Replacement for Google Asus Nexus 7, suggestions?

Found 14th Feb
Hope someone can help. Trying to help dad get a replacement for his (now) terminally slow Nexus 7 (32Gb). Main use is watching films on the plane, and web browsing, ebay, Gmail, maybe internet banking. Was very happy with the Nexus, but now getting unreliable. I think he prefers the portability of the 7 inch size, and wants good battery life, expandable storage, quick response to turning on. What have others replaced their Nexus with, and are they happy?
Community Updates
Have you tried a factory reset.? It can speed up your mobile loads.
Which one does he have?

I have a 2012? version which is kinda slow and 2 newer versions, 2013 or 2014 I think.

The newer ones are more than fast enough, been using mine daily for a couple of years now without slowing down.

I'd suggest getting the latest one if he has the 2012 model or factory resetting the one he has.

Personally I've found nothing as good as the Nexus 7, I have a few other tablets / ipads but the Nexus 7 is without a doubt my favourite.
i have a 2012, tried resetting but no major improvement. Press the app drawer and it needs 5-6 sec to open. Anything else I can do? Not sure how to flash a ROM, and no clue which is a good one. Any tips?
I still have my Nexus 7 (2012). Downgrading it to KitKat (Android 4.4) with location settings switched off made a huge difference. Lollipop (Android 5) was mind boggling slow on it.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 15th Feb
Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, he's done the factory reset, film use he's happy with, but chrome and Gmail are doing his head in. Will suggest a downgrade to KitKat, he's on his original 2012, I'm on my second 2013. Think they are great, but not available now (my last was clearance stock). After that, it might be the Asus pooool suggested, not sure if Nexus 7 2013 still available unless used/ refurbished?

I have the same 2012 it was so slow not usable. Put a new slim rom on it now its like new as long as your good with computers give it a go.
Post a comment

Top Discussions

Top Merchants