Replacing garage door lock without a key.

Posted 23rd Jul 2020
Lost my only garage door key few weeks back and like most garages, it's full of junk from the house renovation. Still got access through side door. Now the local dumps are open, i need to clear the garage out but breaking up the larger stuff to take out the side door is hassle i could do without.
I've seen videos of people changing the locks and it does look easy, however they are using the key that fits and the lock is in the open position, but with no key and it locked, that is a little different.
Garage door is up and over and is it doable.
Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
If it’s like the last few garage doors I have had you can just pull on the two bars linked to the lock On the inside and it will open! Give that a go maybe?
I changed mine a few months ago. But I had the key, was a 2 min job.
Just one screw.
You might need to remove the whole back plate with the lock in it.
Then snap off the front of the lock and turn the inside and remove.
If you post a photo of the lock front, back and side view.
You might get more accurate advise
From the inside you will see the otherside of the handle. When unlocked, that would turn and pull the metal wires attached to release and open the door.

as you can’t turn the handle just undo the wires from inside or pull them correctly so they release what is holding the door closed. As you have access from inside, a decent handyman or locksmith should be able to replace it for you.
41480183-IgOu5.jpg
41480196-s7CI4.jpg
Images as requested. Won't let me put it in one thread41480208-QnAKY.jpg
I expect that turning the handle pulls the 4 metal bars In a direction that releases the locks at the edge of the door. If you undo the hexagon bolts connecting those bars to the handle and pull the bars correctly, the door will open. Getting it closed again could become tricky. i would have a handyman or locksmith sort the lock unless you feel you can order and replace the cylinder or entire mechanism yourself
Edited by: "Sam223" 24th Jul
A locksmith will still be able to provide a key for the lock, I had to do that years ago when I lost my one and only key. It may be worth investigating before you try to tackle it from the inside.

What about contacting Martindales, they may be able to provide the key number or a replacement which may be cheaper than a new lock. Good luck with it.
Right folks, managed to get the housing off and took out the lock. It's a 40mm (30/10) lock and seen that my local Tolostaion has one (round corner from my work, so easy enough to collect). Now when I click for collection, there is no option to buy but there is if it's delivery.
According to their website, click & collect is available but call & collect isn't (COVID 19), has anyone had any problems recently with Toolstation C&C.
Cheers
burnie200013/08/2020 17:39

Right folks, managed to get the housing off and took out the lock. It's a …Right folks, managed to get the housing off and took out the lock. It's a 40mm (30/10) lock and seen that my local Tolostaion has one (round corner from my work, so easy enough to collect). Now when I click for collection, there is no option to buy but there is if it's delivery. According to their website, click & collect is available but call & collect isn't (COVID 19), has anyone had any problems recently with Toolstation C&C.Cheers

Unsure what you mean as i’ve never heard of call and collect. Click and collect has been fine, used it a few times over last couple of months. Delivery is usually free over £10 but think it’s currently £15. Toolstation click and collect is basically the selected store reserving the item for you and keeping it ready to pick up (so ready almost instantly once ordered), as opposed to coming from a warehouse to the store like argos do
burnie200013/08/2020 17:39

Right folks, managed to get the housing off and took out the lock. It's a …Right folks, managed to get the housing off and took out the lock. It's a 40mm (30/10) lock and seen that my local Tolostaion has one (round corner from my work, so easy enough to collect). Now when I click for collection, there is no option to buy but there is if it's delivery. According to their website, click & collect is available but call & collect isn't (COVID 19), has anyone had any problems recently with Toolstation C&C.Cheers

Call & collect (telephone orders) have been suspended, just use click & collect.
toolstation.com/con…er6
I had an issue when trying to do click and collect via Safari. It kept telling me it was available at the branch, but when I selected to order it would ask me to select a branch in a loop. Then tried it on Chrome and it worked fine. I’d try another browser and you should be able to click and collect.
Edited by: "kaysdee" 13th Aug
Sam22313/08/2020 21:08

Unsure what you mean as i’ve never heard of call and collect. Click and c …Unsure what you mean as i’ve never heard of call and collect. Click and collect has been fine, used it a few times over last couple of months. Delivery is usually free over £10 but think it’s currently £15. Toolstation click and collect is basically the selected store reserving the item for you and keeping it ready to pick up (so ready almost instantly once ordered), as opposed to coming from a warehouse to the store like argos do

cuzzy13/08/2020 21:16

Call & collect (telephone orders) have been suspended, just use click & …Call & collect (telephone orders) have been suspended, just use click & collect.https://www.toolstation.com/content/clickandcollect&utm_source=Homepage&utm_campaign=ClickCollect&utm_medium=Carousel&utm_content=Banner6

kaysdee13/08/2020 21:34

I had an issue when trying to do click and collect via Safari. It kept …I had an issue when trying to do click and collect via Safari. It kept telling me it was available at the branch, but when I selected to order it would ask me to select a branch in a loop. Then tried it on Chrome and it worked fine. I’d try another browser and you should be able to click and collect.

Yeah, I know what click & collect does, what i'm saying is that no matter what product I select with plenty stock in branch or a different branch, it doesn't give me the option of paying unless it's delivery, regardless of browser or mobile.
Can one of you kind chaps (assuming it's in stock at your local) check to see if toolstation.com/sea…16 is stock and you have the option to collect.

Thanks
Simple job. All done from the inside. Just order the right depth of the locking mechanism. Wickes, B&Q & Screwfix.
burnie200013/08/2020 21:51

Yeah, I know what click & collect does, what i'm saying is that no matter …Yeah, I know what click & collect does, what i'm saying is that no matter what product I select with plenty stock in branch or a different branch, it doesn't give me the option of paying unless it's delivery, regardless of browser or mobile.Can one of you kind chaps (assuming it's in stock at your local) check to see if https://www.toolstation.com/search?q= 30816 is stock and you have the option to collect.Thanks

In the trolley page it indicates they will deliver even though i clicked “click and collect”. But when i continued to checkout then logged in, looks like it’ll work fine.
Else head down to store and purchase, in my experience, their stock tally is usually very accurate
Sam22314/08/2020 08:00

In the trolley page it indicates they will deliver even though i clicked …In the trolley page it indicates they will deliver even though i clicked “click and collect”. But when i continued to checkout then logged in, looks like it’ll work fine.

No matter what I tried, it still doesn't work properly for click & collect. When I chose select branch, it doesn't add to trolley, only adds to trolley when choosing the delivery option. Try to change it before payment page and just revert to delivery again. Go to payment and it wants to charge me delivery.
Is there one of those hard to find Accept Cookies boxes that is stopping it from proceeding? Or do you have any pop up blockers?
Just tried on mine and it wouldn’t accept collect until I logged in, then once logged in, let me go all the way through to pay.
kaysdee14/08/2020 20:31

Is there one of those hard to find Accept Cookies boxes that is stopping …Is there one of those hard to find Accept Cookies boxes that is stopping it from proceeding? Or do you have any pop up blockers?Just tried on mine and it wouldn’t accept collect until I logged in, then once logged in, let me go all the way through to pay.

Tried turning off adblock/cookie extension, still won't work. It's annoying more than anything, just means i'll not be ordering through them.
Post a comment
@
    Text