Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 18th Nov 2021
When the mate 20 pro launched I got it straight away being my first Huawei phone and and the happiest I've been with a smartphone since the start of smartphones. it was the shame they have the Google beef because I probably would have moved to another of their phones as I think their phones are very well made. (I've had every iPhone up until the iPhone 6s before moving back to Samsung).

3 years on and it's starting to show it's age, it is even telling me the battery is draining quicker. It's still in pretty good condition with even the nice blue and purple back in in still looks brand new. I probably like to keep it it until it dies so I'd like to replace it as soon as possible anybody suggest any phones in 2021 that would be a good replacement?

I use an iPad which means I'm not really missing out on the whole iPhone hype, so Android suggestions would be useful.

if this type of discussion is for you please chime in and thank you for your comment.
3827249_1.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

40 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    Anonymous User
    Whatever phone you end up getting I think you'll be disappointed, there are no big jumps from the mate 20 pro
  2. Avatar
    Huawei official do battery replace for £39 at the moment. But you do need a spare phone when sending it off.
    consumer.huawei.com/uk/…ce/
  3. Avatar
    Phones haven't really improved much since and the kirin chips were amazing for their time.
    I had s20+ after mate 20 pro and now have s21, id say go for the s21 but dont expect to be blown away as not much has changed but the in screen fingerprint reader is much better on s21, everything else is on par (edited)
  4. Avatar
    Author
    Thanks to everyone who's taken time to make a comment.its really food for thought. I like I'm not the only one that can't let go of this phone!
  5. Avatar
    Still on the mate 20 pro here too, just can't justify spending money on something I might not like, good job I've got a decent power bank
  6. Avatar
    Budget?

Any other requirement?
    Dual sim?
    sd card?
    Camera?
  7. Avatar
    Huawei. Great phones. Superb build quality. Damn you Trump! (edited)
  8. Avatar
    Maybe look at the mate 30 / 40 pro and just sideload Google services back into it if you felt comfy doing that?
  9. Avatar
    Still love my Huawei Mate 20 pro. Battery is showing signs of age and suspect it will need a replacement within the next 6 months or so I have looked into upgrading but nothing really stands out.
  10. Avatar
    For the record AccuBattery reports my battery health at about 81%

I've only really started to notice the degradation recently. Still last a day which is acceptable for now.
  11. Avatar
    How about Google Pixel 6?
  12. Avatar
    Author
    .MUFC.18/11/2021 15:14

Still love my Huawei Mate 20 pro. Battery is showing signs of age and …Still love my Huawei Mate 20 pro. Battery is showing signs of age and suspect it will need a replacement within the next 6 months or so I have looked into upgrading but nothing really stands out.

That's exactly my dilemma! It's such a great phone flaws and all!
  13. Avatar
    Oppable18/11/2021 18:24

That doesn't sound too bad How long have you had yours?

3 years I think, It was an epic black Friday deal. Also there was a glitch on my Vodafone account and it never billed me properly. In the end they wrote off a dept of £700 due to their error. Plus I still got cashback etc hence they pretty much paid me for the privilege etc. (edited)
  14. Avatar
    deleted271394518/11/2021 14:47

Whatever phone you end up getting I think you'll be disappointed, there …Whatever phone you end up getting I think you'll be disappointed, there are no big jumps from the mate 20 pro

Agree. I'm still using my Mate 20 pro and nothing justifies the cost to get a near identical experience from the current flagships.

hope for something a bit more exciting than what's churned out year after year in 2022. Maybe the flip and fold are the start of making phones more exciting again
  15. Avatar
    I was in the same dilemma recently with my P20 Pro. Battery was shot and it had been a great phone for over 3 years. I did quite a bit of research and ended up going for the Realme X50 Pro 5G which I got for the steal price of £350. It's worth noting that when I first looked at trade in for the P20 Pro at CEX during the early Google ban days, it dropped as low as £40! When I traded my P20 in a few months ago I got £109 so you may get similar which could go towards a new phone 🏻
  16. Avatar
    I've gone from a Mate 20 Pro to a Note 20 Ultra
    Happy with the Note, not a huge upgrade but has 5g and the all important memory card slot as I ran out of space on the Huawei
  17. Avatar
    Author
    Pirouette18/11/2021 23:59

I've gone from a Mate 20 Pro to a Note 20 UltraHappy with the Note, not a …I've gone from a Mate 20 Pro to a Note 20 UltraHappy with the Note, not a huge upgrade but has 5g and the all important memory card slot as I ran out of space on the Huawei

How's the Samsung experience on OS comparied to Emui?

Gollywood18/11/2021 14:34

Huawei. Great phones. Superb build quality. Damn you Trump!

I agree, we would have got a lot more software updates and wear updates and integration if none of that happened! Would have been epic! (edited)
  18. Avatar
    In the same boat DK what to get!!
  19. Avatar
    How is everyone doing, still rocking the Mate 20 Pro?

I'm in the same boat as many, battery isn't as strong so I'm considering upgrading but can't find anything to tempt me, especially at the stupid prices phones are!
  20. Avatar
    g8spur:
    How is everyone doing, still rocking the Mate 20 Pro?

I'm in the same boat as many, battery isn't as strong so I'm considering upgrading but can't find anything to tempt me, especially at the stupid prices phones are!

I took the decision to get the s21 when there was the black Friday deal from Vodafone. Honestly, whilst it's not a huge upgrade compared over the huawei , it's an excellent phone. Plus, it was an amazing price at £359 then I got £100 cashback to make it overall £259. BARGAIN.
  21. Avatar
    Author
    Mark_Hickman18/11/2021 14:27

Phones haven't really improved much since and the kirin chips were amazing …Phones haven't really improved much since and the kirin chips were amazing for their time.I had s20+ after mate 20 pro and now have s21, id say go for the s21 but dont expect to be blown away as not much has changed but the in screen fingerprint reader is much better on s21, everything else is on par

Thanks, I considered the S21 before but thought as there wasn't much difference but better camera and slightly better performance I decided against it before as I thought I was just paying for the bloatware and name. If I was going for Samsung I'd probably go for there most recent note? Are you enjoying the S21?

Cisco06060618/11/2021 14:32

Budget?Any other requirement?Dual sim?sd card?Camera?

Thanks for the responds not really got too many requirements just something similar. Never needed anything like dual SIM and the SD card that was missing in the mate pro 20 has gone unnoticed. Storage been excellent. Definitely a better camera than 48 megapixels if it's available. (edited)
  22. Avatar
    Oppable18/11/2021 15:06

Thanks, I considered the S21 before but thought as there wasn't much …Thanks, I considered the S21 before but thought as there wasn't much difference but better camera and slightly better performance I decided against it before as I thought I was just paying for the bloatware and name. If I was going for Samsung I'd probably go for there most recent note? Are you enjoying the S21?Thanks for the responds not really got too many requirements just something similar. Never needed anything like dual SIM and the SD card that was missing in the mate pro 20 has gone unnoticed. Storage been excellent. Definitely a better camera than 48 megapixels if it's available.

Yes i quite like my s21 its fast, camera is great in my opinion, battery lasts all day and the size is perfect for me, i hate wide phones personally.
    The mate 20 pro is a slim phone will the note note be way to big or does size not bother you ? I found the s20+ too wide after the mate 20 pros long thin design, so dropped down to standard on s21 which is perfect for me since they've increased battery capacity this year (edited)
  23. Avatar
    Author
    Cisco06060618/11/2021 15:40

How about Google Pixel 6?

It's looking good, I think I'm looking at the pro?

Cisco06060618/11/2021 15:26

Huawei official do battery replace for £39 at the moment. But you do need …Huawei official do battery replace for £39 at the moment. But you do need a spare phone when sending it off.https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/huawei-care/battery-replacement-service/

Thank for this information, I didn't know they were doing this. I previously sent off my Huawei Watch 4g for repair which they said they couldn't fix and tried to say the replacement would be the original retail price to replace when it they have newer models for the same price or less. I'm thinking of moving away from Huawei, thanks again! (edited)
  24. Avatar
    Author
    .MUFC.18/11/2021 15:33

For the record AccuBattery reports my battery health at about 81% I've …For the record AccuBattery reports my battery health at about 81% I've only really started to notice the degradation recently. Still last a day which is acceptable for now.

That doesn't sound too bad How long have you had yours?
  25. Avatar
    Author
    nopartylikeansclubparty18/11/2021 19:51

Still on the mate 20 pro here too, just can't justify spending money on …Still on the mate 20 pro here too, just can't justify spending money on something I might not like, good job I've got a decent power bank

Haha, I don't think I'd be able to remember to pick up my power bank. My phone barely get remembered

Blurryface18/11/2021 14:51

Maybe look at the mate 30 / 40 pro and just sideload Google services back …Maybe look at the mate 30 / 40 pro and just sideload Google services back into it if you felt comfy doing that?

I've heard about sideloading but never really looked into it because I was under the impression this would invalid the warranty on the phone. I'm not sure how true that is but it did put me off. Mate 30/ 40 pro look like such good phones too! (edited)
  26. Avatar
    Author
    A_H202024/11/2021 16:26

In the same boat DK what to get!!

Let us know how it goes! We're all hunting for that new phone that doesn't quite exist yet
  27. Avatar
    Getting our Mate 20 Pro for £350 was the best deal we ever got on a phone, still going strong
  28. Avatar
    My thinking is go for xioami, but I just can't pull the trigger, the megapixals seem bigger but don't think the quality is there..... At this rate I will still have this phone in several years
  29. Avatar
    Cisco06060618/11/2021 15:26

Huawei official do battery replace for £39 at the moment. But you do need …Huawei official do battery replace for £39 at the moment. But you do need a spare phone when sending it off.https://consumer.huawei.com/uk/support/huawei-care/battery-replacement-service/

I was looking into this earlier (when Switchy posted a Deal about the Mate 20X / 4G). There's only two Huawei Service Centres in London, so I thought maybe I couldn't redeem the offer.

But here it says:

• Q: I have purchased the HUAWEI Care - Official Battery Replacement Service, but there is no HUAWEI Authorised Service Centre near me, what should I do?
    • A: You can request a postal repair service, we will collect and deliver your device to our HUAWEI Authorised Service Centre – do not worry, logistics fees are covered by us.

The offer runs out on 31/1/22.46179220-75buQ.jpg (edited)
  30. Avatar
    Mate 20 pro just received December security update
  31. Avatar
    Author
    teerex11/12/2021 16:58

Mate 20 pro just received December security update

Good news! It hasn’t come through yet on my device.
  32. Avatar
    It came through to me yesterday... Happy days, the mate 20 pro lives on
  33. Avatar
    g8spur10/03/2022 07:41

How is everyone doing, still rocking the Mate 20 Pro?I'm in the same boat …How is everyone doing, still rocking the Mate 20 Pro?I'm in the same boat as many, battery isn't as strong so I'm considering upgrading but can't find anything to tempt me, especially at the stupid prices phones are!

I've still got mine

I've got AccuBattery app and it suggests my battery health is 83% 3,481 mAh v the 4,200 mAh when new. Still perfectly capable. I'll be sticking for another year I think.

I did drop it recently so it's got the tiniest chip in top left corner but in an area you can't see.

Maybe a Black Friday deal will tempt me.
  34. Avatar
    Any new thinking on this? I'm still using mate 20 pro....
  35. Avatar
    mchu6am415/04/2022 22:08

Any new thinking on this? I'm still using mate 20 pro....

I just was about to bump this! Same question. My battery is definitely struggling now. Get about 4 hours screentime now.
  36. Avatar
    g8spur16/04/2022 09:54

I just was about to bump this! Same question. My battery is definitely …I just was about to bump this! Same question. My battery is definitely struggling now. Get about 4 hours screentime now.

Just bought a power bank case for mine to help it last a bit longer. Battery is still fairly good on mine, Can last most the day but definitely starting to dwindle a bit now.
  37. Avatar
    EMUI 12 is out for it now too.
  38. Avatar
    dcx_badass18/04/2022 23:03

EMUI 12 is out for it now too.

Yep, just landed here now.... Happy happy days 😁 the 20 pro lives on
  39. Avatar
    So glad I found this. Same boat. I was Samsung for years considering a Pixel to avoid bloatware and this Mate 20 Pro just blew all the tech specs out of the water for everything else. It's 4 years old now and the battery is suffering but I can't pay £50 a month for a S21 Ultra to get slightly improved specs
  40. Avatar
    Hi what screen protectors for the mate 20 pro?
Top Merchants