Replacement Laptop Help Required Please

Posted 27th May
I have been offered £699.00 Currys voucher as a replacement for my current laptop or a cash payout of £636. Please could anyone help suggest a decent laptop for either £699 from currys or under £636 from another retailer:

Requirements:
- Used for work - Light Picture editing, multiple browser tabs, lots of excel and Sage
- PS4 Remote Play
- Would like to be able to run some games, not top tier but I'd love to be able to finally play Dawn of War 3 or Total War Warhammer
- For it to last a couple of years

Thanks for your help!
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
would be nice to know what your current laptop was, so nobody recommends that one
tardytortoise27/05/2020 18:46

would be nice to know what your current laptop was, so nobody recommends …would be nice to know what your current laptop was, so nobody recommends that one

It's a few years old now and was an i7, Intel graphics and 4 gb ram I think I bought at the wrong time and the wrong laptop back then, it was more out of necessity for work.
The gaming requirement is the biggest dictator here, so look for the best graphics card you can get for within your budget and unless it's a very weird configuration the rest of the laptop should be as well suited to your other needs and anything else would be too. For £699 the best GPU you're going to find is the GTX 1650, so look at these laptops here. The Asus model with 512GB SSD is your best bet but is not currently in stock, the Lenovo that is available will perform similarly well but it's only got half the storage, so it depends on how long you have to make your decision, although you'd also have the option of adding more storage yourself further down the line if you needed more.

Taking the £635 cash to buy elsewhere, you're unlikely to find anything else with the same graphics performance. I know gaming isn't your sole priority, but the options are either a slightly weaker GPU like the 1050 which will likely be paired with an older generation processor and have less overall longevity, or an equivalent generation processor with a much weaker graphics card like the MX250 that will put a much greater limitation on the games you're able to play and the settings you're able to play them.
ElGofre27/05/2020 20:17

The gaming requirement is the biggest dictator here, so look for the best …The gaming requirement is the biggest dictator here, so look for the best graphics card you can get for within your budget and unless it's a very weird configuration the rest of the laptop should be as well suited to your other needs and anything else would be too. For £699 the best GPU you're going to find is the GTX 1650, so look at these laptops here. The Asus model with 512GB SSD is your best bet but is not currently in stock, the Lenovo that is available will perform similarly well but it's only got half the storage, so it depends on how long you have to make your decision, although you'd also have the option of adding more storage yourself further down the line if you needed more.Taking the £635 cash to buy elsewhere, you're unlikely to find anything else with the same graphics performance. I know gaming isn't your sole priority, but the options are either a slightly weaker GPU like the 1050 which will likely be paired with an older generation processor and have less overall longevity, or an equivalent generation processor with a much weaker graphics card like the MX250 that will put a much greater limitation on the games you're able to play and the settings you're able to play them.

Thank you so much for your reply. The Lenovo was the best i could find via currys, I do have an old sata drive I took out the PS4 but I can't find any info on this model as to whether I could drop it in or have to replace the whole SSD which I don't want to have to do. Do you have any experience with Lenovo? Also I have until tomorrow morning to confirm if I will take voucher or cash :/
Kouga27/05/2020 20:26

Thank you so much for your reply. The Lenovo was the best i could find via …Thank you so much for your reply. The Lenovo was the best i could find via currys, I do have an old sata drive I took out the PS4 but I can't find any info on this model as to whether I could drop it in or have to replace the whole SSD which I don't want to have to do. Do you have any experience with Lenovo? Also I have until tomorrow morning to confirm if I will take voucher or cash :/

This chassis does seem to support an additional hard drive bay thankfully.

news.lenovo.com/wp-…pdf

I've personally had good experience with Lenovo, I've never personally bought a gaming laptop from them but I've purchased and set up a couple of standard i3 models in the past for family members and made lots of recommendations for them during my time moderating the Tech section of another large forum, and feedback has generally been positive.
Edited by: "ElGofre" 27th May
Post a comment
@
    Text