Groups

Replacing a Dimmer Switch with a Regular Switch

Hi,

I need to replace the dimmer light switch in my living room, with a reglar 'on/off' switch.
    It is the type of dimmer with one switch which you touch to turn on and off, and you keep your finger on it to change the brightness.
    Can anyone inform me how difficult this is to do?

Many Thanks

13 Comments

Easy, two wires

Should be two wires, could be three with an earth but just make sure you turn off at the fuse box first........or.........BANG.

Original Poster

philhib1964

Should be two wires, could be three with an earth but just make sure you … Should be two wires, could be three with an earth but just make sure you turn off at the fuse box first........or.........BANG.

Thanks for this. Is there any way I could keep the existing switch, but just disable the dimmer function?
    Really appreciate the advice

allsa001

Thanks for this. Is there any way I could keep the existing switch, but … Thanks for this. Is there any way I could keep the existing switch, but just disable the dimmer function?Really appreciate the advice

No, unless you want a posh one like stainless steel etc they only cost about 99p in B&M or similar shop.

if its 2 wires connect one to common and one to L1, that easy, if its working opposite simply turn tye lightswitch upside down

Switch off power.Slacken switch and take a couple of pictures.Remove 2 wires plus earth unless it is connected to pattress.Replace 2 wires on new switch,one to C and one to L1.Now switch on power.It switch operates wrongly then simply rotate switch
    Job done

The old system was un-earthed 2 wire - if you still have this, then you should not use a metal switch plate as it could become live if a wire was adrift... To be honest, if you still have in-earthed lighting circuits, you are probably overdue for re-wiring

Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help. I have managed to change the switch over now.
    The purpose was to allow me to fir in the Phillips Hue lights.

The problem is now that I have fitted the light bulbs, only one out of the three bulbs turn on.
    I know the bulbs are working, as I had them in lamps previously.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

allsa001

Thanks for everyone's help. I have managed to change the switch over … Thanks for everyone's help. I have managed to change the switch over now.The purpose was to allow me to fir in the Phillips Hue lights.The problem is now that I have fitted the light bulbs, only one out of the three bulbs turn on.I know the bulbs are working, as I had them in lamps previously.Does anyone have any ideas please?

3 lamps are supplied from the same switch?

If so, try swapping the lamps around, could be fault in the landholder, or faulty lamp.

Original Poster

Sorry for my confusing post andynicol.
    The lights are actually for a ceiling light, which holds 3 bulbs.
    The light was previously on a dimmer switch, however today I have swapped that for a regular switch.

I have 3 hue bulbs that I would like to put into the ceiling light. However when I insert them, only one of the bulbs lights up. I know that all 3 of the bulbs are working, as I have swapped them around, but it is only 1 of the light sockets which is working. I have replaced the hue lights with regular bulbs, and they work fine.

So I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do now.

allsa001

Sorry for my confusing post andynicol.The lights are actually for a … Sorry for my confusing post andynicol.The lights are actually for a ceiling light, which holds 3 bulbs.The light was previously on a dimmer switch, however today I have swapped that for a regular switch.I have 3 hue bulbs that I would like to put into the ceiling light. However when I insert them, only one of the bulbs lights up. I know that all 3 of the bulbs are working, as I have swapped them around, but it is only 1 of the light sockets which is working. I have replaced the hue lights with regular bulbs, and they work fine.So I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do now.

You've swapped around the lamps and all 3 work?

Has the ceiling light been altered in any way since you changed the switch?

Have you tried your old lamps in the ceiling light?

Original Poster

It's so strange, as if I put in the old bulbs, it all works again.
    It's just only one socket works with the hue bulbs.

Think I'll just have to give their customer support a call on Tuesday.

Original Poster

I feel like such an idiot. I got it working in the end.
    I was using E14 to E27 converters, and I really had to screw the bulbs in really tightly.
    Thank you for all your help
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…55
      2. Nintendo Ships Every Switch With a Hidden NES Emulator23
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!553760
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17826345

See more discussions