Replacing a consumer unit

Posted 23rd Jan
I have had quotes from electricians to replace the existing consumer unit and carry out a periodic inspection / electrical installation condition report for the property.

I am getting different stories given to me as to what certificates will need to be issued by the electricians so does anyone know what exactly do I need so I can work out who is telling me the correct information?

One guy says that he will issue the electrical installation report, which will include the new consumer unit. Another guy says he will need to issue me with two reports. One for the consumer unit and another one for the electrical installation condition for the rest of the house.

I don't know who is right?? Does anyone know?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
mutley123/01/2020 20:23

the difference between a 6 way and 10 way consumer unit on screwfix is …the difference between a 6 way and 10 way consumer unit on screwfix is £10. but my question is, do i need the 10 way or the 6 way?

How would he know what you need in your house?
Is this the same property as the one requiring new sockets? If so, you might be best looking at a complete rewire, especially if you are renting it out to tenants. From what you said about sockets being surface mounted and have been previously knocked off by moving furniture, the house sounds like a potential death trap to me.
33 Comments
Typically an electrician would do an EICR before changing the consumer unit (Basically a test to see the state of the wiring) as there may be issues that arise, for example you may have a borrowed neutral somewhere that starts tripping your new RCD or RCBO depending on if you have decided whether a split RCD board is good enough for you as your current board may only have MCBs depending on how old it is

If this was satisfactory they would then change the consumer unit and Provide you with an electrical installation certificate for the board change.

You should then receive a third certificate with part p building control approval from the electrician, they can generate this themselves without going to building control as long as they are part of the scams (schemes) ie Stroma Niceic etc
Edited by: "dealhunter1237" 23rd Jan
dealhunter123723/01/2020 19:43

Typically an electrician would do an EICR before changing the consumer …Typically an electrician would do an EICR before changing the consumer unit (Basically a test to see the state of the wiring) as there may be issues that arise, for example you may have a borrowed neutral somewhere that starts tripping your new RCD or RCBO depending on if you have decided whether a split RCD board is good enough for you as your current board may only have MCBs depending on how old it isIf this was satisfactory they would then change the consumer unit and Provide you with an electrical installation certificate for the board change.You should then receive a third certificate with part p building control approval from the electrician, they can generate this themselves without going to building control as long as they are part of the scams (schemes) ie Stroma Niceic etc

the guy has come out the cheapest says that he will need to notify the works and if it is during working hours, he should get the certificate back and send that to me. i thought it was building control he was going to notify but reading your comment, he is talking about a different route?

he says then he can give me that certificate, but he would still need to do an electrical installation condition report which will state any failures in the circuitry and that is also sometimes referred to as a landlord certificate.

the second guy, who is more expensive, says he only needs to do a NICEIC certificate, which will cover the new consumer unit and the installation condition inspection of the property. i am assuming the second guy is giving me the incorrect information?
mutley123/01/2020 19:51

the guy has come out the cheapest says that he will need to notify the …the guy has come out the cheapest says that he will need to notify the works and if it is during working hours, he should get the certificate back and send that to me. i thought it was building control he was going to notify but reading your comment, he is talking about a different route?he says then he can give me that certificate, but he would still need to do an electrical installation condition report which will state any failures in the circuitry and that is also sometimes referred to as a landlord certificate.the second guy, who is more expensive, says he only needs to do a NICEIC certificate, which will cover the new consumer unit and the installation condition inspection of the property. i am assuming the second guy is giving me the incorrect information?

Changing a consumer unit is notifiable work. So they would need to test the original wiring, then replace the consumer unit & then test the installation.
Willy_Wonka23/01/2020 20:06

Changing a consumer unit is notifiable work. So they would need to test …Changing a consumer unit is notifiable work. So they would need to test the original wiring, then replace the consumer unit & then test the installation.

i know the mechanics of what they need to do. i am confused about the certificates that they need to issue as one guy says one certificate will do while the other one says two certificates will be needed.

they are both NICEIC approved installer.
Is this the same property as the one requiring new sockets? If so, you might be best looking at a complete rewire, especially if you are renting it out to tenants. From what you said about sockets being surface mounted and have been previously knocked off by moving furniture, the house sounds like a potential death trap to me.
the cheapest electrician has also said that he will install a 12 module 6 way consumer unit. is this big enough for the house? there are also 10 way consumer units available, would that be better? anyone know?
mutley123/01/2020 20:19

the cheapest electrician has also said that he will install a 12 module 6 …the cheapest electrician has also said that he will install a 12 module 6 way consumer unit. is this big enough for the house? there are also 10 way consumer units available, would that be better? anyone know?

For heavens sake. The cost of the two you mention is maybe £5.
Willy_Wonka23/01/2020 20:21

For heavens sake. The cost of the two you mention is maybe £5.

the difference between a 6 way and 10 way consumer unit on screwfix is £10. but my question is, do i need the 10 way or the 6 way?
The first contractor is correct in that he can notify the works himself as long as he is on one of the schemes, I believe it’s an instantly generated certificate. It is odd that he wants to do the condition report after however, this is usually done before and then the tests are once again completed and filled in on the installation certificate.

The second chap is also right in that he can fill in the installation report, it just comes with risk to you that if something doesn’t work it will be extra expense. If you get the condition report done before, you know exactly where you stand

Hope I’m not confusing you more

the difference between a 6 way and 10 way consumer unit on screwfix is …the difference between a 6 way and 10 way consumer unit on screwfix is £10. but my question is, do i need the 10 way or the 6 way?

How would he know what you need in your house?
dealhunter123723/01/2020 20:28

The first contractor is correct in that he can notify the works himself as …The first contractor is correct in that he can notify the works himself as long as he is on one of the schemes, I believe it’s an instantly generated certificate. It is odd that he wants to do the condition report after however, this is usually done before and then the tests are once again completed and filled in on the installation certificate. The second chap is also right in that he can fill in the installation report, it just comes with risk to you that if something doesn’t work it will be extra expense. If you get the condition report done before, you know exactly where you standHope I’m not confusing you more

oh dear. i am finding all this very confusing! i don't think it matters so much as to the timing of the installation condition report as done after the new consumer unit has been installed, it will include the new consumer unit. both electricians are going to do the report after the install of the new consumer unit.

the difference is that the first guy will generate a certificate for the new consumer unit, whereas the second guy says this not needed. this is where i do not know who is right. as the second guy says that the consumer unit certificate is not needed because he is going to issue an installation condition report.

Definitely a 10 way
OllieSt23/01/2020 20:37

Definitely a 10 way

instinctively without knowing much about consumer units, i would say the bigger the better so the 10 way. but i am wondering if there are constraint factors that would prohibit me from installing a 10 way unit that i may not know about as i don't know much about consumer units?

also i guess i should measure the space in the cupboard where the consumer unit is sited as there may not be enough room. the bigger box is 7 cm wider than the smaller box.
Are you getting a full rewire? If not, it’ll be the same number as ways as your current board, unless you want more future spare ways
Could burn the house down, get some cash back on some insurance before obviously
Edited by: "IIdentifyAsTransSlender" 23rd Jan
dealhunter123723/01/2020 21:07

Are you getting a full rewire? If not, it’ll be the same number as ways as …Are you getting a full rewire? If not, it’ll be the same number as ways as your current board, unless you want more future spare ways

i am not getting a full rewire. the existing consumer unit only has 5 fuse switches as it is an old unit so the 6 way will be one more. there are no switches left on the existing unit. having the 10 way will mean more circuits can be added in future if needed. as it only costs £10 more, it would make sense to do this if the only constraint is space in the cupboard for the bigger box.
Order of works
Eicr.
Correct any works that is needed from the Eicr.
Replace fuseboard for new.
Completed inspection and testing for fuseboard change.
Issue certificate.

Go with a recognised body ie NICEIC, Electsa, Dtorma, ECA etc.

For the minimum money get a 10 way board and future proof yourself.
Edited by: "darksideby182" 23rd Jan
I recently paid £300 to replace my ancient one. If I wanted a certificate, it would have been £70 more.
zworld23/01/2020 23:44

I recently paid £300 to replace my ancient one. If I wanted a certificate, …I recently paid £300 to replace my ancient one. If I wanted a certificate, it would have been £70 more.

i have had very differing quotes for the consumer unit, ranging from £260 to £350 and even £1,500!, which i dismissed.

you are required to get a certificate for a consumer unit change as it is notifiable work. it has to be installed by a part P qualified electrician so your electrician is probably dodgy.

you will not be able to sell the house without the certificate.
Edited by: "mutley1" 23rd Jan
mutley123/01/2020 23:49

i have had very differing quotes for the consumer unit, ranging from £260 …i have had very differing quotes for the consumer unit, ranging from £260 to £350 and even £1,500!, which i dismissed.you are required to get a certificate for a consumer unit change as it is notifiable work. it has to be installed by a part P qualified electrician so your electrician is probably dodgy.you will not be able to sell the house without the certificate.

Still got 15 years left, don;t think it will matter at the end.
zworld23/01/2020 23:51

Still got 15 years left, don;t think it will matter at the end.

you mean you still got 15 years left on the mortgage and you won't be selling your house until the mortgage is paid up?
mutley123/01/2020 23:56

you mean you still got 15 years left on the mortgage and you won't be …you mean you still got 15 years left on the mortgage and you won't be selling your house until the mortgage is paid up?

Yup.
deeky23/01/2020 20:17

Is this the same property as the one requiring new sockets? If so, you …Is this the same property as the one requiring new sockets? If so, you might be best looking at a complete rewire, especially if you are renting it out to tenants. From what you said about sockets being surface mounted and have been previously knocked off by moving furniture, the house sounds like a potential death trap to me.

I always like your posts
dealhunter123723/01/2020 20:28

The first contractor is correct in that he can notify the works himself as …The first contractor is correct in that he can notify the works himself as long as he is on one of the schemes, I believe it’s an instantly generated certificate. It is odd that he wants to do the condition report after however, this is usually done before and then the tests are once again completed and filled in on the installation certificate. The second chap is also right in that he can fill in the installation report, it just comes with risk to you that if something doesn’t work it will be extra expense. If you get the condition report done before, you know exactly where you standHope I’m not confusing you more

I think he means the condition report is what some landlords need when they have had the electrics checked as the installation certificate is no good for that. In my eyes might as well do in 1 go
mutley123/01/2020 20:35

oh dear. i am finding all this very confusing! i don't think it matters …oh dear. i am finding all this very confusing! i don't think it matters so much as to the timing of the installation condition report as done after the new consumer unit has been installed, it will include the new consumer unit. both electricians are going to do the report after the install of the new consumer unit.the difference is that the first guy will generate a certificate for the new consumer unit, whereas the second guy says this not needed. this is where i do not know who is right. as the second guy says that the consumer unit certificate is not needed because he is going to issue an installation condition report.

Both are correct just depends what you want
mutley123/01/2020 23:49

i have had very differing quotes for the consumer unit, ranging from £260 …i have had very differing quotes for the consumer unit, ranging from £260 to £350 and even £1,500!, which i dismissed.you are required to get a certificate for a consumer unit change as it is notifiable work. it has to be installed by a part P qualified electrician so your electrician is probably dodgy.you will not be able to sell the house without the certificate.

Not quite correct of course you can sell the house it may require a full electrical test if someone spots its been replaced
zworld24/01/2020 00:43

Yup.

15 years is a lifetime and a lot of things can happen during that time. you may plan to stay there forever but things change and you may find that you will want to move and sell the property well before that time is up.

I remember when i bought my first house. i was very young and naive so when the estate agent said to me that i should make sure i buy a house that i can sell as i am unlikely to stay there for more than 5 years. i looked at him in surprise and thought this guy is talking rubbish. why on earth would i ever want to move out of this house! but he was right, i moved out before I had been there for 5 years!

things happen that you never plan or expect.
cliosport6526/01/2020 07:39

Not quite correct of course you can sell the house it may require a full …Not quite correct of course you can sell the house it may require a full electrical test if someone spots its been replaced

when you sell a property the seller questionnaire requires you to declare if you have had any electrical works done at the property and if so, they want to see the installation certificate. if you can not produce this, then you are in breach of building controls as a new consumer unit is notifiable work. it means you would have to get building control round to get the inspection done and certificate issued, which will be costly, whereas getting the electrician to issue the certificate when he completes the work is a lot cheaper as he is already there and he is qualified to issue such a certificate.

when we sold our house recently, it transpired that we did not have a certificate for the new roof as we didn't know you needed one. the sale could not go through until we paid for building control to come round and inspect the new roof and issue a certificate. it was very expensive and if we had known about the certificate, we would saved ourselves the expense by employing a roofer who was a member of the competent persons scheme.
cliosport6526/01/2020 07:36

Both are correct just depends what you want

i think i will need both as i need the landlord certificate. i have had another quote who said i only need the consumer unit certificate and not the whole property one, and when i asked him why i wouldn't need the whole property one, he said that i don't need it for the new consumer unit install.

he told me to call the NICEIC and ask them to clarify so i will call them tomorrow and ask. it all depends on whether the consumer certificate certificate overrides the landlord certificate as in order to install a new consumer unit, the electrical circuitry at the property has to be inspected and must be satisfactory before a consumer unit can be installed anyway.
mutley126/01/2020 11:03

when you sell a property the seller questionnaire requires you to declare …when you sell a property the seller questionnaire requires you to declare if you have had any electrical works done at the property and if so, they want to see the installation certificate. if you can not produce this, then you are in breach of building controls as a new consumer unit is notifiable work. it means you would have to get building control round to get the inspection done and certificate issued, which will be costly, whereas getting the electrician to issue the certificate when he completes the work is a lot cheaper as he is already there and he is qualified to issue such a certificate.when we sold our house recently, it transpired that we did not have a certificate for the new roof as we didn't know you needed one. the sale could not go through until we paid for building control to come round and inspect the new roof and issue a certificate. it was very expensive and if we had known about the certificate, we would saved ourselves the expense by employing a roofer who was a member of the competent persons scheme.

Your partly right I have just bought a flat that has a new 18th edition consumer unit with no certificate, but as a landlord myself I have to get an inspection / testing certificate anyway so I wasn't too worried.

I don't believe that a new consumer unit is notifable work, and I will re check this as I had the solicitor check it too.
mutley126/01/2020 11:10

i think i will need both as i need the landlord certificate. i have had …i think i will need both as i need the landlord certificate. i have had another quote who said i only need the consumer unit certificate and not the whole property one, and when i asked him why i wouldn't need the whole property one, he said that i don't need it for the new consumer unit install. he told me to call the NICEIC and ask them to clarify so i will call them tomorrow and ask. it all depends on whether the consumer certificate certificate overrides the landlord certificate as in order to install a new consumer unit, the electrical circuitry at the property has to be inspected and must be satisfactory before a consumer unit can be installed anyway.

The landlord certificate will need to be done last as that will test the new consumer unit but is of no use on the NICEIC scheme, just a way of getting more money out of us poor landlords
cliosport6526/01/2020 12:04

Your partly right I have just bought a flat that has a new 18th edition …Your partly right I have just bought a flat that has a new 18th edition consumer unit with no certificate, but as a landlord myself I have to get an inspection / testing certificate anyway so I wasn't too worried.I don't believe that a new consumer unit is notifable work, and I will re check this as I had the solicitor check it too.

it is notifiable work

electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/fin…nd/

niceic.com/Nic…pdf
Edited by: "mutley1" 26th Jan
mutley126/01/2020 12:09

it is notifiable …it is notifiable workhttps://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/find-an-electrician/building-regulations/england/https://www.niceic.com/Niceic.com/media/Schemes/NICEIC-Part-P-Updated-Factsheet.pdf

Yes I see I just found it

Still good to know for future
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants