Replacing spot lights - am I missing something

Posted 2nd Dec
Hi

I’m in the process of getting my bathroom ceiling replaced and getting new spots.

So the electrician came to remove the old ones and he left them on the side.

I was comparing them to the ones I bought at the weekend when I popped into the shops and they look completely different....am I missing something....sorry if a dumb question...

Pics are below. I couldn’t ask him as I was not in and I don’t it to be a wasted second fix for him

3354364.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
I’d say you’re missing saying which one is which.
Oneday7702/12/2019 21:44

I’d say you’re missing saying which one is which.

Right hand side is old one. The white one is the new one
old ones are better.
new ones look cheap.

Old ones are in a contained unit so probably IP rated + fire retardent and stop moisture getting into the cavity.

new ones are just open units. Hope you're at leaast putting fire hoods on them/
Looks like you bought bathroom rated, non-fire/insulation rated spots. If the bathroom is upstairs with no room above then your fine. However you should have something over them to let insulation let on top.
If you do have a room above, the sparky should advise you bought the wrong thing.
Depends on where your lights are in relation to sink/bath etc As a general rule, an electrician to is well advised choose low voltage, not the 240v GU10s in you picture
Edited by: "ccnp" 2nd Dec
Oneday7702/12/2019 22:09

Looks like you bought bathroom rated, non-fire/insulation rated spots. If …Looks like you bought bathroom rated, non-fire/insulation rated spots. If the bathroom is upstairs with no room above then your fine. However you should have something over them to let insulation let on top. If you do have a room above, the sparky should advise you bought the wrong thing.

The sparky mentioned getting IP65 rated lights which these are
ccnp02/12/2019 22:16

Depends on where your lights are in relation to sink/bath etc As a …Depends on where your lights are in relation to sink/bath etc As a general rule, an electrician to is well advised choose low voltage, not the 240v GU10s in you picture

They are down the middle of the bathroom not above shower, sink or bath
AdamWalkerGX702/12/2019 22:37

The sparky mentioned getting IP65 rated lights which these are

That means they are water and dust resistant. They do not however cater for the top of them being covered by insulation or will they act as a fire break.
It’s not necessarily wrong, that is situational.
the old one is fire resistant and recommended for ceilings where there is no loft as far as i understand. the new one doesn't look fire resistant at all as there is no casing to protect the wiring and bulb.
mutley102/12/2019 23:35

the old one is fire resistant and recommended for ceilings where there is …the old one is fire resistant and recommended for ceilings where there is no loft as far as i understand. the new one doesn't look fire resistant at all as there is no casing to protect the wiring and bulb.

Hi - thanks. I do have a loft above the bathroom....I’ll chat to the sparky and see what he thinks
found this on google, which explains about fire rated downlights. i can't find the one about being important if you don't have a loft space that i had found before. this article states you need this for recessed lighting to help prevent spread of fire through the ceiling, so i would assume any upstairs ceiling to stop the spread of fire into the roof area.

this won't be so important for the ceilings downstairs as there are other ways for the fire to spread from downstairs to upstairs i guess. i got those fire rated ones at my house in the upstairs bathroom. if i were to replace it, i would want to make sure i get the one with the casing. i have looked at them and they cost more than the one your electrician has installed. i got the ones like he has installed downstairs.

lyco.co.uk/adv…ts/
Edited by: "mutley1" 3rd Dec
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions