Replacing hard drive in a laptop

Found 2nd Aug 2015
Has anyone ever done this? It means I have to go through the keyboard on my HP 255 G3 as I want to change to an SSD, however I did try removing the keyboard but it's clipped in so tight I'm terrified of breaking it! Any tips? Thanks
Community Updates
AskHard Drive
14 Comments
try you tube dude
Try youtube its usualy good source for such things.are you sure there is no removable cover on the base?
Edited by: "arachnoid" 2nd Aug 2015
If the HDD area can't easily be accessed via it's own compartment, I wouldn't recommend trying to change it yourself.
There's too many clips, cables and fastenings that can break or come loose.
All that stuff inside is packed tight. And usually it's meant to be dissembled (without the correct tools).

I speak from experience, you might end up destroying it.
One thing that worked for me is having a video recording of the steps. Also I take photos of any every step and components so that nothing is missed. Youtube is a good primer.

But laptops are different beasts with a degree of complexity. Better pay a tenner to the laptop store to do it rather than nuking a piece of kit worth 200 quid. Think of it as insurance.
Edited by: "bftb" 2nd Aug 2015
Yeah guess you're right. I'm not sure how much a PC shop would charge me really.
It looks like its under a cover on the base according to this if its the correct model
youtube.com/wat…8JM
done it couple months ago on same model, easy enaugh!
We've already gone through this. Remove the Dvd drive and swap it for a SSD. It's only 1 screw and it won't invalidate your warranty.
kester76

We've already gone through this. Remove the Dvd drive and swap it for a … We've already gone through this. Remove the Dvd drive and swap it for a SSD. It's only 1 screw and it won't invalidate your warranty.

Agreed - just watched youtube video HP 255 - Disassembly and fan cleaning and AFAIK it's two screws to access the harddrive bay - the tutorial goes through everything to strip down but you don't need to remove battery but looks like you need to remove one cover to access the 2 screws to remove harddrive
You can't access it from the base. That video is a very slightly different model.
philphil61

Agreed - just watched youtube video HP 255 - Disassembly and fan cleaning … Agreed - just watched youtube video HP 255 - Disassembly and fan cleaning and AFAIK it's two screws to access the harddrive bay - the tutorial goes through everything to strip down but you don't need to remove battery but looks like you need to remove one cover to access the 2 screws to remove harddrive

I would remove the battery anyway just to make sure everything is de-powered before you unplug anything
mikey_d

I would remove the battery anyway just to make sure everything is … I would remove the battery anyway just to make sure everything is de-powered before you unplug anything

Apparently it's the wrong model - this is the G3....very awkward HP 250 G3 disassembling and fan cleaning
philphil61

Apparently it's the wrong model - this is the G3....very awkward HP 250 … Apparently it's the wrong model - this is the G3....very awkward HP 250 G3 disassembling and fan cleaning

I was just commenting on removing the battery before unplugging anything
Jay if you're somewhere in Essex, as I see your profile says East of England I'd be happy to render some assistance if you need it and are relatively local.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants