Groups
    EXPIRED

Replacement laptop (dell) batteries? 3rd party maybe?

Has anyone bought 3rd party replacement batteries from anywhere they can recomend?

My vostro 1500 (18 month old) has the extended 9 cell battery and is only lasting 1 hour now and showing 77% wear, so need a new battery but dell is £107 for the 6 cell and £117 for the 9 cell so not worth it, i'd rather stick the bit extra to that and get a netbook.

So has anyone got any experience/recommendations for 3rd party vendors?

23 Comments

http://blogs.smh.com.au/mashup/images/470_dell4.jpg

Probably don't want to buy this one...

Original Poster

t0mm;6044038

Probably don't want to buy this one...

Errm no thanks cos the coa looks unreadable.

Banned

hey harlzter was just reaading up on this extended battery thing and it made little sense to me, what is it

Shotgun on your faulty battery. Mine doesnt even work now.

sassie;6044066

hey harlzter was just reaading up on this extended battery thing and it … hey harlzter was just reaading up on this extended battery thing and it made little sense to me, what is it

An extended battery is simply a higher capacity battery which lasts longer than the original, in some cases the battery is physically the same size but commonly the extended battery will be physically larger. In these cases the battery may stick out the back, the extra portion may stick out the bottom to lift the laptop up in use (this design is popular as it's good for cooling) or depending on the battery position it may stick out the front. The laptop above is a Dell Latitude D410 on the stock battery, the extended one in this case sticks in the same slot but it extends beyond the front of the laptop.

Depending on the manufacturing the extended batteries tend to offer around 50% more capacity although the battery is more expensive and will obviously add to the weight, on some small machines the extended batteries can be clumsy. In find they work well on a couple of machines and really annoyed that supply is so short of them for the Dell Studio XPS 16's - this machine has a short batterylife and gets hot underneath so it's perfect for an extended battery.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7;6044204

An extended battery is simply a higher capacity battery which lasts … An extended battery is simply a higher capacity battery which lasts longer than the original, in some cases the battery is physically the same size but commonly the extended battery will be physically larger. In these cases the battery may stick out the back, the extra portion may stick out the bottom to lift the laptop up in use (this design is popular as it's good for cooling) or depending on the battery position it may stick out the front. The laptop above is a Dell Latitude D410 on the stock battery, the extended one in this case sticks in the same slot but it extends beyond the front of the laptop.Depending on the manufacturing the extended batteries tend to offer around 50% more capacity although the battery is more expensive and will obviously add to the weight, on some small machines the extended batteries can be clumsy. In find they work well on a couple of machines and really annoyed that supply is so short of them for the Dell Studio XPS 16's - this machine has a short batterylife and gets hot underneath so it's perfect for an extended battery.John

my dell one has this option in the power settings :thinking:

Dunno...............

1st dibs on the laptop:w00t:

Original Poster

sassie;6044066

hey harlzter was just reaading up on this extended battery thing and it … hey harlzter was just reaading up on this extended battery thing and it made little sense to me, what is it

The standard one is comprised of 6 cells the xtended (in mine) is 9 cells so it should last 50% longer, I used to get 6 hours from mine when new, it was a free upgrade though when I bought mine so no having to ponder if it was a worthwhile extra.
    When I bought it it wasnt reall worth extra as I used it for sofa surfing so being plugged in wasnt a problem, now I have the main pc in the living room and the media centre pc hooked upto the gogglebox my laptop use is more for out of the home so a netbook's size and a longer battery life are more important, to use either in a wifi hotspot or with mobile broadband.

Original Poster

Chidda;6044118

Shotgun on your faulty battery. Mine doesnt even work now.

Ive got so desperate I even tried the deep freeze technique to try and give it some extra oomph.

I've been thinking about purchasing a third party battery as well, as my battery is now non existant.
    It used to previously last about a minute but now it literally goes off the second the mains adapter comes out. :oops:

I've heard that third party batteries can actually damage your laptop but I'm not sure if that's true and besides...I don't want to pay crazy prices for a battery...how can companies justify those prices?

Banned

That's not good!

My vostro 1500 is the same age! ( same deal probably!) have I got this to look forward.

Banned

realfriendlyman;6044293

I've been thinking about purchasing a third party battery as well, as my … I've been thinking about purchasing a third party battery as well, as my battery is now non existant.It used to previously last about a minute but now it literally goes off the second the mains adapter comes out. :oops:I've heard that third party batteries can actually damage your laptop but I'm not sure if that's true and besides...I don't want to pay crazy prices for a battery...how can companies justify those prices?

I would be careful about buying 3rd party, i purchased a 3rd party power pack for my laptop and after 4 months it went pop, they replaced it after me paying for it to be returned to be sent out another that was faulty on receipt, offered to replace again if i paid for the return, cut my losses and never bothered, and was over paypals time to put in a dispute

sassie;6044240

my dell one has this option in the power settings :thinking:

I'm not sure what you mean?

John

harlzter;6044264

Ive got so desperate I even tried the deep freeze technique to try and … Ive got so desperate I even tried the deep freeze technique to try and give it some extra oomph.

What deep freeze technique? Leave it in a freezer for an hour? My laptop goes dead once lead is pulled out

Banned

Johnmcl7;6044409

I'm not sure what you mean? John

no, me either - lol

in my power otions, then dell battery meter it says "extended battery life options" and either disable or enable :?

Got 2 extended batteries for my vostro 1500, one came with the laptop and the other I bought from ebay for £40.
    Was very happy with it. So I would have a look there.

sassie;6044438

no, me either - lolin my power otions, then dell battery meter it says … no, me either - lolin my power otions, then dell battery meter it says "extended battery life options" and either disable or enable :?

I believe that's to extend the run time on battery by cutting down power usage as much as possible over and beyond what the operating system does in power saving mode.

John

sassie;6044326

I would be careful about buying 3rd party, i purchased a 3rd party power … I would be careful about buying 3rd party, i purchased a 3rd party power pack for my laptop and after 4 months it went pop, they replaced it after me paying for it to be returned to be sent out another that was faulty on receipt, offered to replace again if i paid for the return, cut my losses and never bothered, and was over paypals time to put in a dispute

Where would you recommend buying one then, as I don't want to spend £60-£100 for a battery?

Original Poster

guv;6044315

That's not good!My vostro 1500 is the same age! ( same deal probably!) … That's not good!My vostro 1500 is the same age! ( same deal probably!) have I got this to look forward.

The deal for around £300-310 last January?

hotukdeals.com/ite…=38

Same deal/age/battery, you are screwed:whistling:

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6044472

Got 2 extended batteries for my vostro 1500, one came with the laptop and … Got 2 extended batteries for my vostro 1500, one came with the laptop and the other I bought from ebay for £40. Was very happy with it. So I would have a look there.

Is the ebay one genuine or third party?

harlzter;6045255

Is the ebay one genuine or third party?

Yeh it was genuine.

Original Poster

deathtrap3000;6045317

Yeh it was genuine.

That was a bargain then, dont suppose you can remember the seller? all I can find at that price are 3rd party ones.
    Cheers
    lee

harlzter;6045381

That was a bargain then, dont suppose you can remember the seller? all I … That was a bargain then, dont suppose you can remember the seller? all I can find at that price are 3rd party ones.Cheerslee

********************co.uk/Tra…sZ1 - insert ebay where all the stars are

Not sure if they sell them anymore. It was over a year ago.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1532
      2. Dashcam question512
      3. Battery drain on iOS 111214
      4. Which Kodi Add-ons?1111

See more discussions