Replacing built in oven help

Found 22nd Jan 2013
Any help welcomed!

We have a kitchen with a built in oven that is really old and has just died and we are looking top replace it.

We measured it and went to Currys for a chat and the guy there was just saying we need the recess measured...he said you can pull the oven out and measure

The problem is also it doesn't have a separate fuse to isolate it and i assume we may need one for a replacement

Anyone ever had to do this before? I assumed it's be really easy and cookers would be standard sizes so you can just fit a new one if it breaks

I'd look the model up to get the dimensions if i could find any markings left of what make and model the cooker is but that's long gone

Would the recess be much bigger? Any ideas? Is it really easy to just pull an oven out...especially with no separate fuse so would have to switch off the whole kitchen to do it?

1. Misc
  2. Oven
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Oven
18 Comments

Assuming its an all electric one it will be easy enough to pull out to measure.

You can probably measure the outside of the cupboards and calculate the cavity if you think about it.

They are pretty much a standard size, not that anybody employed at Currys would know that..

If it is truly dead you are going to have to pull it out anyway. So you might as well to see what you need regarding wiring and sizes.

How is it wired in then if it doesn't have it's own fuse, just a fuseless spur?

You would only need to switch off the cooker control panel, that is double pole switched so would fully isolate the oven, however to be 100% safe, just trip the cooker trip at the mains, it will be on it's own circuit.

just make sure you buy a 'built under' and not built in one and it should be fine. the built under are smaller than built in one which sits in a larder style cupboard.

order the cooker with their installation service and they will be able to hard wire the cooker in for you and take away the old one.

i am in the same position as you as i am looking to buy their built in oven.

A slightly different issue.......I have a normal cooker and the main glass cover for the oven (door) has fallen off. Is there anyway of fitting it back on. I don't want to buy a new oven just because the door cover has fallen off.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone

The one issue i have is i cant find a fuse separate for the cooker in the kitchen. It's normally on the wall, or in a cupboard very close but there just isn't one and i don't know how much of an issue that will be.

The electrics only have a fuse for the kitchen in its entirety, nothing we can find that has the oven isolated

The person who lived there before was a bit of a diy person...but seems not great from other jobs we have found he tried

Its an electric under oven and gas hobs

richardcotton

Thanks everyoneThe one issue i have is i cant find a fuse separate for … Thanks everyoneThe one issue i have is i cant find a fuse separate for the cooker in the kitchen. It's normally on the wall, or in a cupboard very close but there just isn't one and i don't know how much of an issue that will be.The electrics only have a fuse for the kitchen in its entirety, nothing we can find that has the oven isolatedThe person who lived there before was a bit of a diy person...but seems not great from other jobs we have found he triedIts an electric under oven and gas hobs

That is not normal, I would get an electrician in to look in to that.

Is there no fuse on the main household fuseboard dedicated to the cooker?

mutley1

just make sure you buy a 'built under' and not built in one and it should … just make sure you buy a 'built under' and not built in one and it should be fine. the built under are smaller than built in one which sits in a larder style cupboard.order the cooker with their installation service and they will be able to hard wire the cooker in for you and take away the old one.i am in the same position as you as i am looking to buy their built in oven.

I would not trust Currys to change a fuse, let alone install an oven.

Original Poster

greg_68

Is there no fuse on the main household fuseboard dedicated to the cooker?

Nope...which is odd especially as we cannot find one in the kitchen to even isolate the oven

Electrician first it is

There will be enough cable on the oven to pull it forward and have a look how its connected (otherwise how would he have fitted it in), then you can work out if you want to remove it and measure it. If you need to disconnect it then isolate the mains (even if it is for the whole kitchen) disconnect the oven then you can reset the fuse for the rest of the kitchen.

richardcotton

Nope...which is odd especially as we cannot find one in the kitchen to … Nope...which is odd especially as we cannot find one in the kitchen to even isolate the ovenElectrician first it is

Safest option, it should really be connected to a cooker panel and on it's own circuit.

If its just a single oven it may just be just have an ordinary 13A plug and socket behind it (although it should also have a switch on the wall to isolate it). I think new installations have to be hard wired though

The smaller ovens are 2kw and I was suprised to find when my friend purchased one to change over that it come with a 13a plug fitted. Perhaps this is how this one is wired and connected in this kitchen?

hi i think the cooker might be wired in behind the cupboards on either side of the cooker but usually on the right it will not be behind the cooker as the heat of the cooker can trip the electrics but there is a red switch on the wall fitted on most of the houses in the last 15 years or so but not always it is down to who built the houses.but when i used to fit kitchen i call across this once before and the whole electrics had to be tripped for the kitchen.the wiring will be connected to a wall cover behind the cupboard on the right of the cooker behind the ply board to your cupboard hope this helps you

jynx88

hi i think the cooker might be wired in behind the cupboards on either … hi i think the cooker might be wired in behind the cupboards on either side of the cooker but usually on the right it will not be behind the cooker as the heat of the cooker can trip the electrics but there is a red switch on the wall fitted on most of the houses in the last 15 years or so but not always it is down to who built the houses.but when i used to fit kitchen i call across this once before and the whole electrics had to be tripped for the kitchen.the wiring will be connected to a wall cover behind the cupboard on the right of the cooker behind the ply board to your cupboard hope this helps you

That's a very long sentence.
Post a comment
@
    Text