Replacing Sky TV with Amazon Prime and Now TV passes?

Found 7th Jan
I'm with Sky and am currently paying £30.24 for Broadband (Sky Fibre Unlimited) and Talk. On top of that I'm paying £32.00 a month for the Variety package and I have the Sky+HD box, so in total £62.24 a month - I have been with them for just over a year now.

I bought an Amazon Fire Stick a couple of weeks ago and I also have Now TV (no subscriptions though) in one of the bedrooms. I need to cut this cost down so am thinking about getting rid of Sky TV and using the Amazon Fire Stick and then subscribing to Now TV's entertainment pass for £7.99 and the Kid's channel for £2.99 a month, so a maximum (might be able to get subscriptions cheaper online, perhaps eBay) of £10.98 a month, saving me £21.02 a month. However, some channels I would still like to have, one of which is Disney X D for my young son (not on Kid's pass) and there might be other channels that I currently get with Sky that the Fire Stick and Now TV don't cover.

Would I be able to install Kodi on to the Amazon Fire Stick and would it give me these extra channels? I'm only asking, as I have noticed several people talking about it. If Kodi is installed, is the quality ok when watching programmes, like through the Amazon Fire Stick? I don't think that I can find a cheaper deal for the Broadband and Talk, unless somebody knows of one? Or, perhaps is there another package deal that is cheaper? From what I have read, it is really difficult to get Sky to give you a cheaper deal, even if you say that you are leaving them. Any advice appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
14 Comments
Ring sky tell them you want a cheaper deal and want to pay at least 50% off now and a credit on your bill. I have the same package as you and pay £23.50 per month. Go on live chat if you dont like ringing.
Oh and btw Sky WILL ALWAYS give you a cheaper deal.
Original Poster
SteMoss7 m ago

Ring sky tell them you want a cheaper deal and want to pay at least 50% …Ring sky tell them you want a cheaper deal and want to pay at least 50% off now and a credit on your bill. I have the same package as you and pay £23.50 per month. Go on live chat if you dont like ringing.

Did you find it difficult to get it at that price? That's incredibly cheap - less than the Variety TV package alone. Did they give you the deal straight away or did you give your notice to leave before they offered that deal? I'd love to get it at that price. Thank you.
Even with discount sky tv isn’t worth it. Nowtv (which is owned by sky) is great and has all the major stuff you might want, you can’t miss what you don’t have. Had sky tv and then Virgin tv and ditched the lot.

Have nowtv, Netflix and prime. Freeview too (although never watch live tv anymore). Have broadband only through Virgin, and have vonage for phone line £8.50 a month for unlimited anytime uk calls.

I hear a lot of the tv sources on kodi are disappearing so probably not worth relying on kodi, and it’s illegal.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 7th Jan
Go on live chat tell them it costs too much. They will offer you about 10% at first. Say no. Tell them few of your friends get 50% off and have done for years. If you get no where with that advisor, end the chat & start a new one with a new advisor, tell them the same thing see what they offer. Each advisor offer different deals. Best thing to do is to actually cancel thats when they offer you the best deals.

Dont be ashamed to ask!

Be careful about them trying to tie you into 12/18month contracts unless you don’t mind that.

Ask for a bill credit on top too!
£62 a month on tv :-) ask ya son if he would rather go on holiday then watch his channel. Get freeview job done.
Sophiasky4 h, 13 m ago

Did you find it difficult to get it at that price? That's incredibly cheap …Did you find it difficult to get it at that price? That's incredibly cheap - less than the Variety TV package alone. Did they give you the deal straight away or did you give your notice to leave before they offered that deal? I'd love to get it at that price. Thank you.

We got 40% off with a 10 ish minute phonecall and absolutely no hastle, just a couple of months back. Downside was and 18m contract, but at a price we were happy with.

Also why not look into moving broadband and getting a cheap introductory offer for the first year. Again we did this and got a £100 prepaid card and cheaper price when moved to BT
cmdr_elito7 h, 26 m ago

Even with discount sky tv isn’t worth it. Nowtv (which is owned by sky) is …Even with discount sky tv isn’t worth it. Nowtv (which is owned by sky) is great and has all the major stuff you might want, you can’t miss what you don’t have. Had sky tv and then Virgin tv and ditched the lot.Have nowtv, Netflix and prime. Freeview too (although never watch live tv anymore). Have broadband only through Virgin, and have vonage for phone line £8.50 a month for unlimited anytime uk calls.I hear a lot of the tv sources on kodi are disappearing so probably not worth relying on kodi, and it’s illegal.

Hi mate. Can I ask, what's vonage?
Vonage is basically voip. Which means it’s like a landline in that it has a phone number but the call is routed via the internet. You have a box that plugs into your router and the normal landline phone plugs into it. Meaning if you have Virgin broadband you don’t need a landline. If you have fibre to the premesis via BT you can also use it. I was even able to transfer my existing landline number (it was a Virgin landline) over so if you called me you would have no idea it wasn’t a normal landline.

Only draw back is that if your internet goes down so does your phone line, but that isn’t a problem for me as have a mobile with unlimited calls anyway, I only keep it for the in laws to call to as they are out in the sticks and have no mobile reception.

They also do some other tariffs with inclusive or cheap calls abroad. Great you have a lot of family abroad.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 7th Jan
Original Poster
I have just spent 30 minutes talking to a Sky adviser about getting a better offer. I'm currently paying £32 a month for the Variety TV package and £30.24 for Unlimited Broadband and Anytime calls. The adviser said that the best he could do would be to reduce my monthly bill from £62.24 to ££55.24, so a saving of £7 a month. He also told me that if I decided to get rid of the Sky TV package, my tv package would go up from £32 a month to £42! I've just given 31 days' notice for both, so in the meantime will wait and see if they make me a better offer.
Original Poster
Sophiasky1 m ago

I have just spent 30 minutes talking to a Sky adviser about getting a …I have just spent 30 minutes talking to a Sky adviser about getting a better offer. I'm currently paying £32 a month for the Variety TV package and £30.24 for Unlimited Broadband and Anytime calls. The adviser said that the best he could do would be to reduce my monthly bill from £62.24 to ££55.24, so a saving of £7 a month. He also told me that if I decided to get rid of the Sky TV package, my tv package would go up from £32 a month to £42! I've just given 31 days' notice for both, so in the meantime will wait and see if they make me a better offer.

Sorry, I meant to say that my broadband package would go up from £32 to £42 if I gave up my Variety Sky tv package.
Original Poster
I have just been sent this in am email:-

Your Sky Talk and Sky Broadband Fibre will be cancelled on 09/02/2018.

Please note it can take up to ten working days for the broadband service to be removed from your phone line, after which your new provider will be able to take over your phone line.

Does this mean that on 09/02/2018 when my services are cancelled, I will then have to wait up to 10 working days without any internet at all? What happens if I find another provider a week or so before this date, does that also mean that I can't have their internet up and running for up to 10 working days after 09/02/2018 then? I hope not, as I rely on the internet for my work!
Look into IPTV
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants