Groups

replacement for a Sony W829 tv?

Hi all,

My Sony 55" W829 recently developed a fault and since it's under warranty I am getting a replacement (not economical to repair) or a refund of price paid. I got it from John Lewis after a deal listed here around 2 years ago, so paid £579 I think as it was towards the end of it being sold in JL.

The talk of this model back then was about it's excellent quality and I've certainly been happy with it. I'm not sure what's around at the moment though, so some recommendations would be great. Since the clearance price means I got a £800ish tv for less, I realise I probably won't be getting as much of a tv for the same price so am prepared to spend a little more on top.

Any input appreciated. Doesn't have to be Sony and 55" is the maximum size I want for the room. Thanks

4 Comments

Hiya. I'd hang on to your cash for a few weeks, as almost all of the main TV brands release the 2017 models in late April.

That's what I'm doing (as in same boat as you, except mine is the KDL40HX753 and the warranty just run out).

seftonblake

Hiya. I'd hang on to your cash for a few weeks, as almost all of the main … Hiya. I'd hang on to your cash for a few weeks, as almost all of the main TV brands release the 2017 models in late April.

Not at anything close to £580 they don't. With the new product price premium and the brexit economy you're looking at £1200-1400 for the new Sony 80 models and equivalents.

Even the bottom of the range 40" RE45 is £590. You'd have to hang on for another eight months to see comparable prices. At that sort of budget you want to be looking at the 2016 models right now.

If you can live with the adverts then Samsung's KS7000 is very strong at £800-1000.

Panasonic's DX700, DX750 and DX802 would have similar strengths to your current model, although the viewing angles aren't the widest.

The chinese company Hisense is popular right now, the M7000 would be the one to go for at your budget.

EndlessWaves

Not at anything close to £580 they don't. With the new product price … Not at anything close to £580 they don't. With the new product price premium and the brexit economy you're looking at £1200-1400 for the new Sony 80 models and equivalents.Even the bottom of the range 40" RE45 is £590. You'd have to hang on for another eight months to see comparable prices. At that sort of budget you want to be looking at the 2016 models right now.If you can live with the adverts then Samsung's KS7000 is very strong at £800-1000.Panasonic's DX700, DX750 and DX802 would have similar strengths to your current model, although the viewing angles aren't the widest. The chinese company Hisense is popular right now, the M7000 would be the one to go for at your budget.

​I wasn't thinking of him buying the newest model (more like the clearance stock etc). Stores don't like having the same or similar models siting next to the newest model

Original Poster

seftonblake

​I wasn't thinking of him buying the newest model (more like the c … ​I wasn't thinking of him buying the newest model (more like the clearance stock etc). Stores don't like having the same or similar models siting next to the newest model

Thanks both - going for an end of line 2016 model would be my plan, I didn't think of the new releases coming out so waiting a few weeks would be fine with me. I bought the Sony at about this time in 2015 so makes sense really. I have seen a lot of Hisense talk so will do some research. An android based tv will be handy and 4K is a bonus but not a must for this tv (I'll eventually get an OLED when we have a bigger room)

Ads on the Samsung? This is new info...are they advert driven TV guides and so on?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Looking for help/advice finding a weeks holiday in September please??56
      2. GAP Insurance Recommendations11
      3. Any discount for paultons park?22
      4. New Layout is Confusing: How to I navigate to specific items!?56

See more discussions