Replacing Back boiler...trialling smart thermostats in the mean time.

Posted 4th Jan
We've had a back boiler for about 3 years now, it came with the house. I was reluctant to change it due to the added cost - especially if the original item is still working.

But it is very limited, there is no thermostat - so we have no idea of the temperature - originally we couldn't even turn radiators off or on, I've since installed nozzles to change that. And I am aware that back boilers do cost more in the long run and parts have been discontinued but it seemed to be reasonably well.

However, we've just had a baby and my wife doesn't want him to get cold so she's been putting the heating on nearly all the time...even at night!!! Obvisouly this is total reasonable - but the latest fuel bill has really made me winch - the problem is we have a big house and we end up heating areas where no one is and the only way to avoid it is for one person, me, to go around turning off radiators - which I was doing but it does get tiresome.

So, I'm trialling a smart thermostat for each individual radiator in the mean time. I've only bought one - off Amazon - my hope is it'll provide total control of all my radiators and I'll have the freedom to set/lower/turn off etc. I'll let you know how it does.

But I am aware we need to look at replacing it altogether and I wanted to get peoples advice on which brands they'd suggest - because theres some on ebay for only £500 - much cheaper than I first thought but they only seem to have 5 years warranty which seems low. Also, I'd like to make it as 'smart' as possibly to save on energy going forward.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

4 Comments
Adding a boiler stat to an existing installation is usually a straightforward task; it is only a remote on/off switch triggered by temperature.
Can achieve 10 years warranty on many manufacturers' new boilers, usually subject to approved installers, flushing, certain filters, certain controllers and minimum annual maintenance. A recent thread suggested WB was about to promote 12yr wrty but no obvious sign of that yet hotukdeals.com/dis…134 and until then any 10+ yr wty is usually installer-underwritten subject to additional terms and cost and assumes the installing organisation will still be trading in xx years to honour any claims. There may be a few considerations with conversion from back boiler including location of replacement boiler within property and gas / water pressures.
Best thing about getting rid of our back boiler was the end to the really annoying cold draft from the mandatory ventilation hole in our living room wall, to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
Edited by: "melted" 4th Jan
It maybe better took get a new boiler installed, if you can afford it. Or if you are on a low income there is a good possibility of getting funding for a grant Which may make it free for a new boiler or possibly for a very low cost.
MynameisM04/01/2020 14:36

It maybe better took get a new boiler installed, if you can afford it. Or …It maybe better took get a new boiler installed, if you can afford it. Or if you are on a low income there is a good possibility of getting funding for a grant Which may make it free for a new boiler or possibly for a very low cost.

The assisted-funding options typically have reduced warranty of 1 or 2 years. Just making the observation for the benefit of any casual readers of the thread.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions