Replacement Greenhouse glass panels

Found 7th Mar 2016
Hi all,

I have had the good fortune of being given a greenhouse to use on an allotment, on the condition that I dismantle it from their garden, and transport it myself. This was wonderful news for me, however although I was really careful when removing the panes of glass, quite a lot of them got broken when carrying them, and when they were in transit.

Therefore I was wondering if anyone knew of a cheap way to get replacement panes/panels. I am not too bothered if they are glass or plastic, but the cheaper the better.

Many Thanks
Community Updates
11 Comments
I brought my last ones from eBay and swapped them for plastic
I just buy 3mm clear glass from local builders merchants.
Try a local glazing company if you want glass. My local one was rediculously cheap compared to anywhere else local or online, and was cut to size.
Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

I have had a look on Ebay, and thought they were quite expensive, as I will need quite a lot (plus it was mainly collection only). I shall local builders merchants, is it easy to cut to size myself, or do you think they will do it?

I will give my local glazing companies a try too, hopefully I can get some cheap, and a good contact for the future in case I require anymore.

Thanks all
B&Q had cheap greenhouse glass packs. Think they were a deal on here too. £5 a pack. Saw them in my local last week.
allsa001

Thanks everyone.I have had a look on Ebay, and thought they were quite … Thanks everyone.I have had a look on Ebay, and thought they were quite expensive, as I will need quite a lot (plus it was mainly collection only). I shall local builders merchants, is it easy to cut to size myself, or do you think they will do it?I will give my local glazing companies a try too, hopefully I can get some cheap, and a good contact for the future in case I require anymore.Thanks all

​Really sharp scissors is the key.
Kidding, get them to cut it, doesn't matter if it's a few mm too small for a greenhouse.
I was in the same situation, and one day by chance noticed some rather large pieces of 3mm perspex dumped at the back of a local shop along with other rubbish. I asked if they were being thrown away, and if so could I have them. They were, and I could, so after cutting some pieces I have a greenhouse without any missing windows, and plenty of perspex waiting incase of 'accidents'. May be worth keeping an eye on piles of junk by shops lol
Yeah, or try your local tip/recyling center. The one here often has sheets of glass available for a small cost.
Original Poster
Thanks again, I shall keep a look out for the perspex.

I am also going to take the panes I broke to our local tip, so I can check there whether they have any bigger panes available.
I've seen these pop up on gumtree a few times. Worth a look.
chuckiedoll

B&Q had cheap greenhouse glass packs. Think they were a deal on here too. … B&Q had cheap greenhouse glass packs. Think they were a deal on here too. £5 a pack. Saw them in my local last week.

This is the thread here B&Q
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants