020 19:45

12V 1.5A DC 5.5 x 2.5 barrel. The one you have received is possibly 5.5 x …12V 1.5A DC 5.5 x 2.5 barrel. The one you have received is possibly 5.5 x 2.1 barrel so wouldn't fit.

What measurement unit is the 2.5 and 2.1 barrel? I was thinking of ordering a plug with multi barrel sizes to find the correct thing that will do the job. Can you recommend anything?
MildmanneredCalvin18/05/2020 19:53

What measurement unit is the 2.5 and 2.1 barrel? I was thinking of …What measurement unit is the 2.5 and 2.1 barrel? I was thinking of ordering a plug with multi barrel sizes to find the correct thing that will do the job. Can you recommend anything?

Barrel size is measured in millimeters, so 5.5mm x 2.5mm. Many of the 2.1mm variants are internally spring-loaded and will expand to accommodate 2.5mm; I suspect yours doesn't.
Not a recommendation as such as I have no personal experience, but should suit OK if product description is correct:
12V 2A DC 5.5 x 2.5mm £8.99 FBA amazon.co.uk/dp/…0S/ (not the cheaper near-identical alternative item that hides contradictory 2.1mm dimension in packing list).

Or you are confident you have a 2.1mm plug, you could use a 5.5 x 2.1(female) to 5.5 x 2.5(male) converter, random example £1.64 from credible supplier amazon.co.uk/dp/…YY/

Many household devices use 5.5x2.5 or 2.1 so you could increase your confidence by comparison; just make sure the power is off before you see what barrel(s) fit OK or not. Likely candidates are supplies for routers, set-top boxes, security cameras, etc. So if one fits fine, websearch the barrel size for that device. Note this is just to boost your confidence on barrel size, not voltage or current requirements.
Personally, I'm the sort to cut the wires and then solder the other jack on. If you already have a spare 12v with the wrong sized barrel snip the wires and attached the broken adapters jack on, just make sure the polarity is right. If you know the measurements you could get a 12v adapter super cheap. They are so common, any 12v of 1.5a or higher with a jack of the right size and polarity will work fine.
Edited by: "mogsog" 18th May
AndyRoyd18/05/2020 20:29

Barrel size is measured in millimeters, so 5.5mm x 2.5mm. Many of the …Barrel size is measured in millimeters, so 5.5mm x 2.5mm. Many of the 2.1mm variants are internally spring-loaded and will expand to accommodate 2.5mm; I suspect yours doesn't. Not a recommendation as such as I have no personal experience, but should suit OK if product description is correct:12V 2A DC 5.5 x 2.5mm £8.99 FBA https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017YW2L0S/ (not the cheaper near-identical alternative item that hides contradictory 2.1mm dimension in packing list).Or you are confident you have a 2.1mm plug, you could use a 5.5 x 2.1(female) to 5.5 x 2.5(male) converter, random example £1.64 from credible supplier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004HTFCYY/Many household devices use 5.5x2.5 or 2.1 so you could increase your confidence by comparison; just make sure the power is off before you see what barrel(s) fit OK or not. Likely candidates are supplies for routers, set-top boxes, security cameras, etc. So if one fits fine, websearch the barrel size for that device. Note this is just to boost your confidence on barrel size, not voltage or current requirements.

Thank you very much. I'd need it to be 1.5 amps and not 2. I hope that the converter can do the job so I don't have to return the already bought power plug. Holding it up against a ruler, the new plug appears to measure at 2.1 mm and the old one is 2.5 mm. I will order the converter and hold my breath. Many thanks for taking the trouble to answer my quandry!
MildmanneredCalvin18/05/2020 21:16

Thank you very much. I'd need it to be 1.5 amps and not 2. I hope that the …Thank you very much. I'd need it to be 1.5 amps and not 2. I hope that the converter can do the job so I don't have to return the already bought power plug. Holding it up against a ruler, the new plug appears to measure at 2.1 mm and the old one is 2.5 mm. I will order the converter and hold my breath. Many thanks for taking the trouble to answer my quandry!

The supply doesn't "need" to be 1.5A, it needs to be minimum 1.5A; the device will not demand more than it requires. A supply rated at 2A will be fine, as would 3A etc.
AndyRoyd18/05/2020 21:22

The supply doesn't "need" to be 1.5A, it needs to be minimum 1.5A; the …The supply doesn't "need" to be 1.5A, it needs to be minimum 1.5A; the device will not demand more than it requires. A supply rated at 2A will be fine, as would 3A etc.

As always Andrew is correct.

OP to remember: volts are pushed into the device and amps are pulled by the device as required. Little thing my old physics teacher told me.
AndyRoyd18/05/2020 21:22

The supply doesn't "need" to be 1.5A, it needs to be minimum 1.5A; the …The supply doesn't "need" to be 1.5A, it needs to be minimum 1.5A; the device will not demand more than it requires. A supply rated at 2A will be fine, as would 3A etc.

Fair enough, I just don't want to see my HDD fried that's all!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions