Replacement for Talk talk router

Found 21st Feb
Hi

Im fed up with the dropouts and range of the router that is currently supplied by talk talk (Huawei 633)

Has anyone got suggestions on what to replace it with.

I have the fibre package if that makes any difference, an added bonus would be that it works with virgin fibre as might change to that when my contract expires next year.

Needs to be 2.4 and 5ghz networks.

no budget in mind, but the cheaper the better.

Any suggestions
Community Updates
AskElectronics
17 Comments
I had a similar problem with my Virgin fibre router a couple of months ago, contacted them and explained the situation and they replaced the router with a different model (newer) free of charge.
Thanks, but I think I have the latest model.

I've asked them to replace it so hoping that might solve the problem. However still looking for a better one elsewhere but not sure what to get
Just be sure it's Openreach approved, otherwise you could see your connection disconnected,
deleted1597344
_-Richie-_21st Feb

Just be sure it's Openreach approved, otherwise you could see your …Just be sure it's Openreach approved, otherwise you could see your connection disconnected,

Rubbish
deleted159734421st Feb

Rubbish

No, not at all, have a read Here

The briefing for this was closed to the public, although the private document states that “Openreach will not enter into any discussions about the modems involved” (they don’t appear to name the device). Openreach also warns that they will “disconnect” the service if it’s identified that one of the non-approved devices is in use (we assume they could easily identify such routers via loopback testing).

We know from past experience that Openreach can also request that the device itself be disconnected (rather than shut down the entire service) or they could refuse to fix problems. Likewise they could conceivably levy charges if the device is found to be the cause of a fault investigation (i.e. requiring an engineer call out or abortive visit etc.). In other words, it’s wise to use an approved router when requesting ISP support.
Do you know that you're on the latest firmware? Believe it should be as below.....

Product type:HG633

Hardware version:H.1.01

Software version:v1.22.1t

I've had mine in for a bit over a month now, requested TT to update the firmware when I went live as although it had only just shipped out it was out of date already (probably been sat around in a warehouse for a while). I actually find it pretty decent.

Are your drop outs only on wireless? Tried changing the channel?
Edited by: "morgie" 21st Feb
deleted1597344
@Bob24601 depending on budget, personally I would always go down the DrayTek route. Equipment is not cheap but you really do get what you pay for.
When I change ISP first thing I always do is sell their router they provide on eBay. I think from 3 ISP routers I got £50+ back.
RiverDragon88 m ago

When I change ISP first thing I always do is sell their router they …When I change ISP first thing I always do is sell their router they provide on eBay. I think from 3 ISP routers I got £50+ back.

£50 is almost enough to pay the o2 router £51.06 non-return fee service.o2.co.uk/IQ/…563
Thank you for all the replies.

The dropouts only seen to be on wireless but then again the only thing I have wired is a NAS and hue hub, they both seem fine.

The problem I also find is range, if I go to the other end of the home then struggle to get Wi-Fi.

I've tried resetting the router to default settings, but reading up on it when I hold the reset button for 30 seconds all lights should go off. I've tried this but the lights don't go off, so assuming it's not resetting.

I've also tried to access the main settings page 192.168.1.1 but comes up page cannot be displayed.

I haven't thought of changing the channel, so if I can get into the setup page maybe I will give this a go.

How do I know it's openreach approved?

I don't have a budget in mind, but don't really want to go overkill and waste money for now reason. All I really want is a reliable fast connection.
deleted1597344
Ignore the Openreach approved tosh, you will not get disconnected!

As you don’t want overkill you could put the current device into modem only mode, i assume it can be done but you would need to check (tell TalkTalk that device is faulty and get a replacement first) then go and buy a router only. Not sure if TalkTalk are IPv6 compliant yet but if so and that bothers you stay away from anything Netgear.
Your problem is TalkTalk..
Yeah talk talk is more than likely the problem, however I have another year left on my contract and don't fancy paying all that fee to cancel.

Ideally I want one box (to keep the wife happy! As she hates cables), so guess I need something that incorporates the modem and router.
Are you sure it's not just a faulty router, I have a Talk talk one, rarely get a drop-out and I'm only on the standard broadband package, it's better than the BT one I used to have that's for sure.
Yeah it might be, I've asked them for a replacement so hopefully that might fix my issues as can't reset to factory and can't login to the admin page.

I guess if they do replace and it's fine I might not need a replacement. But will keep an eye out just in case as it's so frustrating!
Bob246013 h, 35 m ago

Yeah talk talk is more than likely the problem, however I have another …Yeah talk talk is more than likely the problem, however I have another year left on my contract and don't fancy paying all that fee to cancel.Ideally I want one box (to keep the wife happy! As she hates cables), so guess I need something that incorporates the modem and router.

Don't some providers pay your remaining balance if you switch? Might be phone providers, can't remember but someone does!

Switch to bt infinity as soon as you can, excellent hub and fantastic connection.

Obviously this doesn't answer your initial question but that's what I suggest to everyone who is with TalkTalk.
Bt contract buyout for line and broadband is £300
Sky is £100
EE is £50
Vodafone is £100
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants